Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Jedaks

Re: Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner ?

Post by Jedaks » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:17 am

I've been a member for about 6 months and I am happy with things. The content is high quality and Simon does a good job of trying to keep in touch with each member via emails or messages within the website.

But like all educational materials, if you don't use it then it can't help you. If you honestly have the self-discipline to drive yourself then it is one of the best CG teaching sites in the world. Also, every couple of weeks there is a members "webinar" where we all listen to each other play and Simon gives critiques and advice.

Another website which I recommend is Classical Guitar Shed, which is ran by Allen Matthews. I was a member of this site for awhile also but I settled on Simon's. It is very similar and Allen makes great efforts to make personal contact with his students.
"He gave it for his opinion, that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind"... J.Swift

Mark Featherstone

Post by Mark Featherstone » Tue May 10, 2016 10:43 am

aba wrote:Hi, is there anyone who has experience with the online classes of Classical Guitar Corner of Simon Powis?

I would like to join the free Delcamp lessons, but for personal reasons I don't want my full real name on the internet and youtube. So I'm looking for alternatives to get good structured classic guitar lessons on-line.
I've been with Simon for a couple of months now and I am very, very happy with him as a teacher and the quality of the site. The materials -- sheet music, technical exercises, video recordings -- are all prepared by Simon himself to exacting standards. He is a super friendly and approachable guy who genuinely wants to help, and I can tell you that he's an insightful teacher.

The community there is also welcoming and encouraging. As someone was saying, there is a fun and useful online gathering for meeting up and playing and receiving feedback. A recent innovation on the site is the introduction of certificate courses from beginner onward which involve submitting written and recorded material for evaluation by Simon. It must be, in fact I know it is, an extraordinary amount of work for him. Given the burgeoning membership, you can't expect the extended personal attention you would get with a one-on-one lesson, but it's the next best thing. It's given me the feedback and structure that I need to feel that I'm progressing.
Francisco Navarro Concert Classical, cedar top, 630 mm scale, 50 mm nut

"The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."
Bruce Cockburn

crispoli

Post by crispoli » Thu May 12, 2016 1:56 am

Simon is an impeccable teacher and a stand up guy! He got his DMA from Yale with Ben Verdery. I know that he puts an incredible amount of resources into CGC, but I have only purchased his scale book as a PDF download. It's laid out very clearly and is very methodical. If you live anywhere near NYC you might consider just taking private lessons with him. One of my best friends does and he has grown immensely as a player. :D
Cheers,

Christopher Rispoli

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Thu May 12, 2016 2:13 am

Just to nudge this thread in another direction, Simon Powis is also a founding member of Cathedral Parkway, a New York based trio with singer Caroline Eckman and guitarist Colin Davin. They released a CD last year. It’s called “Howl at the Moon,” and you can find it “on the river.” Here’s a video of one of their songs:

Youtube

I have this CD. It’s quite good.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Mark Rose
Student of the online lessons

Post by Mark Rose » Thu May 12, 2016 10:24 pm

I am also on the Powis website. I tried others and this one was the best for me. Structured, active and friendly community (not very critical), and web event every two weeks so you can have an online lesson, taking turns playing pieces. The certificate program that Mark noted above are programmed for you to follow or not, it's very flexible. I recommend to consider getting free email newsletters from other sites, too, that are out there like Allen Mathews at classical guitar shed. There is a lot to be learned by getting varied viewpoints and ideas from a diverse set of instructors.

mark

khayes

Post by khayes » Fri May 13, 2016 12:38 am

Jedaks wrote: Another website which I recommend is Classical Guitar Shed, which is ran by Allen Matthews. I was a member of this site for awhile also but I settled on Simon's. It is very similar and Allen makes great efforts to make personal contact with his students.
Hey, thanks for this link. I had not heard of it...looks interesting.
Ken

liuguowei

Post by liuguowei » Tue May 17, 2016 4:00 pm

Tom Poore wrote:Just to nudge this thread in another direction, Simon Powis is also a founding member of Cathedral Parkway, a New York based trio with singer Caroline Eckman and guitarist Colin Davin. They released a CD last year. It’s called “Howl at the Moon,” and you can find it “on the river.” Here’s a video of one of their songs:

Youtube

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
thanks! it is good to see Simon play steel string, which just shows how flexible CG training is!
Esteve 7SR

si vales, valeō

macberto

Post by macberto » Wed May 18, 2016 4:01 pm

I tried the beginner course. Just like others have said, him and his site are great. My only gripe was that there really was no clear set order in which to follow the course (similar to a method book). So you really need to figure out yourself when to jump around between the fundamental, notation, and technique courses back and forth. Also, when I canceled my subscription, the account also got canceled instead of having the remaining days still available for access.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu May 19, 2016 3:44 am

As a very experienced player not in need of Simon's course, I recommend it highly: he's intelligent and curious, and takes lessons himself, when he has an opportunity, from some the the best players in the world. For the dedicated amateur or serious beginner, it's very well done.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

FHC

Post by FHC » Fri May 20, 2016 3:13 pm

macberto wrote:I tried the beginner course. Just like others have said, him and his site are great. My only gripe was that there really was no clear set order in which to follow the course (similar to a method book). So you really need to figure out yourself when to jump around between the fundamental, notation, and technique courses back and forth. Also, when I canceled my subscription, the account also got canceled instead of having the remaining days still available for access.
There.are now specific steps for each level.

FHC

Post by FHC » Fri May 20, 2016 3:18 pm

Tom Poore wrote:Just to nudge this thread in another direction, Simon Powis is also a founding member of Cathedral Parkway, a New York based trio with singer Caroline Eckman and guitarist Colin Davin. They released a CD last year. It’s called “Howl at the Moon,” and you can find it “on the river.” Here’s a video of one of their songs:

Youtube

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Great video. Shows how cramped those tiny apartments are in NYC :)

Lily

Post by Lily » Thu May 26, 2016 12:14 am

Has anyone tried Allen Matthews on-line courses? I am guessing that his and Simon Powis' site each have their strengths. I am trying to decide between the two... Can someone say what they like about about Matthew's program? Thanks in advance.
Faves: John Renbourn, Andrew York
Yamaha C40 :-)

aba

Post by aba » Fri May 27, 2016 8:54 am

macberto wrote:
My only gripe was that there really was no clear set order in which to follow the course (similar to a method book). So you really need to figure out yourself when to jump around between the fundamental, notation, and technique courses back and forth.
Recently Simon Powis added the certificate courses (level 1, 2 and in the near future level 3, and maybe 4) with all his lessons in a very logical order. No jumping around anymore. And you can send or upload videos to get a certificate for that level. I am now a proud owner of a level 1 certificate and going on to level 2.

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:41 am

i took simon's guitoberfest workshop and loved it! the workshop was a month long packed with tons of great info. and ben verdery , gohar , and kevin gallaher were the guest teachers... just fantastic! highly recommended

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri May 27, 2016 11:58 am

FHC wrote:

Youtube

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Great video. Shows how cramped those tiny apartments are in NYC :)
Ha! I daresay that every apartment in New York can fit a guitar, what more do you need? We all certainly make do with small spaces.

Fun video. They look a little flattened out by the lens being used, perhaps going wide angle with distortion would have been better.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”