Books on Studies and Instruction for Classical Guitar

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
rama1302

Re: Books on Studies and Instruction for Classical Guitar

Post by rama1302 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:22 am

Emilio Pujol's Theoretical-Practical Method for the Guitar is available at *** Commercial link removed *** for about 45$. It's a used copy but I'm not sure if its worth of money. I need somebody's opinion, please.

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue May 05, 2009 1:54 am

I owned one of the volumes, and lent it to my brother-in-law over 10 years ago. I didn't care for it a bit, but that's just me. It's pretty detailed, quite like Aguado's method.

rama1302

Post by rama1302 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:23 am

Thanks for the inout Sean. The one I was giong to order was in pretty bad shape so I gave up on it. I've got one of the Sagreras guitar method books instead.

rustuk

Post by rustuk » Wed May 27, 2009 8:17 am

John Mills seems to be sadly neglected in mentions on this Forum which is a pity since not only is he a magnificent guitarist but in my opinion he has the finest tone I have ever heard since Segovia
This statement is so true

Having just started playing classical guitar again ,i find his
(Music From the Student Repertoire series 1 and 2)very good
My copies are old and tatty now(well used)some nice music in these books
yours Neil

Ericka_Lima

Post by Ericka_Lima » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:06 pm

i think Metodo Henrique Pinto - Iniciação ao Violão Vol I and vol 2 it's a good book for guitar beginers.

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi Ericka_Lima,

Welcome to Delcamp. Please take the time to introduce yourself here.

:merci: Vito
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:48 pm

suvius wrote:This is an on going collection of books that I have been compiling for my own reference and I thought I might as well post it here. It by no means attempts to contain all the books available but merely is a list of books that were of interest to me while browsing this forum and the internet. Cheers!
Nice thread, thanks for the list.

You should consider adding Aaron Shearer's Scale book It's great for warm-ups as it has a LOT of scales with all sorts of patterns.

Also I just got some exercises from my teacher. It's mostly in German but I believe it's Giluiani's Left Hand Studies and they are hard but good. I'm still struggling through the first exercise. It eventually builds to all sorts of intervals up and down the fretboard. good stuff!

David Wade

Post by David Wade » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:53 am

Hi, might of missed this reading through the thread , but does anybody remember a book by Gearge Clinton of Left and Right Exercises - back in the 70s ....
Thanks

GuitaristOrdinate

Post by GuitaristOrdinate » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:12 pm

I just finished reading Melody & Harmony for Guitarists by John Duarte for the second time , the first being years ago . There's a lot of dry reading but the knowledge Mr Duarte imparts is well worth all the struggles .
I only wish I could have absorbed a fraction of it . Maybe if I read it yet again . :chaud:
I know this book has been mentioned before in passing but it deserves a second look by all truly devoted classical guitarists and be warned it does take devotion to read through it ( at least it did for me :oops: ) but I still have to highly recommended the book .

David Wade

Post by David Wade » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:49 pm

Hi GuitaristOrdinate,
How does "Melody & Harmony for Guitarists by John Duarte" relate to the Lance Bosman book ? Do they cover the same ground ?

GuitaristOrdinate

Post by GuitaristOrdinate » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:26 pm

David Wade wrote:Hi GuitaristOrdinate,
How does "Melody & Harmony for Guitarists by John Duarte" relate to the Lance Bosman book ? Do they cover the same ground ?

I don't know David , I've not read Lance Bosman's Harmony For Guitar but I've just this minute ordered the last copy in stock from A**z*n . Have you read it and what's you review of it .

Ed

David Wade

Post by David Wade » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the reply -well no, actually...I was going to buy it years ago and then drifted into other styles of playing. I'm picking up the "pieces" and have come across a reference or two. I have a copy of Duarte's Foundation Studies..which I got for a couple of quid in a charity shop. I'll get hold of a copy Bosman as well and we'll compare notes?
David

britinvasion64

Post by britinvasion64 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi Kevin...thanks for the link to Mr. Provost's site - I found his lesson excerpts an interesting read.
I currently am using Aaron Shearer's latest edition of Learning the Classical Guitar volumes and I also have Charles Duncan's The Art of Playing Classical Guitar, both of which espouse much of the approach that Mr. Provost is repeating - I have to admit though, that Mr. Provost's technique explanations that I read online seem more to the point, and for me at least, are much easier to understand without constant reference to physiology and muscular-tension terminology.
From what I read, though, I'm not certain that I would learn anything more from Mr. Provost's technical publications than I would from the two that I already am working with? Is there anything so new in his technical approach that it is missing from the other two? My resources are limited and I don't necessarily want to purchase another technical method that would simply prove redundant.

Cheers!

David Wade

Post by David Wade » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:14 pm

Hi Ed,
I've managed to locate a copy of each book - let you know when they arrive.
Regards
David :D
GuitaristOrdinate wrote:

I don't know David , I've not read Lance Bosman's Harmony For Guitar but I've just this minute ordered the last copy in stock from A**z*n . Have you read it and what's you review of it .

Ed

David Wade

Post by David Wade » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi Ed my copies arrived at the weekend, did you get the Bosman book too?
David Wade wrote:Hi Ed,
I've managed to locate a copy of each book - let you know when they arrive.
Regards
David :D
GuitaristOrdinate wrote:

Ed

Return to “Reference Library”