Baroque Guitar Strumming tutorial

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Azalais

Baroque Guitar Strumming tutorial

Postby Azalais » Thu May 29, 2008 4:01 pm

Yet another compelling reason to play without nails, here is a very well done tutorial by Rob MacKillop:
Rasqueado and Strumming technique for Baroque Guitar:

[note tuning at A=415hz :P ]

Juergen Schenk
Teacher

Re: Baroque Guitar Strumming tutorial

Postby Juergen Schenk » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:15 am

Thank you for posting this very interesting video Azalais! Some time ago I listened to an old recording from Emilio Pujol and I loved the sound. Since that time I consider to cut off my nails- but i do not have the heart to do this :oops:
Put me back on my bike - Tom Simpson

Rainwater

Postby Rainwater » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:35 pm

Hello Azalais.....I appreciate this video.....also.....I am hooked into the '020' group....thanks.

Ron, who owns music/guitar shop, sold me my guitar, has been playing since he was 5, performs/records, plays with really long nails/mostly flamenco.....told me when I said I will have difficulty playing with nails because my hands are in water a lot because of my job.....said some of the 'old masters' thought a true sound of the guitar couldn't be played with nails.....so there! I'm learning slowly.....whether with nails or without....the strings have to been plucked properly for a nice round sound.

later

Azalais

Postby Azalais » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:16 am

You need to thank RobMac for making this wonderful video (he just joined as a member :mouton:)

I love playing without nails... I does take some getting used to, but it IS worth giving it a serious try. (and yes... they do grow back out if you don't like it :P )

Conner

Postby Conner » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Wow, that was very cool !

I am trying to find more Strumming ( Flamenco Based ) music. So this was a treat to watch !

Would anyone have a direction to point me in when it comes to Spanish based Classical Music ?
There is a short few within the Delcamp library. Perhaps some names of Spanish Guitar Composers ?!?!

Who knows,

WEnglish1968

Postby WEnglish1968 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:17 pm

I was looking for this kind of information just the other day. Great video! :merci:

kestimones

Postby kestimones » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:21 am

Really great
thanks RobMac
Kestimones

Azalais

Postby Azalais » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:53 pm

Conner wrote:Wow, that was very cool !

I am trying to find more Strumming ( Flamenco Based ) music. So this was a treat to watch !

Would anyone have a direction to point me in when it comes to Spanish based Classical Music ?
There is a short few within the Delcamp library. Perhaps some names of Spanish Guitar Composers ?!?!

Who knows,

If you want to try something that combines Spanish/strumming/Early Music... you might enjoy some of the music of the composer Santiago de Murcia (try samples of a CD by Rolf Lislevand called Codex, or the de Murcia CD by Richard Savino) also some of the Gaspar Sanz pieces (Try samples of the CD by Xavier Diaz-Latorre called Laberintos Ingeniosos) Not Spanish, but some of the Robert de Visée pieces for Baroque Guitar also have strummed and plucked combinations. (an especially nice one is by Andrea Damiani on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qiwVIXdiU4

All of these are relatively easy to find, but there are more...

flamencoguido

Postby flamencoguido » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:30 pm

As a flamenco guitarist as well as classical, I have played some early compositions with that technique on a flamenco guitar with the tap plates. Even if it may correct in terms of historical context, given the rarity and expense of a Baroque Guitar, I would not even think of doing that. Over the long term that can devastate the top finish.

Azalais

Postby Azalais » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:56 pm

Most baroque guitar players play without nails... and many of them strum over the neck instead of on the body... but you are right... watching someone with long nails even hold one of these fragile beauties, does give me shivers of anxiety! :shock:

jbtaylor892

Postby jbtaylor892 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:23 pm

Is the Baroque guitar tuned the same as the standard guitar? E A D G B E From 6th string to 1st string.

Azalais

Postby Azalais » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:47 pm

Most Baroque Guitars have only the top five pairs of strings e,bb,gg,dD,aA) and there are several ways that the pairs were tune (different use of high octaves versus bass strings. In the late 1700s there some examples of Spanish (Cadiz school) Baroque Guitars that 6 pairs (courses) like vihuelas, and we can probably assume that they used modern guitar tuning or occasionall vihuela tuning with (3)=F#.

Valéry Sauvage

Postby Valéry Sauvage » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:51 pm

Azalais wrote:Most Baroque Guitars have only the top five pairs of strings e,bb,gg,dD,aA) and there are several ways that the pairs were tune (different use of high octaves versus bass strings.

Most often is e bb gg Dd aa or Aa. if octaves used, always on the thumb side.
Val ;-)
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

Azalais

Postby Azalais » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:09 pm

That is what I thought too, Luthval... but in the Craig Russell book about Santiago de Murcia, he mentions at least five different stringing methods! :shock: I think that Monica Hall has done a lot of research on this topic too. I have tried different variations and some work better than others! :oops:

Valéry Sauvage

Postby Valéry Sauvage » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm using this one on my recordings
e bb gg Dd aa
The advantage is it is suitable for Sanz and De Visée. (I don't like to change strings when I play this or that, and have no money to have many baroque guitars... alas but I know people having many vihuelas, don't you ???? :lol: :lol: )
V.
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

Return to “Reference Library”