Tuning by ear - Test your pitch differentiating ability here

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Cao Nguyen

Tuning by ear - Test your pitch differentiating ability here

Postby Cao Nguyen » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:58 am

http://tonometric.com/adaptivepitch/
Use a good headphone. The result divided by 30 then multiplied by 100 will give you the difference in cents between two monotones that you can distinguish at 500Hz. Mine is 1.2Hz, which equals 4 cents. The average is ~10 cents.

Have fun!

Bob

Re: Tuning by ear - Test your pitch differentiating ability here

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:15 am

Interesting little test. My results was 2.1Hz (7 cents), turns out I'm not as special as I'd like to believe!

Alicia

Postby Alicia » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:43 pm

That was fun. I got 0.75 Hz. Not sure what that means though.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

Tonyyyyy

Postby Tonyyyyy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:12 am

I got 0.18. Not clear if its good or bad
I felt I was guessing a lot. And straight after entering my guess the next one came .. a second to compose myself would help, maybe

Fun to try but it would be more satisfying if it was more obvious - obviously it was obvious to the guy writing it!. And if they want an estimation of my ethnicity the choices were strange. (I decided 'other')

Cao Nguyen

Postby Cao Nguyen » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:09 am

Tony,
If you can reliably differentiate two tones that are 0.18Hz apart at 500Hz, you have exceptional ears! 0.18Hz at that frequency approximately equals 0.6 cents.
Is 0.18 the average result that the website reports to you after finishing the test, or the lowest number you could achieve? If it was the latter, it's not really meaningful.
You can replay the tones as many times as you want. I can distinguish the tones without replaying up to 1.5Hz. From 0.75Hz and beyond I need to concentrate more and replay a lot. I can get it to as low as 0.04Hz but it's not a reliable result because I was guessing or not sure about the answer. 1.2Hz seems to be the correct figure to reflect my ability.

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:55 am

I got 1.2 Hz too. I did the exact same test a couple of years ago and faired a little better. With some practice I'm pretty sure you can improve your results a little. Anyone who scores under 1 Hz is getting pretty exceptional results.
Historicalguitars.

Christopher Freitag

Postby Christopher Freitag » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Really interesting, and harder than expected. I ended with 1.05Hz. I didn't have easy access to headphones and used my speakers; I might try it again with phones to see if the results change.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

Tonyyyyy

Postby Tonyyyyy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Cao Nguyen wrote:Tony,
If you can reliably differentiate two tones that are 0.18Hz apart at 500Hz, you have exceptional ears! 0.18Hz at that frequency approximately equals 0.6 cents.
Is 0.18 the average result that the website reports to you after finishing the test, or the lowest number you could achieve? If it was the latter, it's not really meaningful.
You can replay the tones as many times as you want. I can distinguish the tones without replaying up to 1.5Hz. From 0.75Hz and beyond I need to concentrate more and replay a lot. I can get it to as low as 0.04Hz but it's not a reliable result because I was guessing or not sure about the answer. 1.2Hz seems to be the correct figure to reflect my ability.

Ok I tried again and got 0.4125 Hz (average). I felt clearer about the meaning of the figures now. I usually tune by ear, which I'm sure helps. Some days I feel tired or stressed and may struggle to tune -then I need a tuner for extra help

A friend who usually uses a tuner tried the test, and got a slightly below average score; he is interested in using the site to help improve his ear.

Cao, You seem to have taken the test a few times - are your scores improving?

TomPage

Postby TomPage » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:35 am

I got .4125, 94th percentile. But it is over a laptop speaker in the kitchen with the dishwasher running.
Tom

Cao Nguyen

Postby Cao Nguyen » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:54 am

Tonyyyyy wrote:Cao, You seem to have taken the test a few times - are your scores improving?

Yes, they're improving. The first time I got around 3 Hz. The second time I got a little above 1.5 Hz. Now I can get 1.2, 0.8, 0.4 and once, 0.03 Hz(!). An inherent problem in a probability distribution is, the higher the percentile, the less accurate (reliable) the quantity. You should do the test several times and see if you can get consistent results around some number. I find it hardest at around 0.75Hz. After that, it seems to be easier, even if the difference is under 0.1 Hz. Could it be the interference of the sound waves that I heard and the ones I'm hearing :?:

Some people here seem to have very exceptional ears!

Gtrplyr1

Postby Gtrplyr1 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Got to .375 ! Fun ! Now ... will this help me tune my guitar or just make it harder since the thing is never really in tune anyway ... Hmmm ?

Evocacion

Postby Evocacion » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:56 pm

I got 2.1 too, which is apparently on the low end of normal, not quite good enough to be good!.

I guess I'll stick to my electronic tuner...

Tonyyyyy

Postby Tonyyyyy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:20 am

Evocacion wrote:I got 2.1 too, which is apparently on the low end of normal, not quite good enough to be good!.

I guess I'll stick to my electronic tuner...

If you tune by ear every day it most likely would really improve your pitch discrimination. I guess there are a small minority of people who for physiological reasons will struggle with it.

Right from the beginning I used my ear to tune (I suppose because electronic devices were much more expensive when I started playing, and it didnt seem like a priority to get one). So I got good at doing it ...out of necessity

On a 'bad ear day' I will use a tuner, but it seems to take more time and effort to first locate and then use the device.

SteveL123

Postby SteveL123 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:53 pm

:( Cool test! First time I got 1.1 hz but hit the wrong up/down arrows a couple of times on notes that were far apart so my score should have been better. Second test I took my time before hitting the arrows and got 0.525 hz. I learned to play guitar (elec) by ear in the 70's and figured licks out from songs on the radio, never took any music lessons. I am paying for that now. :(

D.Cass

Postby D.Cass » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:39 am

First time for the test, I scored .18. I don't know how that translated to cents. Cool test

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”