Harmony on Guitar

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
rapidExpansion

Harmony on Guitar

Postby rapidExpansion » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:41 pm

Hello everyone!

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a books that deals with practical harmony on guitar?
My Piano skills are way below my guitar experience, but i always find it easier to analyse pieces as i play them on a piano ( well obviously because the intervals are too easy to recognize). I could certainly use some advice on how to connect my theoretical knowledge to my guitar playing.

Thanks.

RobMacKillop

Re: Harmony on Guitar

Postby RobMacKillop » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:56 pm

I remember thinking John Duarte's book on the subject was quite useful, and I'm amazed to see it is still in print:

http://www.*** Commercial link removed ***/Melody-Harmony- ... guitarists

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:57 pm

Ah, commercial link removed. It is called Melody & Harmony for Guitarists, by John Duarte. You can search for it.

2handband

Postby 2handband » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:59 pm

If your understanding of harmony is already thorough you shouldn't need to spend $$$ on a book. Harmony is harmony regardless of the instrument. What exactly is tripping you up?

sxedio

Postby sxedio » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:44 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:I remember thinking John Duarte's book on the subject was quite useful, and I'm amazed to see it is still in print:

http://www.*** Commercial link removed ***/Melody-Harmony-Guitarists-John-Duarte/dp/0786676884/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439668200&sr=8-1&keywords=Harmony+for+guitarists

Yes, it's one of those that was popular enough to be picked up by a big american non classical focused publisher.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Polifemo de Oro

Postby Polifemo de Oro » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:55 pm

Have a look at the series, by Andrew York, entitled: Jazz Guitar for Classical Cats (Chords/Melody; Harmony; Improvisation). This is an excellent series.

edcat7

Postby edcat7 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:23 am

Polifemo de Oro wrote:Have a look at the series, by Andrew York, entitled: Jazz Guitar for Classical Cats (Chords/Melody; Harmony; Improvisation). This is an excellent series.

Good to see you back Poli. Can you tell us more about this book? At what level is it aimed at? My teacher knows I wish to branch out into Bossa Nova and since Bossa nova is a type of jazz I thought we might find this useful?
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Postby Larry McDonald » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:12 am

I wrote a book called Introduction to Harmony for Guitar with TAB. It covers scales, intervals and chords. It's for the studio guitarist who needs an intro to this stuff. It's published by the largest guitar publisher in the world (no commercial links, right?) gut you can google it. You can also see it on my website.

Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar Instructor
Royal Conservatory Advanced Theory Instructor

Polifemo de Oro

Postby Polifemo de Oro » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:02 am

edcat7 wrote:
Polifemo de Oro wrote:Have a look at the series, by Andrew York, entitled: Jazz Guitar for Classical Cats (Chords/Melody; Harmony; Improvisation). This is an excellent series.

Good to see you back Poli. Can you tell us more about this book? At what level is it aimed at? My teacher knows I wish to branch out into Bossa Nova and since Bossa nova is a type of jazz I thought we might find this useful?

York's three books presuppose a basic understanding of music theory; but beyond that they seek to expand the average classical guitarist's harmonic vocabulary, if you will, to include the use of chords more commonly associated with the Jazz idiom (e.g. 6ths, 9ths, 11ths, 13ths). He does not really speak to Bossa Nova specifically, though. Nevertheless, they are a useful resource.

Ray

Postby Ray » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:01 am

edcat7 wrote: My teacher knows I wish to branch out into Bossa Nova and since Bossa nova is a type of jazz I thought we might find this useful?

A good book for you would be "The Brazilian Guitar Book - Samba, Bossa Nova and other Brazilian Styles" by Nelson Faria published by Sher Music - comes with A CD. It's not just bossa-nova but other syncopated styles as well but it is a book and the CD has excellent playing examples so that's very helpful.

If you really want to learn bossa nova the best way to do it by watching and listening to the greats play it - I would start with the records of Antonio Carlos Jobim, a good one is Wave. Then all the classic records with saxophonist Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto who plays an accompaniment style of sophisticated chords in a light clave type rhythm(s) - very hard to master! :D Joao Gilberto also has a bunch of his own records that are considered the bible of bossa-nova guitar playing.

Other bossa nova guitarists include Luiz Bonfa, Charlie Byrd and Laurindo Almeida. I would start with Joao Gilberto, he's the innovator and father of the style along with composers Jobim and Bonfa. You need to become familiar with the chords and voicings they use, you can buy a fake book with lead sheets of famous bossa tunes and learn the chord progressions from there with your teacher's help.

Regards, Ray

rapidExpansion

Postby rapidExpansion » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I will look into the books, i thin John Duarte's book will be more interesting. From that i've learned in the reviewers, York's book seems to be too simple.

edcat7

Postby edcat7 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:51 pm

Ray wrote:
edcat7 wrote: My teacher knows I wish to branch out into Bossa Nova and since Bossa nova is a type of jazz I thought we might find this useful?

A good book for you would be "The Brazilian Guitar Book - Samba, Bossa Nova and other Brazilian Styles" by Nelson Faria published by Sher Music - comes with A CD. It's not just bossa-nova but other syncopated styles as well but it is a book and the CD has excellent playing examples so that's very helpful.

If you really want to learn bossa nova the best way to do it by watching and listening to the greats play it - I would start with the records of Antonio Carlos Jobim, a good one is Wave. Then all the classic records with saxophonist Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto who plays an accompaniment style of sophisticated chords in a light clave type rhythm(s) - very hard to master! :D Joao Gilberto also has a bunch of his own records that are considered the bible of bossa-nova guitar playing.

Other bossa nova guitarists include Luiz Bonfa, Charlie Byrd and Laurindo Almeida. I would start with Joao Gilberto, he's the innovator and father of the style along with composers Jobim and Bonfa. You need to become familiar with the chords and voicings they use, you can buy a fake book with lead sheets of famous bossa tunes and learn the chord progressions from there with your teacher's help.

Regards, Ray

Thanks Ray, it looks like just what I need. And Thanks Poli, I will investigate.

Ed
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

jake39

Postby jake39 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:44 am

Jeffrey McFadden's Fretboard Harmony is worth looking into as well.

rapidExpansion

Postby rapidExpansion » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:16 pm

jake39 wrote:Jeffrey McFadden's Fretboard Harmony is worth looking into as well.

Thanks. I found out that his doctoral thesis is the same object and it is downloadable for free from the website of university of toronto. it is really interesting for everyone who might be interested in this topic.

Mark Featherstone

Postby Mark Featherstone » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:16 am

rapidExpansion wrote:Hello everyone!

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a books that deals with practical harmony on guitar?
My Piano skills are way below my guitar experience, but i always find it easier to analyse pieces as i play them on a piano ( well obviously because the intervals are too easy to recognize). I could certainly use some advice on how to connect my theoretical knowledge to my guitar playing.

Thanks.

A book recommended to me on this forum is one in the Hal Leonard Guitar Method Series: Music Theory by Tom Kolb. It's been very useful to me, but I am almost a total beginner in music theory and harmony. It may be too basic for you.
Mark
Francisco Navarro Concert Classical, cedar top, 630 mm scale, 50 mm nut

"The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."
Bruce Cockburn

Return to “Reference Library”