Piazzolla, Astor - Verano Porteno

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Piazzolla, Astor - Verano Porteno

Post by GeoffB » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:04 am

TomasMolina wrote: Ah, but if I do my own transcription can I upload it?
No, I'm afraid not. Piazzolla's work is under copyright, and you can't publish transcriptions of copyrighted works without permission from the appropriate copyright holder. Chanterelle have given us permission to upload recordings of pieces from their editions only. That doesn't mean that any composer who happens to appear in their publications is now available to record.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:39 am

Excellent, Lucy! I like your recording very much. Now after listening I've got that strange desire to free all animals from the zoo of Vienna :lol:

Greets, Wolfgang

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Thanks to you all for your kind comments - you make me feel my hard work is worthwhile. :D
sxedio wrote:I like this piece a lot and wish I could play it, amazing arrangement by Baltazar Benitez, well done. I'm always intrigued by the subtle dissonances. Is g natural in melody and g sharp in harmony common in tango or is it Piazzola checking how much modernism he can get away with?
I've really no idea - but it sounds good anyway!
wolfgang wrote:Excellent, Lucy! I like your recording very much. Now after listening I've got that strange desire to free all animals from the zoo of Vienna :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

rsfx

Post by rsfx » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:02 pm

This is very well played indeed!

I love Piazolla; my favourite is Milonga del Angel, but Verano Porteno is wonderful too. Quite tricky to play when it goes to Bflat too - my poor left hand after all those bridges.

Aryeh

Post by Aryeh » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:59 pm

Hi lucy,

Very rhythmically energetic and expert performance, congrats! :D You play the second section beautifully, very contemplative and free as it should be.

My only constructive criticism since you asked for it (and this is purely my opinion, feel free to discount it if you wish) is in mm.'s 20 and 22 - the last 8th notes of those measures where you're playing tritone intervals on strings 1 and 2 on the upper frets, you're holding onto them a bit too long (maybe an 8th note or more) before going on to the next measure(s) and it disrupts the rhythmic flow which has been really good till now. These two measures mirror the phrases in mm.'s 14 and 16 except that measures 20 and 22 start with 8th rests so you have to make sure not to rest too long on those beats.

Thanks very much sharing,
:merci:
:bravo:

Aryeh

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Thanks for listening rsfx and Aryeh and for your very kind comments. :D
Aryeh wrote: My only constructive criticism since you asked for it (and this is purely my opinion, feel free to discount it if you wish) is in mm.'s 20 and 22 - the last 8th notes of those measures where you're playing tritone intervals on strings 1 and 2 on the upper frets, you're holding onto them a bit too long (maybe an 8th note or more) before going on to the next measure(s) and it disrupts the rhythmic flow which has been really good till now. These two measures mirror the phrases in mm.'s 14 and 16 except that measures 20 and 22 start with 8th rests so you have to make sure not to rest too long on those beats.
Many thanks for raising this Aryeh. I think I was so enjoying sliding my fingers down the neck, I completely missed the fact that these phrases mirror those in 14 and 16. I will take on board what you said and not hold on to them too long - but still try and make a feature of them. Also, thanks for pointing out that those intervals are tritones - no wonder they sound so dramatic!
rsfx wrote: I love Piazolla; my favourite is Milonga del Angel

This is on my list to learn too - it's a great piece!

antonio3010

Post by antonio3010 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Beautiful and very very well played! I enjoyed it a lot! :bravo:

David McHarg

Post by David McHarg » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:31 am

Wonderful, thanks for sharing. I will need to add this to the list of pieces to play! Darn the list is getting long :-)

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks for listening antonio3010 and dmcharg.
dmcharg wrote: I will need to add this to the list of pieces to play! Darn the list is getting long :-)
I've got a long list too. Maybe I'll live to 200? :lol:

attila57

Post by attila57 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:43 am

Thanks, Lucy for this very nice performance of Verano Porteno, one of my loved Piazzolla pieces. I think this piece actually sounds much better on the guitar that in the original setup. It's interesting to note, that some women can pay these pieces extraordinary sensitively. The first time l heard the Benitez arrangements from Ana Vidovic some years ago. She played the four Chanterelle edited pieces all the way through, and I liked that tremendously. The Benitez arrangements are nice, aren't they? What do you think about the other, like the Assad arrangements? Some people prefer those, but I rather put my trust into Piazzolla's own guitarist than into anyone else.
I'd love to hear more Piazzolla from you. There are some nice, although rather obscure transcriptions, too. I've been listening to Adios Nonino and Libertango from Tomatito for some time and I can never get bored of them. I think, those recordings (Tomatito with Michel Camilo, piano: Spain Again CD) are an absolute must for everyone trying to understand the 'Nuevo Tango'.
Congratulations!
Attila :bravo: :bye:
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks so much for your kind comments attila57. :)
attila57 wrote: The Benitez arrangements are nice, aren't they? What do you think about the other, like the Assad arrangements? Some people prefer those, but I rather put my trust into Piazzolla's own guitarist than into anyone else.
I've heard a couple of the Assad arrangements, but I don't care for them. They seem to be needlessly complicated. I agree that the arrangements by the band's own guitarist are likely to be more authentic.
attila57 wrote: There are some nice, although rather obscure transcriptions, too. I've been listening to Adios Nonino and Libertango from Tomatito for some time and I can never get bored of them. I think, those recordings (Tomatito with Michel Camilo, piano: Spain Again CD) are an absolute must for everyone trying to understand the 'Nuevo Tango'.
Thanks for the CD suggestion. I will definitely look that up!

bobmoore

Post by bobmoore » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:02 pm

GeoffB wrote:Because we have been given specific permission by Chanterelle to upload recordings of pieces from their editions, for which they control the copyright. We have not been given permission by other publishers, so would be breaking copyright law if we uploaded recordings of Piazzolla works taken from their publications without permission. There is a list here of permissions received so far.

Geoff
I just tried to access the page of compositions by Nico Rojas from your link, and it doesn't work. The link itself says "www.delcamp.me".

Here's the sentence that I refer to.
"The heirs of Nico Rojas authorize forum members to publish recordings of the compositions available for download from this page on the forum."

Thanks,
Bob

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:30 pm

Hi Bob,

The link does seem to be out of date. I notice the one on the French forum is the same, so I'll investigate further tomorrow. In the meantime, I think this is probably the intended link.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

KBell

Post by KBell » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:56 am

Great playing Lucy!

Inspired to practise

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:50 pm

KBell wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:56 am
Great playing Lucy!

Inspired to practise
Thank you KBell. :)

I'm replaced a different version of this piece, because the original file was corrupted. It's a recording of a live performance in an art gallery.

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”