Books on Studies and Instruction for Classical Guitar

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
SusanGRas

Re: Books on Studies and Instruction for Classical Guitar

Post by SusanGRas » Thu May 06, 2010 10:31 pm

Thank you so much for such a useful list! I wanted to add that someone suggested I purchase Classical Guitar Pedagogy, A Handbook for Teachers by Anthony Glise. I am only a beginner and I thought why would I buy a book on how to teach classical guitar but I went with the advise and there is a storehouse of info on teaching but it is an instruction for the beginner as well! It adds explanations of why guitarists do things as they do. So many books, so little time! Thanks again!

Mad Hatter

Music Books in General

Post by Mad Hatter » Sun May 16, 2010 6:08 pm

How about augmenting this list with a list of your favourite non-guitar-specific music books? I don't mean general interest, I mean stuff like music theory and the like.

ron4540

Post by ron4540 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:12 pm

Mr. Delcamp,

My kindest regards for offering this resource. As a new player, it has been a challenge to find the "right" music to practice -- not too easy & not too difficult.

These graded collections are wonderful! I have struggled in the past with buying books online, and then returning them because they were too easy or hard. Now I have lots of appropriate material to practice.

Ron

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:13 pm

That's a pretty extensive but very traditional list. I've reviewed the majority of those titles (not the Pujol yet or a few others), but I've also reviewed a lot not mentioned here. A while back I posted something about my recommendations...

Anyway, the Noad vs Parkening vs Shearer question: they're similar. Shearer is probably the most progressively done, Parkening a good general mix, Noad a little more challenging but some unique elements and more diverse styles with more Flamenco influence. I use them all with different students. I'm also big on the Sagreres methods.
Other things beginners might consider are: Richard Corr's Guitar Academy books (but I'm waiting for the next revised versions for various reasons before I use them more with my students), Yates' Mel Bay's Modern Classical Guitar Method, Larry McDonald's Conservatory Tutor, and the decent but not remarkable Modern Approach series from Charles Duncan. More advanced students might check out Richard Pick's School of Guitar, which is great for traditional diatonic and jazzy stuff (not so much for contemporary or international styles).

tony

Post by tony » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:47 pm

May I suggest the 'royal conservatory of music-guitar series-grades 1 thru 8' ? Each one (CG) has a chronilogical spectrum-everything from the ren. to the 20th century (from Sanz to Smith-Brindle). Great for study and repetiore.

Mauro Storti

Re: Tremolo Study Book

Post by Mauro Storti » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:05 pm

"I am wondering if someone could recommend a good book for tremolo technique. Thanks in advance for the advice"
You can find a very good exercise in Mauro Storti L'arte della mano destra(English text) Ed.Carisch.

tony

Post by tony » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:48 pm

have you tried 'vladimir bobri-complete study of tremolo for classical guitar'?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:18 pm

The complete compendium of tremolo is The Art of Tremolo
see my post in this more relevant topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51358#p557740
After my post things degraded into dumb semantic argument about what counts as tremolo, but you might be interested in reviewing that topic anyway, certainly my post I just linked which lists the contents of that book.

joseplluis7

Post by joseplluis7 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:50 pm

I'm following the Freredick Harris 'guitar series', as my instructor told me. Is there anybody following it?

tony

Post by tony » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:57 pm

Josep,
If you mean the 'Royal Conservatory Guitar Series-grades 1 thru 8' by F.Harris Music, then the answer is yes. I think thats one of the best guitar study collections out there-and I've seen many over my 31 years of playing.
Tony

joseplluis7

Post by joseplluis7 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:08 pm

tony wrote:Josep,
If you mean the 'Royal Conservatory Guitar Series-grades 1 thru 8' by F.Harris Music, then the answer is yes. I think thats one of the best guitar study collections out there-and I've seen many over my 31 years of playing.
Tony
yes! that's what I meant. still a long way ahead to me. I've completed the introductory volume, now learning the 1 book of the series.

tony

Post by tony » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:09 am

Even grade 1 is great! Stick with it.
T

Christian Martin

Post by Christian Martin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Great collection, indeed.I can recommend Ricardo Iznaolas "Kitharologus",it is a collection of valuable exercises for both hands including nearly all aspects of different techniques and fits perfectly to every student because of the methodic structure.For every level you can find the study that fits...A must for every guitarrist who is on the path...Chantarelle has made a nice work-book... :bravo: Chris

ralphd

Post by ralphd » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:05 am

many thanks for the comprehensive listing offered in this discussion. It has inspire me to acquire another Noad anthology and to look further into the Provost lessons and resources. I never cease to be amazed by the collective knowledge offered by forum members.

Edwardo

Post by Edwardo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Thanks!!!

Return to “Reference Library”