Barrios

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Jakesplanet

Barrios

Postby Jakesplanet » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi All,

I have recently re-voked my love of Barrios' music, and would be interested to know which books/resourses any of you have found to be the most reliable. I have a couple of books which I regard to be very good, but I always like to make comparisons, particularly when it comes to Barrios (be it recordings or published works).

Jake

pellkartoffel

Re: Barrios

Postby pellkartoffel » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:46 pm

I've ordered part 1 of a 4-part "complete guitar works" edition today, based on it being recommend in the Trinity guitar syllabus. Is that the one you have? It seems popular-ish.

kefka

Postby kefka » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:15 am

Mel Bay has a two volume complete works edition edited by Rico Stover, Barrios' biographer, with critical commentary.

jimmyz1972

Postby jimmyz1972 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:52 am

kefka wrote:Mel Bay has a two volume complete works edition edited by Rico Stover, Barrios' biographer, with critical commentary.

I have those books and they are great,well notated and written out, even has info on him and his life.
Its not what, it's how, BUT..1988 Abe, Spruce/Indian-savarez corum-alliance hard tension, 1966 silvertone, cedar top, 2011 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 628mm, cedar top(thnk u Renlab)

Jakesplanet

Postby Jakesplanet » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Yes, I have those two volumes, I find them to be very informative. pellkartoffel, the 4 parter I have part 3 of. It is ok. Not sure if I would get any more yet though. I have also found the Raymond Burley arrangements to be some of my favorites. Published by Schott. I have seen another publised by schott, yellow front cover, which appears to pop up quite regularly. Has anyone tried that out?

zhengyi5888054

Postby zhengyi5888054 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:17 am

I am interested too...Mark this post and wait for something about him.
Thanks for sharing

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:10 am

Jakesplanet wrote:Hi All,

I have recently re-voked my love of Barrios' music, ...

Revoked or renewed? :lol:

nomorepick

Postby nomorepick » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Another vote here for the Mel Bay 2 volume books. Second volume you get CD of Barrios playing. I can't imagine any other books with Barrios compositions being any better than this.

Macleod410

Postby Macleod410 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:44 pm

The problem/challenge with Barrios is that he played his own pieces differently each concert , subtle changes etc and he was infamous for his ability to improvise . His music was notated by his pupils and edited by numerous publishers so I think there is no problem with cherry picking bits from different edition and some by ear of your favourite recordings.

jimmyz1972

Postby jimmyz1972 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:35 am

i just acquired all his gramophone recordings and they are great!! In the liner notes it says that he used metal strings instead of nylon/gut, this is crazy. it is said that steel strings were more readily available at the time and he just stuck with it. also, he tuned a half step down, prob to compensate for the metal, it is said that his guitars were all bowed up, bridges coming off, that sorts, wonder why. It is also speculated that his string choice was cause for Segovia to dislike him, IDK. Stover seems to be the authoritative on him.
Its not what, it's how, BUT..1988 Abe, Spruce/Indian-savarez corum-alliance hard tension, 1966 silvertone, cedar top, 2011 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 628mm, cedar top(thnk u Renlab)

Richard Jernigan

Postby Richard Jernigan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:31 pm

Much of Barrios's music was notated by his students. Some of the current publications are transcribed from recordings. But we have many pieces in Barrios's own hand, some written out fairly quickly for students, others masterpieces of musical calligraphy.

As for steel strings, I have read that he only used a steel first string. Nowadays "silk 'n steel" sets are available with steel trebles and metal wound nylon basses, at no higher tension than nylon--or than gut was in Barrios's day. I don't know what gauge steel string(s) Barrios used.

One of Barrios's guitars was sold last year at an auction supervised by the luthier Richard Brune. I'll rummage around and see whether I can find the announcement, and what it has to say about the guitar's condition and any repairs. I note that in the Journal of the Guild of American Luthiers no. 52 there is an article by Brune about his restoration of a 1927 Simplicio that belonged to Barrios, but I don't have that issue of the Journal.

RNJ

jimmyz1972

Postby jimmyz1972 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:53 pm

Richard Jernigan wrote:Much of Barrios's music was notated by his students. Some of the current publications are transcribed from recordings. But we have many pieces in Barrios's own hand, some written out fairly quickly for students, others masterpieces of musical calligraphy.

As for steel strings, I have read that he only used a steel first string. Nowadays "silk 'n steel" sets are available with steel trebles and metal wound nylon basses, at no higher tension than nylon--or than gut was in Barrios's day. I don't know what gauge steel string(s) Barrios used.

One of Barrios's guitars was sold last year at an auction supervised by the luthier Richard Brune. I'll rummage around and see whether I can find the announcement, and what it has to say about the guitar's condition and any repairs. I note that in the Journal of the Guild of American Luthiers no. 52 there is an article by Brune about his restoration of a 1927 Simplicio that belonged to Barrios, but I don't have that issue of the Journal.

RNJ

yes, please let me know, he fascinates me, all the info i stated above was from Stover, and he supposedly went "In search of" his life story. that Renaldo Bellucci guy from Paraguay who manufacturers questionable guitars supposedly has one of Barrios guitar that he restored as well.

jimmyz1972

Postby jimmyz1972 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:22 pm

If you want more insight on Barrios you must read "six silver moonbeams" by Richard Stover, i just finished and it was great, learned so much more about him, and it has pics and transcriptions, concert bills, a must read for the Barrios fan

Kirkland Gavin
Student of the online lessons

Postby Kirkland Gavin » Sat May 02, 2015 7:10 pm

good info I have The Guitar Works of Agustin Barrios Mangore, Volumes, 1,2,3, and 4, edited by Richard D. Stover.
The 4th vol. was hard to find as it needed to be printed.

I have found some good sheet music for, The Cathedral that was re fingered, along with positions it made it somewhat easier for me to slowly go through the music.
One of my favorite songs is Una Limosna por el amor de dios, ( an alm for god), gran tremolo just an amazing work.

Kirk

Return to “Reference Library”