present (music terminology and definitions)

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
nader

present (music terminology and definitions)

Post by nader » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:50 am

Here is terminolgy. I hope you'll like it
http://library.thinkquest.org/2791/MDOPNSCR.htm

Mod note: The above link is no longer valid, as the site has closed, but it may be found archived here: http://web.archive.org/web/200705150957 ... OPNSCR.htm
Last edited by GeoffB on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BalO

Post by BalO » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:19 pm

Very good post.. Alot of users will have use of this!
Thanx for taking your time to do this!

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:56 pm

This is a great reference! Thank you.

I have several on-going multi-lingual lists that I have been adding to when I find new words... a list of (mostly) guitar parts... and a list of instrument related wood species (with botanical names). It might be fun to start a "rosetta stone" page and get people from the other forums to fill in the blanks in their respective languages... Would anyone like to volunteer to help (maybe set it up as an interactive form or table?

azalais

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:32 pm

excelent! azailas, maybe you should sticky this post for reference

Marie-Claire

Post by Marie-Claire » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:22 pm

Hi Azalais

I have the same problem when translating French for the Dutch forum ... Do you have any Dutch "list" available? I would gladly use it for the NL-forum. and complete it whenever possible. One of my problems is that the Belgian "NL" part is using french terminology like do - re - mi.... and members from the Netherlands the A - B - C system. A kind of multilingual guitaristic dictionnary is more than welcome.

Marie-Claire

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:16 pm

Before we start with this thing, I think that we need to give a lot of thought to how people will want to use it (as a searchable data base?) How it gets edited and updated... otherwise it could turn into a nightmare!

Maybe we should also try to find/designate one or two people from each forum who are bi-lingual and spread sheet literate to handle the editing? or the tweaking of a machine translation to save time and typing?

It doesn't have to be too complicated... Once we make a master word list, with a column for each language, we could just post it as a big table that people could search with their browser.

bwest123

Post by bwest123 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:30 pm

Thanks azailas. This is wonderful for a nub like me. I agree with Patrizio,
some way to sticky this would be valuable.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:33 pm

Hmmm... I'll have to go back into that scary admin utility and see if I can remember how to make it sticky without messing anything else up :oops:

Marie-Claire

Post by Marie-Claire » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:37 pm

Hello Azalais,
I see this database more as an aid for translations between the different forums. Finding the right terms for e.g. a translation from French or German or Spanish to English or Dutch isn't easy. I translated the "lessons" from French into Dutch, but I needed a lot of time to find the correct musical terminology, and had to ask help from other Dutch forum members. A database can help a lot.
If this kind of translation rehappens, I will have to research all terms from the beginning.
I was too stupid to make any written notations....
I'm volunteering for the NL-site.
:cafe:
Marie-Claire

Simo

Post by Simo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:16 pm

Thank you for this post, nader!
:wink:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:54 am

Azailas, I would love to help out, I dont speak much of any other language (bit of french and spanish), but I was thinking, that one person could be in charge of this thread, and everybody could add terminology that is not in the list, who ever is in charge, can take that word from the reply post, and put it into the original post so people dont have to go searching the pages.

zambragb

Post by zambragb » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:18 am

Hello azalais,

I know that in other forums it´s possible to get to a Wiki-Site. This is a software which makes it possible for everybody to change the text in a site.

Perhaps this could be an idea for this guitar forum. Many people speak a combination of two or three languages, and sometimes people are able to put only one right brick into a wall to build up.

Perhaps you can ask Monsieur Delcamp about it?

Michael

anathem

Post by anathem » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:14 am

good idea
and a great post
people are finally getting active on the english forums :D

AlvaroMCA

Post by AlvaroMCA » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:35 pm

WOW

I was lookin for terminology :)

Thank You

fatman