Books on Studies and Instruction for Classical Guitar

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
oddtime

Re: Books on Studies and Instruction for Classical Guitar

Postby oddtime » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:23 pm

I love the list but its a little overwhelming. Is there unbiased reviews of these on the site? In particular I am interesed in the diffrences in the three main method books Parkening, Shearer, and Noad.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:52 am

oddtime wrote:I love the list but its a little overwhelming.

Yeah, I hear you :-) ... I liked this list too -- and I have quite a few books on it, and I just bought the recommended Fernandes book (thanks for mentioning it: it is unique in some respects, very good) -- but otoh, I wonder if we get too taken by study materials of this sort. You can't really buy it all w/o financial ruin, and even if you could, you'd spend the rest of your life reading this stuff. Maybe just listening and playing is more important, or at least, it becomes so at some point of proficiency. I mean, there's tons and tons of advice literature; some of it good, some of it obviously written half-heartedly, purely in order to earn a couple of bucks (understandably: for most people, performing itself doesn't pay well)...

At least it'd be nice to set up something like an annotated bibiography, kind of like in Gliese's book -- so that one could pick the books more immediately suitable to his situation. Otherwise it's just too many books, reading them will take all your time. And of course, this list, however extensive, is nothing next to what's available in general. Here's an idea: if you like a particular book, write an overview of it, from your personal standpoint. Maybe a separate thread can be given to each book started by someone's review of the book; with the ensuing discussion. That'll beat regular reviews posted on sites like A***n where, first, most reviews are stupid and nonspecific, and second, you can't trust them 'cause they look like they've been written by authors or publishers themselves to "move the merchandise" as it were. The congregants here, otoh, would be free from such motivations and in a better position to review guitar/music books to begin with. (And although I'm sure the industry could send their myrmidons here too, they would be easily outted and banished.)

What do you think?

fazley

Postby fazley » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:29 am

What an amazing collection of Books. I sadly only have a few in my collection. Thank you.

kfman

Postby kfman » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:26 am

Until I have a teacher lined up, the study books I have for classical guitar are:

Christopher Parkening, Vol 1
Mauro Giuliani;s 120 Studies for Right Hand
Pumping Nylon

.... and while rummaging through my other music stuff I found the Mel Bay Classic Guitar Method Volume 1 from 1960 with a price of $1.25. The pages are yellow. Things sure have changed for book prices. I think I bought it in 1968 or 69 and never learned from it. I was more into folk back then as a beginner. Now I'm a beginner again with classical and no turning back. :D

Blind Lemon

Postby Blind Lemon » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:00 pm

I have been looking, unsucessfully, for Emilio Pujol
Guitar School: Based on the Principles of Francisco Tarrega -Book One, Two and Three
The books come highly recommended, but they do not seem to be readily available.

While the originals are written in Spanish, I am sure there are english translations out there.

Are you aware of any sources for new or used copies of these works?

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Postby Larry McDonald » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:36 am

Hi,

Blind Lemon wrote:I have been looking, unsucessfully, for Emilio Pujol
Guitar School: Based on the Principles of Francisco Tarrega -Book One, Two and Three
The books come highly recommended, but they do not seem to be readily available.

While the originals are written in Spanish, I am sure there are english translations out there.

Are you aware of any sources for new or used copies of these works?

They are available from Editions Orphee, Columbus.

All the best,
Larry McDonald

Patrie

Postby Patrie » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:38 pm

Beginners (like myself) considering Tennant's "Pumping Iron" might want to read this interview:
http://www.lacg.net/artistpage_tennant.htm

In it, Tennant mentions that "Pumping Nylon" is not "progressive" and intended "mainly for the college level student". Many of the "Pumping Nylon" exercises are "difficult and very challenging", Tennant remarks.
He seems to suggest that his "Classical Guitar Method" book might be better suited to the beginner.

Bob

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Btw, for the beginner: I think a good option is the recent book by Romero. I checked it out in a store and thought it pretty good.

Patrie

Postby Patrie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:08 pm

Which Romero? There are 4 of them in the family, I believe.
Is it "The Art of Spanish Guitar" by Celino Romero ?
A search doesn't come up with many results.

Thanks.

Harley

Postby Harley » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:58 pm

Thankyou for the extensive list. It will take many hours of research investigating them all.

john connor

Postby john connor » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:48 pm

Thanks for the list - it's very comprehensive.

However, at the risk of sounding a discordant note, I have to say that I have my doubts about Abel Carlevaro's Microestudios, especially for beginners - I know that a lot of people admire them and a lot of teachers use them, but I have to say I personally don't "get" them in that I find it hard to discover, let alone express or present, the musical point.

I'm sure you know what I mean: you start any piece by looking at the notes, struggling to find them on the fretboard, and eventually polishing the performance to the point where the musical idea emerges and can be heard by you and whoever is around - it's often worth to compare what you eventually end up with to what you started with - sometimes the difference between these two stages is enormous and you realise that the piece is saying something entirely different to the original impression it gave you - these surprises are one of the great pleasures of playing an instrument!

With Carlevaro's studies, I see the notes and I can find them on the board, but that's it - nothing else ever emerges for me - I'm sure it's my own fault and I'd welcome any light people can throw on the problem! - in my defence, I do "get" Brouwer's studies which may be comparable to some extent.

John

Conrad Lwin

Postby Conrad Lwin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:14 pm

I was amazing by the list of books.
Thanks a millions for your great efforts.

Conrad Lwin
Myanmar (Burma)

BryanWhite

Postby BryanWhite » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:56 am

I may have missed them in all these posts, but the Royal Conservatory of Music Guitar series is really nice, although the Delcamp books are better and free to members of this awesome forum! :D :merci:

jc2fingers

Postby jc2fingers » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:17 pm

a wealth of information. I could stay busy for years. Thanks.

Scanbran

Postby Scanbran » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:56 pm

I only had the Frederick Noad one from those mentioned (Solo Guitar), but what a list!

I'll be ordering one or two more quite soon :)

Return to “Reference Library”