Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
larryguitar

Re: Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner ?

Post by larryguitar » Fri May 27, 2016 12:00 pm

Tim522 wrote:i took simon's guitoberfest workshop and loved it! the workshop was a month long packed with tons of great info. and ben verdery , gohar , and kevin gallaher were the guest teachers... just fantastic! highly recommended
When was this festival, I missed it. Was it the one at the 92nd St Y a couple of months ago?

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:40 pm

no, it was in october

jox51

Post by jox51 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:34 am

I took a look at his site and I am considering taking his classes. Thank you.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:31 am

Just found it and registered Dr Powis email free lesson. Thks
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Yamaha G225

liuguowei

Post by liuguowei » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:30 am

I just signed up last week for full year. I have found the lessons very useful and very informative. If you already have some experience you can skip around on the different levels. Also with the yearly membership you can download all the required music for the lessons. No need to buy any sheet music.
Esteve 7SR

si vales, valeō

derekmcdm

Post by derekmcdm » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:49 pm

I'm not a member but the free podcasts are well worth a listen.

Balrama

Post by Balrama » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:06 am

I am having a look at this site and it has certificates.

But what good are these certificates are they accredited anywhere?

aba

Post by aba » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi Balrama, the certificates are not accredited anywhere. In Simons own words: "The real purpose and point of these certificates is to provide a positive source of motivation." and "To put things into context, each Level in CGC is roughly equivalent to two Grades of other examination organizations."

About the certificate course: "In the first instance, the certificate course provides members with a very clear line of study, should they wish to practice comprehensively in a highly structured manner. There is still the option to pick and choose what lessons to take in the membership, but this linear path offers a clear guidance to those who want it."

I am completing level 2 at the moment and for me it is a very rewarding way to learn classical guitar.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:37 am

Hi aba,
Do you plan to take certified grade, say ABRSM? My target is to get ABRSM grade cert. Not sure if online class can help.
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Yamaha G225

aba

Post by aba » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:32 pm

Hi keithwwk,
I am just learning for my own pleasure and I don't need any certified grade. The recorded lessons of Simon have a high quality, you can learn a lot from them. It is certainly really a lot better than studying from books on your own. To get feedback from Simon you have to participate in the bi-weekly online sessions, but if you live in Singapore I don't know if the time is convenient (in the Netherlands it is not), the sessions are at 5 o clock (new york time). Also the sound of those sessions is bad, but I believe Simon is searching for a better solution for that. If you upload/share a recording of your playing to the CGC (as a member) you will get comments (mostly very friendly) of other students and sometimes of Dave (an other teacher who is active on the CGC forum) or (less probable) Simon. If you don't have a good teacher around, than I think this is the best way to learn classical guitar.

Balrama

Post by Balrama » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:54 am

Well I signed up, started on Lvl 1 which seems to equate to up to D02 here based on the Sor studies.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:26 am

Is CGC sheet music only, or is tab also included in all courses/exercises?

/J
1965 - Masaru Kono
1996 - Masaru Kohno Maestro

You are the instrument, not the guitar

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:15 am

Sheet music only. One of the courses is all about learning to read music.

kamikazepilot

Post by kamikazepilot » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:42 pm

I paid for a full years course in March of this year, & have made good steady progress . I tried formal one to one lessons & on a weekly basis with a professional teacher , but made very little progress for a large cash outlay. Simon Powis gives clear , concise lessons by video, which can be viewed as frequently as you like, while offering various exercises & challenges relating to them. Like one of your earlier contributors, I thought that the course lacked structure, & I jumped rather aimlessly between the different courses available: 1) Notation & sight reading 2) Technique & musicianship, 3)Theory & analysis & 4) Repertoire . The last course is a Certificate Course, which I ignored because i wasn't interested in gaining certification .. ... I SHOULD HAVE LOOKED AT IT , because it takes you through the entire course , with an ordered structure of 48 videos & lessons taken from the four main lessons, leading to an opportunity to submit a performance for appraisal. Since using this feature , learning has become much less of a struggle!!! i would not hesitate to recommend this course . If anyone wants a specific question answered re my course , I will endeavor to do so. Regards, Paul.

Pauline Chan

Post by Pauline Chan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:54 am

Has anyone who has signed up for CGC benefitted from the interaction with the student community?

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”