Biber- the " -hidden" - passacaglia

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
gilles T

Biber- the " -hidden" - passacaglia

Post by gilles T » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:18 pm

Hello everyone,

If you're looking for a profound, long and spiritual underrated baroque piece to play, you should give a try at Henrich Ignaz von Biber's "Passacaglia" masterfully transcribed for guitar by Dieter Kreidler (Schott GA 471).

It's not the famous "guardian angel" for solo violin, which ends the cycle of the "Mystery sonatas" (and paved the way for the otherwordly Bach's Chaconne), but a transcription of the sonata VI for violin with basso continuo. Originally transcribed for solo lute by an anononymous monk in the Kremsmunster Manuscript, it lends itself very well on the guitar, and it's not as difficult as the "guardian angel".

Only lute versions are to be found on YT. I'm eagerly waiting for the first guitar rendition...

Cheers,

GT
Last edited by gilles T on Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pogmoor

Re: Biber- the " -hidden" - passacaglia

Post by pogmoor » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:27 pm

I haven't seen the Kreidler arrangement of this piece, but I did make an arrangement myself about 5 years ago from a lute transcription. As you say, it's a beautiful piece. My arrangement is quite difficult to finger in places, but entirely possible - so I have posted it here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=90466.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

joegun

Post by joegun » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:46 pm

This is a great piece of music you transcribed. I have never heard it before. It is so dark and brooding it's right up my ally musically. Nice job thanks pogmore....

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:31 pm

Dear Pogmmor,

Wow, great job ! Your version is very close to Kreidler's one. The fingering is not that hard to figure out — sometimes the C in the bass needs to be fretted on the 6th string, 10th fret and there's only one or two stretches that may appear a little tricky but, as you said, nothing impossible. :bravo:

Looking froward to hear futrher from you,

regards,

GT

Tonyyyyy

Post by Tonyyyyy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:44 pm

gilles T wrote:If you're looking for a profound, long and spiritual underrated baroque piece to play, you should give a try at Henrich Ignaz von Biber's "Passacaglia" masterfully transcribed for guitar by Dieter Kreidler ....
Only lute versions are to be found on YT. I'm eagerly waiting for the first guitar rendition...
Thanks I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2_uP_K_Zpo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsRNyidaQKM

Lovely music

Return to “Reference Library”