Books on Studies and Instruction for Classical Guitar

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
schattnik

Re: Books on Studies and Instruction for Classical Guitar

Post by schattnik » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:40 pm

I am new to the forum this week so am catching up by going through threads like this. An excellent but overwhelming listing of material. I thought the initial list was long, but if one adds in all the supplements identified, the list probably doubles.

My inclination is to start collecting and working through many of these materials, but that just feeds into my tendency to surf through musical materials without going into anything in depth. As such, I will stick with my current Gang of Four until I finish going through them before progressing. The Four include:

Pujol Book 2
Segovia Scales
Segovia 20 Selected Sor Studies
Pumping Iron ( with companion DVD and CD)

These give me exercises, scales, practice routines, and nice musical selections as a supplement to what I get from my CG instructor, who composes his own studies which focus on various technical issues.

Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:24 am

[quote="schattnik"]my tendency to surf through musical materials without going into anything in depth.[/quote]Nothing wrong with surfing through books. Once you've been doing it for a while, study materials become repetitive (and with a lot of thickening useless drivel to begin with). In fact, that is precisely the right way of reading music books -- plowing through superficially looking for interesting stuff and then only working on that stuff. Study books (not only musical ones, of course) are not novels that require a careful cover-to-cover reading. There's a moment in life where you should start reading less and playing (and thinking) more.

Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:27 am

schattnik wrote:my tendency to surf through musical materials without going into anything in depth.
Nothing wrong with surfing through books. Once you've been playing and studying for a while, study materials become repetitive (and with a lot of thickening useless drivel to begin with). In fact, skimming is precisely the right way of reading music books -- reading through superficially looking for interesting stuff and then only working on that stuff. Study books (not only musical ones, of course) are not novels that require a careful cover-to-cover reading. There's a moment in life where you should start reading less and playing (and thinking) more.

Pulgar

Post by Pulgar » Tue May 21, 2013 6:27 pm

'Play Classical Guitar' by Harvey Vinson

We know Harvey Vinson from the excellent 'Worlds Favorite Solos for Classical Guitar #43' collection, and he also wrote a beginner instruction book. It is intended for self-teaching and is still widely available.

Prashanth Sebastian

Post by Prashanth Sebastian » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi suvius well done .

It is an excellent work,very informative. :bravo:
thank you.
:merci:
But the first delcamp link is not responding :shock:
sometimes it shows error 404 .
:bye:

Evaldo Correa

Post by Evaldo Correa » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:33 am

Hi folks,

I would like to mention a similar work on CG compillation that worths a visit, no matter it is in portuguese. I think you should give a try. There is so far a list of 231 methods and collections.

http://www.violao.org/topic/7368-metodo ... page-8?hl= métodos coletâneas

This is my contribution! I hope you find it useful.

Cheers,

Evaldo.

noctivago

Post by noctivago » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Ericka_Lima wrote:i think Metodo Henrique Pinto - Iniciação ao Violão Vol I and vol 2 it's a good book for guitar beginers.
I have those. :D

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:02 pm

so what's the point of the list? It's just a list.

The most thorough (and definitely the most difficult) methods I have examined (and I examined most if not all the ones in the list) are the vol 1 and 2 of Richard Pick's 'School of Guitar'. I don't think anything comes close to them, right from the beginning it's already grade 6 ABRSM or something. In fact, these are not meant to beginners at all.

Today I got the method by Harry Pellegrin, it has a whopping 370 pages so I had to have it. Very pleased, there's a ton of stuff. My other favourites are the OLD vol. 1-2-3 by Mel Bay (not the one by Yates, which at grade 1 is way too elementary to me). I also like the two by Parkening, plus the 'Gradus' by Ruggero Chiesa and the ones by Mauro Storti too (top notch methods for serious students, but only available in Italian),

RWiecha

Post by RWiecha » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:31 am

For someone who wants to play not only classical guitar pieces but still play on classical guitar I would recomend

"Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar"
by Berle, Arnie

Porl

Post by Porl » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:12 pm

I think Olivio Gianolas exercises are quite beautiful, but they are in the flamenco end of the spectrum. You can download them on PDF from his website.

banco

Post by banco » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:11 pm

Hi all! I want to practice again after stopping many years. Really appreciate the useful list

Zabava77

Post by Zabava77 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:23 am

This is a website :oops: , but I found good exercises for beginners for right hand (did not start the left hand yet). Hope it may be useful:
http://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/
Carpe Diem

Alhambra 7c

skipneumann

Post by skipneumann » Thu May 19, 2016 4:37 am

La Technica Degli Arpeggi per chitarra by Guglielmo Papararo
"Extensive collection of arpeggio studies. An excellent supplement to the works of Giuliani. The first section includes 135 open string studies which are excellent for focusing exclusively on the right hand. Other sections include extended shifting arpeggios, diatonic arpeggio progressions, and more." --Brad DeRoche

banco

Post by banco » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:44 am

A very useful list. I find the Christopher Parkening books very good to me.

Many thanks for the post.

Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:14 pm

I am new to this forum and the classical guitar, but I have been playing guitar for almost 40 years, mostly with a pick and just a little fingerstyle in the blues/rock/jazz genres. Now I would like to turn to classical, and I am trying to figure out what books would be best to start out with given that I can already read music and have good knowledge of the fretboard and the left hand, but I need a lot of help with the right hand both in fingering and tone production.

I've looked through Noad's Solo Guitar Playing Vol. 1, Parkening Method Vol. 1, and Pumping Nylon (the old version). Noad and Parkening don't seem to have as much indication of which right-hand finger to use as Pumping Nylon, which itself has some indications but not always. Perhaps using one, two, or all three of these in combination with something else will get me going. I may decide to get a teacher, and I've seen that suggestion a lot in perusing the forum. But in the meantime, can anyone suggest which book or books I should look into or how to proceed with some self-teaching? Thanks.

Bob
Cordoba C10 CD/IN

Return to “Reference Library”