Notation Question

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Carl

Notation Question

Postby Carl » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:39 pm

I have a CG score with a symbol (looks like a lower case script "i" above a single note) which I am having trouble defining.
Could not find an example during my search of the web.

Does anyone know what this symbol is and what it means?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Notation Question

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:44 pm

You might need to post a scan of this. One assumes its not 'i' for index finger...
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Carl

Postby Carl » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:You might need to post a scan of this. One assumes its not 'i' for index finger...

Here is a scan of the section. It is not the index finger notation as that is in the score as a totally different font.
The note in question is the 16th note E.

scan0002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:20 pm

Weird! Nearest thing to sensible might be a deformed 'i' finger character, which makes sense if the note is on string 3. If its an old edition (what's the piece, publisher and date?) it was engraved by hand using variable physical processes that occasionally resulted in odd artifacts like that.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Postby Scot Tremblay » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:41 pm

I can think or a couple possible explanations but we need to know what the piece is, publisher, date as Stephen mentions.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Carl

Postby Carl » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:13 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:Weird! Nearest thing to sensible might be a deformed 'i' finger character, which makes sense if the note is on string 3. If its an old edition (what's the piece, publisher and date?) it was engraved by hand using variable physical processes that occasionally resulted in odd artifacts like that.

I am starting to think you have nailed it here. The "i" does look hand drawn, different from the index finger indicators in other parts of the score, like it was added after the main score was set. It is the E on the 3rd string, 9th fret also. So I am going with the index finger notation idea despite my original thoughts. I thought it was some notation I was not familiar with and went running in that direction.

Thanks very much for the help.
The score section is from "Silent Night", publisher is Mel Bay, "Christmas Songs for Classical Guitar", 1981.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Postby Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:46 am

I agree that it's a hand drawn direction. It looks to me a lot like:
^

which indicates staccato. It's really not necessary, because that 16th note followed by a 16th note rest already tells you that's one heck of a short note. :wink:

What do you think?

Alan

ps. Thanks for scanning it for us, Carl.

Carl

Postby Carl » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:15 am

Looks like with both of the solutions given it is not a big deal either way. I appreciate the help given here.
Now I will work on actually playing the piece to get ready for Dec.

Thanks again for the responses.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:43 pm

I have the answer, I have the answer!!!

Today's lesson with one of my more mature students came to a sudden stop when I noticed he'd put exactly that weird mark on one of his pieces. He said its derived from mathematics (apparently he used to be a mathematician, which I don't think I knew!) and he said maths types often use that form of 'i', which is in fact, if memory serves, related to a symbol for 'j', or somesuch. So yes, its doesn't matter, its obvious what to do there, ... but here seems to be something concrete about that mark, potentially at least.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Carl

Postby Carl » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:I have the answer, I have the answer!!!

Today's lesson with one of my more mature students came to a sudden stop when I noticed he'd put exactly that weird mark on one of his pieces. He said its derived from mathematics (apparently he used to be a mathematician, which I don't think I knew!) and he said maths types often use that form of 'i', which is in fact, if memory serves, related to a symbol for 'j', or somesuch. So yes, its doesn't matter, its obvious what to do there, ... but here seems to be something concrete about that mark, potentially at least.

I find it amazing that my question popped up just now in your experience and even more so while in the presence of someone who could give a ready answer!
In math i and j are used to represent the square root of -1. I just never would have made that connection though in the context of CG.

Thanks for the solution and it makes sense. Just goes to show you never know where CG will take you :o - which gives me an idea for another thread.

JohnPierce

Postby JohnPierce » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:26 am

Mostly, I print (block letters) handwritten stuff - many, many years as a programmer, much of it before we had monitors and printers that made on-screen programming practical. But I think I may go back to using cursive. It should be amusing.

oski79

Postby oski79 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:55 am

I use cursive for my p-i-m-a notations for one reason-- to differentiate the "i" from a "1".
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Return to “Reference Library”