Very good metronome app

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Madeleine Pashkofsky

Very good metronome app

Postby Madeleine Pashkofsky » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:20 pm

Last night while practicing my Delcamp lessons I discovered I had forgotten my stand alone metronome. So I went to the App Store on my iPhone and found one that I really like. It's called "Metro Timer". It's free though the paid version adds some additional functionality. I am just using the free version but I like that you can set different types of clicks, include a flash or not on the downbeat, and you can subdivide the beats. I think my practice went better because I was able to set a 2/4 beat with eighth notes.

Mark Featherstone

Re: Very good metronome app

Postby Mark Featherstone » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:15 am

I've been using it too. But from what you say, I clearly don't make full use of it. What do you mean by "you can subdivide the beats".
Thanks,
Mark
Francisco Navarro Concert Classical, cedar top, 630 mm scale, 50 mm nut

"The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."
Bruce Cockburn

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Postby Madeleine Pashkofsky » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:58 am

Baoyu wrote:I've been using it too. But from what you say, I clearly don't make full use of it. What do you mean by "you can subdivide the beats".
Thanks,
Mark

By that I mean setting an overall time signature, like 2/4, but then setting the clicks to play 8th notes. I find this very helpful with learning timing of tricky passages.

wilhelmreich

Postby wilhelmreich » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:43 am

Looks like it's a good app. Does someone know an Android app, that can subdivide the beats (very useful, especially for slow pieces), but also switch between 6/8 and 3/4 - I still don't know how to practice Lauro fast pieces with metronome. The only solution is to set clicks on the eigths, but if the speed is too fast, it's not practicable. There must be an app, where you can set "play one bar with one click per two eights and play the next bar with one click per three eights".

Mark Featherstone

Postby Mark Featherstone » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:00 am

Madeleine Pashkofsky wrote:
Baoyu wrote:I've been using it too. But from what you say, I clearly don't make full use of it. What do you mean by "you can subdivide the beats".
Thanks,
Mark

By that I mean setting an overall time signature, like 2/4, but then setting the clicks to play 8th notes. I find this very helpful with learning timing of tricky passages.

Ah, I see how it works now. I didn't think I could do that in the free version. Thanks!
Francisco Navarro Concert Classical, cedar top, 630 mm scale, 50 mm nut

"The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."
Bruce Cockburn

JeffR

Postby JeffR » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:44 pm

Check out Time Guru. It costs a couple of dollars but it does a lot. For Android or Apple.

alvynmcq

Postby alvynmcq » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:24 pm

I have been using Clockwork on my iPhone and have found it to be excellent. The same company also produces cleartune which is an excellent tuning app.

Cary W

Postby Cary W » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:48 am

wilhelmreich wrote:Looks like it's a good app. Does someone know an Android app, .

Try Metronome Beats...from Google play store...works for me.:-)
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

BrunoGS

Postby BrunoGS » Sat May 09, 2015 5:04 am

Mobile Metronome [android] is pretty good.

skipneumann

Postby skipneumann » Thu May 19, 2016 4:42 am

"Pro Metronome" by Xiao Yixiang iphone great tuner also available

wortspur

Postby wortspur » Thu May 19, 2016 10:30 am

I also use "Pro Metronome".
Especially like the training mode where you can select a start tempo, an end tempo, the duration (bars) of each bpm and increase in speed.
For example: Beat 3/4, time signature 16th notes, start tempo: 42 bpm, increase tempo by 2 bpm every 8 bars until the end tempo of 100 bpm is reached.

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Thu May 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi Madeleine,
I downloaded the paid version and at first glimpse find it very good. Subdivided beats will be very helpful for me. Thanks for the tip.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Matt Molloy

Postby Matt Molloy » Thu May 19, 2016 2:16 pm

Another vote for Metronome Beats Pro here. Wish this had been around years ago (entirely too many metronomes destroyed in my musical progress).
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morcambe

Proud member of the LGCI.

Guitars: James Lister 2009 SP/MP, Ramirez AE SP/IR.

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Mon May 23, 2016 4:52 pm

I've been using Metronomerous for Android. Its free and has a lot of configuration. You can subdivide, put pauses, delays, speed and sound variation etc. You can practically build up a drumming session with it. I like the ability it has to configure so it plays a measure then it keeps some measures without playing (you configure how much). So you listen to the metronome eventually, to check if you are keeping time.

Return to “Reference Library”