Nuttall, Peter - Berceuse

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
lagartija

Re: Nuttall, Peter - Berceuse

Post by lagartija » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:52 pm

Really lovely! :casque: You have such a nice tone. :D Yes, it was just right for a lullaby-- not too fast.
This is the first time I've heard his work.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

willbo2000

Post by willbo2000 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:19 am

Dear Dmcharg
I'd like to agree strongly with your response to Kay:
Thank you. Kay thanks for your kind comments. Its good to hear you like the sound/tone i am getting. I remember many years ago taking lessons with Ben verdery in New York and he took me right back to basic right hand technique and how to get a nice rich sound out of the guitar, since then i have moved to a much better guitar and the combination of the two things seems to have helped me a lot. A few years ago i almost stopped playing because i was getting frustrated with trying to play pieces that were far too complex and i have sort of rediscovered the guitar by playing simpler pieces. Anyway glad you like my recording, hopefully i can record some more pieces from Peters collection.
This is very much my own experience / especially the part about frustration trying to play very complex pieces and moving onto simpler pieces. The thing is, simpler pieces can be so rewarding for many, the player and the listener and I think this is the area guitar repertoire is especially rich in...

Many thanks for all your recordings, they are a real inspiration!

:merci:

Frets100

Post by Frets100 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Nicely played. You did it very well.

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:51 am

Beutiful piece!
dmcharg wrote:I remember many years ago taking lessons with Ben verdery in New York and he took me right back to basic right hand technique and how to get a nice rich sound out of the guitar...
Please feel free to share some of that either through words or perhaps a video, your tone is wonderful!

petr

Post by petr » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Beautiful piece and beautifuly played.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:36 pm

Mark Bacon wrote:Beutiful piece!
dmcharg wrote:I remember many years ago taking lessons with Ben verdery in New York and he took me right back to basic right hand technique and how to get a nice rich sound out of the guitar...
Please feel free to share some of that either through words or perhaps a video, your tone is wonderful!
I'd be all ears for that! :)
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"Never practise softly. " - Ernest Shand, op. 100

David McHarg

Post by David McHarg » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Thank you. I am just an amateur player so i am by no means an expert but my thoughts on producing a nice rich tone or good right hand technique would be as follows -

1. Find a good teacher. No substitute for this.
2. Buy a small portable recorder and record yourself playing. You will learn so much from listening to your own playing. Try just playing a scale and recording it. Can you play it with even tone and tempo, its harder than you think!!
3. You need to pay special attention to the shape of your right hand, make a fist and relax your hand a little and this is a good natural shape for your hand.
4. Look carefully at where your nails meet the strings and how it moves across the nail surface as you pluck each string and experiment with different nail shapes until you find what works for you. Get yourself some nail papers and make sure the parts of your nails that strike the strings are very smooth and polished.
5. Try playing very simple pieces and just focus on producing a nice clean sound. As a guitarists i don't think we spend anywhere near enough time just playing simple pieces and really focusing on bringing out the melody with a nice clean tone. After many years of playing i've reached the conclusion if i can't play a simple piece and really make it sound musical then i don't stand much chance with a Bach Fugue etc.

David.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks David! I'll put those 5 steps into practice and...
dmcharg wrote:After many years of playing i've reached the conclusion if i can't play a simple piece and really make it sound musical then i don't stand much chance with a Bach Fugue etc.
Agreed...I've always been a believer in you have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run with classical guitar. If I can't play something and make it sound beautiful...I usually don't play it for people. Unless it's rough drafts of works in progress that I post here lol.
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"Never practise softly. " - Ernest Shand, op. 100

mpferreira

Post by mpferreira » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Very good playing, David. Thanks.

savobalac

Post by savobalac » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:08 am

Thanks David, nice.
Nuttall's Twelve Inventions is a good book - my favourite piece is Mexicana.
2016 Esteve Manuel Adalid 50th Anniversary cedar
2015 Sigma CR6 cedar

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:42 am

Very nice! Where can I get the book?
Hauser III 2014!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:51 am

Jack Douglas wrote:Very nice! Where can I get the book?
+1

A beautiful little piece from a composer I had never heard of.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:40 am

savobalac wrote:...Nuttall's Twelve Inventions is a good book...
Yes, Peter Nutall has a real talent for writing musically engaging pieces that sit well on the guitar.
Jack Douglas wrote:Very nice! Where can I get the book?
The book is widely available from music dealers in the UK so, if you can't find it in the US, you could try ordering from over here. I know Guitarnotes(UK) (Spanishguitar dot com) ships internationally and I'm sure some of our other dealers do too. Alternatively you could order direct from Peter himself - Google and you'll find his website.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:31 pm

Thanks very much!
Hauser III 2014!

savobalac

Post by savobalac » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:30 am

2016 Esteve Manuel Adalid 50th Anniversary cedar
2015 Sigma CR6 cedar

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”