Sholdice, Garrett - Three Interludes-Tanka, Organum, Ketawang

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Philip.Lawson

Sholdice, Garrett - Three Interludes-Tanka, Organum, Ketawang

Post by Philip.Lawson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I've just finished recording demos of Garrett Sholdice's Three Interludes for classical guitar. I was going to write something about them but Garrett writes far more eloquently than I ever could!

"The classical guitar is quite charged for me. It’s my father’s instrument, and, for a brief time, it was mine too, but I never mastered it, or even came close. When it’s well-played it always seems like a particular kind of conjuring to me. Like a tight-rope act.

It’s a composer’s cliché that the classical guitar is amongst the hardest instruments to write well for. But clichés are clichés because they’re true. Like the orchestra (also an instrument), you want to forget it’s there and just write your music. But you can’t. The guitar is it’s music and vice versa.

In writing these interludes, I’ve tried to stay as close as possible to my own tactile experience of the instrument. To what Feldman called the ‘reality’ of the sound. And to my affection for the clear-voiced beauty of its timbre.

The suite of miniatures is a form I’ve liked for a while now. I always think of those Impressionist paintings of the same subject at different times of the day, in different light. Or three photographs of the same still life.

In this music for guitar, the subject is the material of the first miniature — Tanka. A ‘tanka’ is a Japanese poetic form that the pianist Aki Takahashi introduced me to. It’s quite strictly formulated, like ‘haiku’. And actually I composed a piece for Aki, which I called ‘tanka’, and in which I mapped the structural rules of the form quite directly. This ‘tanka’ for Philip is freer, though. Like a memory of the original form, not the form exactly.

With the next two miniatures in the set – Organum and Ketawang – this process continues; something more is forgotten, and things previously heard as small details become more significant."

These recordings have been a long time coming, I really hope you enjoy them :)

Thanks,
Philip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Philip.Lawson on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Belcher

Re: Sholdice, Garrett -

Post by David Belcher » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks for these, Philip, I really enjoyed them—very introspective. And I think this is a perfect description for the pieces, at least as I experienced them: ". . . something more is forgotten, and things previously heard as small details become more significant." Really great sound, too.

Peace,

dave b
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

Philip.Lawson

Re: Sholdice, Garrett - Three Interludes-Tanka, Organum, Keta

Post by Philip.Lawson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Thanks for taking the time to have a listen Dave, I'm glad you enjoyed them :)

Regarding the sound, these Interludes were recorded in a lovely little church on the outskirts of Dublin - all the reverb you are hearing is completely natural.
I couldn't believe how much came through when I listened back to the recording!

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Wonderful music, Philip! Challenging for you as performer as for the listener. I loved every second! :bravo: :merci: :bye:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Philip.Lawson

Post by Philip.Lawson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Thank you so much Erik. I'm so glad you loved the music.

Dave and Erik, I've passed your comments on to Garrett. He'll be delighted :)

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Wow! I was sure that must have been post-processing reverb! That's a sea of 'verb! I guess all of these software programs have presets like "Old Stone Church Reverb" for a reason. :)

I meant to ask, Philip—have these been published? I would love to play them myself. Thanks again.

Peace

dave b
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:43 pm

I agree the sound is wonderful. I really enjoyed listening.

Thanks to both of you.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Philip.Lawson

Post by Philip.Lawson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks for listening George, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Dave, the Three Interludes are in the middle of being published by the production company Ergodos.
PM me for their email address if you want to contact them for more details :)

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi Philip,

Thanks for sharing. Great,deep music played by a great, deep player.

Philip.Lawson

Post by Philip.Lawson » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:01 pm

Hi Ben,

Thanks for listening and for such kind words :)

amy3000

Post by amy3000 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Lovely Philip. I have been reading quite a bit (and writing a little) poetry lately and I can feel the rhythm of poetry in this music.

Philip.Lawson

Post by Philip.Lawson » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks Amy. I'm glad you liked it!

PatD

Post by PatD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:23 pm

Lovely, spacious music. You have conveyed the intimacy of the guitar.

Philip.Lawson

Post by Philip.Lawson » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:23 pm

You're very kind PatD :) Thanks for listening!

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:24 am

Whatc ame into my mind was "painting with sound" and then " pink floyd for classical guitar"...
Thanls for posting this!

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”