Sight reading book

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Tonyd

Sight reading book

Post by Tonyd » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:27 am

Can anyone recommend a good classical guitar sight reading book for a beginner?

Jeff Kross

Re: Sight reading book

Post by Jeff Kross » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:20 am

Hi again, Tony -- I believe a commonly recommended book is Williams Leavitt's "Reading Studies for Guitar," published by Berklee Press. You can get it from several online sources, including the big river website. (You're new here, so you'll quickly learn we're not supposed to have any links to commercial sites. The "big river" site is the Delcampian euphemism for the big online retailer named after the river in Brazil.) That volume includes positions I through VII; there's also an "Advanced Reading Studies for Guitar" which includes the remaining higher positions.

However, an equally (and, from my perspective, certainly more pleasurable) method for improving your sight reading is to get some anthologies of simple, single line works (Bach is good for that) and just read through them. Pick a new piece every day and read through it. Guaranteed to improve your sight-reading over time. (In fact, I owned both volumes of the Leavitt books at some point a few years ago. I hardly even opened them, and recently donated them to the local public library.)

jfcx

Post by jfcx » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:17 pm

I suggest "Sight Reading for the Classical Guitar" by Robert Benedict, which I have used with some success.

However, as Jeff pointed out, working through an anthology of simple works is often more entertaining and probably equally beneficial (if not more). What works best for me is to play studies by Sagreras. Many of them use the higher positions and I find them highly useful to improve both sight reading and knowledge of the guitar neck.

David McHarg

Post by David McHarg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:01 pm

You might find this post useful.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39951

80guitarguy

Post by 80guitarguy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:44 pm

There are 2 series that I recommend:

1. Sight Reading for the Classical Guitar - by Robert Benedict, as mentioned above

2. Joining the Dots for Guitar - published by the ABRSM.
I really recommend this series for anyone interested in sight-reading at beginning to intermediate levels. There are 5 books in the series and each volume is organized by key, with warm up exercises, improv suggestions, and actual pieces. There are also duets and trios at the end. This is a GREAT series.

Cheers
80guitarguy
Ramirez 130 Años Cedar
Savarez 500CR NT
============================================================

raebanluv

Post by raebanluv » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:07 pm

what i did to improve my sight reading was i did some Sor,Carcassi and Giuliani studies (until now). improves my sight reading, and also my right hand and left hand. I also used my solfeggio book 2(Dannhauser) but instead of singing i use my classical guitar to sight read. The ones stated above were also helpful. :)

JeffHopkins

Post by JeffHopkins » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:45 pm

John Kember's "Guitar Sight-reading" volumes 1 and 2 are some new ones I discovered. They are pretty thorough from very easy (good for young students) to more advanced. Also includes duets too.

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Guitar Sample Sight Reading Pieces by Michael Lewin (Trinity College of Music, 1986)
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:00 pm

I was familiar with sight reading as a young boy learning to play the violin at a local music Academy. When I became interested in learning the CG I researched various sources for sight reading books and the best most useful for me were the two volumes published by Alfred Publishing Co. under the title..."Sight Reading for the Classical Guitar" by Robert Benedict. One volume goes from Level 1 to 3 and the second volume includes Level 4 and 5.
Each volume sells for $12.95 and they are worth the cost. You will be well verse in playing music for the CG from these volumes.

JohnEllis
Student of the online lessons

Post by JohnEllis » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Jeff Kross wrote:...an equally (and, from my perspective, certainly more pleasurable) method for improving your sight reading is to get some anthologies of simple, single line works (Bach is good for that) and just read through them. Pick a new piece every day and read through it. Guaranteed to improve your sight-reading over time.
Agreed. Additionally, you can get a book of "easy" guitar duets and practice sight reading each part individually, so you get the bass strings and also the treble. You can sight read up an octave, down an octave (where possible). You can sight read in 0/I position, and again in IV, or VII position (depending on Key). Finally, you can sight read up a fourth, so you would play a C note as a higher F, etc.
If music be the food of love, play on. --Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 1.1

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:31 am

I also recommend the Robert Benedict books, very good. They progress very well, very easy at that start and just gradually get that bit harder as you go through the book.

Return to “Reference Library”