Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner ?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
aba

Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner ?

Postby aba » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi, is there anyone who has experience with the online classes of Classical Guitar Corner of Simon Powis?

I would like to join the free Delcamp lessons, but for personal reasons I don't want my full real name on the internet and youtube. So I'm looking for alternatives to get good structured classic guitar lessons on-line.

PAustin

Re: Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner ?

Postby PAustin » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:44 pm

I haven't taken any of Simons classes officially, however I have watched many of his videos and subscribe to his newsletter. I find his newsletter well worth the read as it is full of tips and lessons. I really like Simon's style of teaching as well.
Paul Austin

2009 Pavan TP-30 Spruce
1980's ? Yamaha G-231 II

doug

Postby doug » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:40 pm

I've been a member for a couple of months, and I can highly recommend them!
2015 German Vazquez Rubio "Estudio 640" SP/PE
2012 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, SP
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C

doug

Postby doug » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:45 pm

The lessons are designed for a dedicated amateur. I find them very informative. There are videos and quite a lot of downloadable material.

aba

Postby aba » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi doug,
I think I am a dedicated amateur :) so that is good to hear. Do you think the lessons have a structure? I mean, my problem is that I'm not progressing because I'm just playing through my "repertoire" and don't know how (or are not motivated) to insert technical excersices (scales, arpeggio's). Does he give gidelines on what to practice everyday and how long and in wich order?

doug

Postby doug » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:18 am

Yes, and that's the main reason that I joined the site. I was also just playing thru my repertoire every day, but I really didn't seem to be getting much better. I also started to realize that I was developing some bad habits. I decided to try the lessons for a month. I have been extremely impressed with them! He emphasizes structured practice, and that is what I need. I feel like I am now improving more than I would have, had I not signed up for the lessons. I have signed up for a year. The lessons are an extremely good value.

doug

Postby doug » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:35 pm

I forgot to mention that, on the webpage, there are also podcasts about different aspects of classical guitar and music....interviews with luthiers, performers, educators, etc. There are opportunities for live performance webinars that you can participate in if you desire.....and just watch if you don't want to actually be in. Members can participate in a forum. And, in my opinion, Simon is an excellent teacher!

aba

Postby aba » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Thanks doug! You persuaded me, I signed up for a year. It is a lot of money for me, but I hope it will get me on the right track.

Sandan

Postby Sandan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi, I've never taken online lessons with him. However, I, recently, participated on his online discussion with participants from all over the world. The methods suggested and discussed to improve our practices are excellent. Especially when our times are limited.
Mathematics is Music for the mind and Music is Mathematics for the soul. "ANONYMOUS"

2016 Robert England - Bubinga with cedar top
2014 Robert England - Customed Venetian Cutaway maple with spruce top
2008 Robert England

liuguowei

Postby liuguowei » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:37 pm

Wow! Thanks everyone. I wanted to ask this very same question. I am also thinking of signing up for a one year subscription, which is less than 3 months of private lessons with my previous instructor. Previously, I have tried Los Angeles Guitar Academy OnLine lessons and found that the videos used to show the right hand not very useful, and the lesson don't appear to give you much in way of analyzing pieces. Also when I browsed the Classical Guitar Corner, I could see the right hand in better detail than the LAGA videos.
Esteve 7SR

si vales, valeō

aba

Postby aba » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:37 pm

I subscribed three days ago and I really like his method. It is rather expensive but the lessons are addictive. I started from the absolute beginning and I think his method is very good for people who want to learn nylon-string/classical guitar from scratch. He takes the time to explain things (music notation, theory, etc) and it is well structured. Compared to Noad he goes much slower and I like that. He has filmed every exercise in detail and explains why the exercise is important. But if you are an experienced player and want to play more advanced music, than you should know that his repertoire is now at the level of Study in D major by Sor, Lagrima by Tarrega, Le Papillon by Mauro Giuliani. He calls that level 2. In his blog he has announced that he soon will teach more advanced music, (level 3, level 4) but I don't know how soon. Some (too few) participants are sharing recordings of their playing, but I hope that more people will do that in the near future.

Again, I would have taken the lessons of Delcamp, if I didn't had to go with my full name and exercises freely on the internet.

Maybe I'll see you soon at Simon's :)

lagartija

Postby lagartija » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:14 pm

Not only is he passionate about teaching, but he seems to be a very nice guy! He will be playing in the November 2016 ¡Guitarra! Concert Series in Amherst, Massachusetts if any of you live close enough. He will also be teaching a workshop/masterclass. :-D
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

HNLim

Postby HNLim » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:40 am

This is very interesting. How costly is the course?
1978 Yamaha GC30A - S/BRW
2012 Esteve Adalid - S/BRW
2014 Sen #5 - S/BRW
2016 HNLim - S/BRW-
1974 S.Yairi 950 S/BRW - converted to10-string-2015
HN Lim 14-string - S/BRW - Very close to completion.
1974 S.Yairi 800 : Retired

FHC

Postby FHC » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:15 am

HNLim wrote:This is very interesting. How costly is the course?

CGC provides three methods of payment with a 30-day 100% money-back guarantee. His website is nicely laid out and spells out the details. Plus, he has tons of free stuff on there. The CGC keeps growing in terms of content too.

quavers

Postby quavers » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:27 pm

I am impressed with Mr. Powis' courses. He is dedicated and delivers an amazing experience for relatively little money and has a whole lot of free stuff that is useful to a player at any level. Also look for his podcast; it's always informative and yes, it's free.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”