Free Guitar Software

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
mark8

Re: Free Guitar Software

Postby mark8 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:43 pm

Great sources. Thanks.

EricH

Postby EricH » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:22 pm

Thanks for the links. I agree that holding your guitar in hand is the best teacher. But it is always nice to have a diversion once in awhile, even if it is just to try something a different way.

rama1302

Postby rama1302 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:02 pm

Thank you so much fot the posting. Means a lot...

Brian Monaghan

Postby Brian Monaghan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:52 pm

Thanks for this link. I have a guitar student who is on the road a lot, without a guitar often. This will be a great tool for him to work on sight reading.
:merci:
"I am not young enough to know everything." ~Oscar Wilde

GuitaristOrdinate

Postby GuitaristOrdinate » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Thank you for the link , the first one " GuitarNoteReading " is what I've been looking for . :merci:

Cédric

Postby Cédric » Fri May 15, 2009 11:39 am

I'm the guy who made http://sed.free.fr/sight and I thank you for the positive feedback I read here.
There is no answer given because I thought it would be better, maybe that's not a good strategy, I don't know.
I didn't put any score (like "you have 10 points") or timing information for I don't like this kind of things. We are musicians, we organize time by ourselves. And this is not a contest, so score is meaningless. :-)

I wrote this little webpage for I wanted to learn my fretboard. I'm glad to read that some people find it useful. The problem is that I never really used it so my sight reading didn't improve that much. I now would tend to think that the best way to learn your fretboard is to pick the guitar up and play by reading various pieces, trying to focus on associating the notes you play with what you read. Well, at least for me (the maker of the stuff), this little program was not very useful. Ironic, no? :-)

Happy guitar to all!

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Postby Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Fri May 15, 2009 12:10 pm

Haha! :lol:

Great 1st post, Cedric!

You are most welcome here and we are honored to have you! Please take a moment to tell us more about yourself in the "Introduce yourself" section.

With your knowledge of software, I'm sure you'll be a valuable contributer to the Forum. :D

Alan

Olarte

Postby Olarte » Fri May 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Cédric wrote:I'm the guy who made http://sed.free.fr/sight and I thank you for the positive feedback I read here.
There is no answer given because I thought it would be better, maybe that's not a good strategy, I don't know.
I didn't put any score (like "you have 10 points") or timing information for I don't like this kind of things. We are musicians, we organize time by ourselves. And this is not a contest, so score is meaningless. :-)

I wrote this little webpage for I wanted to learn my fretboard. I'm glad to read that some people find it useful. The problem is that I never really used it so my sight reading didn't improve that much. I now would tend to think that the best way to learn your fretboard is to pick the guitar up and play by reading various pieces, trying to focus on associating the notes you play with what you read. Well, at least for me (the maker of the stuff), this little program was not very useful. Ironic, no? :-)

Happy guitar to all!

Cedric very very nice web based program.

Is there any chance that you could port this so it can be used with Windows Mobile? I use, Opera (Java), IE, and Skyfire on my phone and it would be great to have this available on the road.

Also it would be great (Even if web based) to have a similar program for other instruments. I play a C Tenor Ukulele, and it would be nice to learn the fretboard with your program.

Even as is, it's a nice resource!

Cédric

Postby Cédric » Mon May 18, 2009 7:14 am

olarte, sorry but the answer is a no to your questions. For the ukulele, you may do it yourself by looking at the sources and adapt a few numbers here and there. You wil need the picture of a ukulele too. Sorry, I don't have much time for that.
For the mobile version, that sounds like a good idea, indeed. But I don't even own a cellphone, so it's going to be hard for me to do. :-)

Tarbaby, I used to post in the french forum a few months/years ago. I also sent a few messages here but with the new (well, for me it's new) policy to suppress accounts after a few months of inactivity, I suddenly disappeared from here. :-)

By the way, I wonder what software you use to compose music (for the guitar)? I tried to make a program called "gcomposer" to compose some music for the guitar, but it doesn't work well for me. I wonder if the best way to compose is not to pick the guitar, find tunes on it and write them down on paper (so no computer at all). Do you think we could have some kind of "magic" software with a nice interface that would let us use the computer as if we were composing with a guitar under our fingers? I mean, in a "psychological" way, it would be exactly the same to compose with a guitar or with this "magic" software, you would make the same music. Do you think it's possible or should I just forget about this idea?
(And I mean compose music, not typeset it. The goal is to create new music, not write it down on some nice file to be printed with the finest laser printer out there.)

Olarte

Postby Olarte » Mon May 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Cédric wrote:olarte, sorry but the answer is a no to your questions. For the ukulele, you may do it yourself by looking at the sources and adapt a few numbers here and there. You wil need the picture of a ukulele too. Sorry, I don't have much time for that.
For the mobile version, that sounds like a good idea, indeed. But I don't even own a cellphone, so it's going to be hard for me to do. :-)

No problem at all Cédric, it was just an idea, as it is your program and web page are very very useful. So Thanks!

manolom777

Postby manolom777 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:49 am

In my humble opinion as a total beginner, I think that it is good to take advantage of all the tools we can, in order to make our learning fruitul and fun. It is a great idea to use technology as an aid, and in no way anybody is saying that a computer can substitute time with your guitar.
Thanks for posting all these links.

oddtime

Postby oddtime » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:19 pm

The best method is hands on your guitar.

Mickmac

Postby Mickmac » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:11 pm

Can't believe no-one has mentioned TuxGuitar - the free, open source multitrack tablature editor and player. It's a sort of open source version Guitar Pro (it even reads guitar pro files). it's available for Windows, Mac, Linux and FreeBSD. It has lots of cool features including a virtual fingerboard.

I am not sure if a direct link is permitted but google "TuxGuitar" and you'll find it.

atza

Postby atza » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:15 am

Or this one,(not free,but quite useful in free demo mode):

Google for "desktopmetronome" for the site, then follow the link for "Guitar Notes"

LauraB

Postby LauraB » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:22 pm

The information you all provided below is incredible! Just what I've been looking for - thank you all!

I've been a tab reader for 30-something years and am forcing myself to transition to the "real thing". However, finding that my brain is somehow not cooperating as well as I would like is getting frustrating. Perhaps these sites will trigger something in my head that will get me over this hump.

If I happen to stumble over anything not metioned here, will let you all know.

Thanks again for the info - much appreciated.

LauraB

Return to “Reference Library”