Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
doug

Re: Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner ?

Post by doug » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:52 pm

.....and there are "live member events" that you can participate it.....He and several members are live. You can watch if you don't want to participate. They're quite informative.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C
2015 GV Rubio Estudio 640 SP/PE
2009 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640 SP

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:00 pm

No brainer then

doug

Post by doug » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:22 am

I've been very impressed with the in-depth analysis he goes through with each piece. I have just downloaded the free (with membership) book for the third level, and have begun to work on the first piece. He is continually adding material to the site.

SRP

Post by SRP » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:29 am

Hi,

Would you share why you started with Matthews and then switched to Powis?

Will need to choose one of these as I could not find any other online courses that seemed appropriate and offered a structured program. I've been exploring their offerings via refundable one month subscriptions (which expire as refundable in about 3 weeks.). Are you able/willing to venture a guess as to what might be the relative proficiency of a committed new learner at the end of the first level for each (Level 1 for Powis and 1F for Matthews' Woodshed)?

I'm a senior (74) just starting my first musical instrument with no musical training aside from a few half hour lessons. I've chosen the classical guitar despite being told it is not the easiest to learn and be relatively proficient. Am interested in learning to read music notation and to be able to accurately and musically play pieces with difficulty ranging from (my guess) upper beginner to intermediate. One benchmark might be to do well with Hal Leonard's 17 Finger-picking Standards.

Thank you,
Sol

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:05 am

SRP wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:29 am
Hi,

Would you share why you started with Matthews and then switched to Powis?

Will need to choose one of these as I could not find any other online courses that seemed appropriate and offered a structured program. I've been exploring their offerings via refundable one month subscriptions (which expire as refundable in about 3 weeks.). Are you able/willing to venture a guess as to what might be the relative proficiency of a committed new learner at the end of the first level for each (Level 1 for Powis and 1F for Matthews' Woodshed)?

I'm a senior (74) just starting my first musical instrument with no musical training aside from a few half hour lessons. I've chosen the classical guitar despite being told it is not the easiest to learn and be relatively proficient. Am interested in learning to read music notation and to be able to accurately and musically play pieces with difficulty ranging from (my guess) upper beginner to intermediate. One benchmark might be to do well with Hal Leonard's 17 Finger-picking Standards.

Thank you,
Sol
Having a teacher would obviously be your best bet but failing that I think the Simon Powis membership would be good for you and would teach you a lot from the basic fundamentals onwards in a nice progressive way. You could always just pay for 1 month to see what you think before committing to a yearly membership.

Seraphim

Post by Seraphim » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:08 am

This has been a great thread, as I'm heavily leaning towards subscribing to CGC, but I'd like yet more feedback: has anybody here taken CGC lessons from the absolute beginner level? I.e. barely understanding how to hold a guitar, no knowledge of how to read music at all, never played an instrument before in their life? Or does anyone know anyone who has. I've watched various seemingly good videos, mostly linked to elsewhere in the forum, on basic aspects of lh technique and posture and so on, and have improved (if I use wrist pain as a gauge of improvement) but wonder what the progression and materials are like at the absolute beginner level. I'm currently trying to focus on making clear sounding notes while staying relaxed, learning where the notes are on the fret board & reading notation, and strumming chords (I only know two) relaxedly and clearly.

For reference, since it seems to be commonly mentioned here, I have a good deal of experience dealing with posture and muscle relaxation related exercises/concepts through the Alexander Technique and a few other avenues, so that may not be as difficult for me as for some other comparatively tense-bodied self-learners (of course, I'm still much more tense than I should be).

Thanks,
Seraphim

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:37 pm

I didn't take the lessons as an absolute beginner so can't help you there but one thought I had was...I think with these self teach online lessons, they are good and certainly the way Simon teaches them and explains things is very good but I think how you progress is really down to your approach and how you apply what Simon shows you in the videos. You have to essentially be your own teacher in the sense that you have to be very self critical of each lesson as you practice, really listen to what you are playing, listen and look for issues and fix them. There isn't a teacher there next to you to hear you and to give you instant feedback on what you are doing wrong. I don't think everyone has the mentality or discipline in this regard so the lessons are one thing but it's how you apply them and how hard you are on yourself is what will make you improve.
It can be easy to rattle through one of his exercises and think 'done, next one' and then rattle through the rest of them but then this will be of limited value and you might 6 months later think 'jeez, these lessons are rubbish, I haven't improved much'. Well that's not really down to the the online lessons/exercises, it's down to how you have practiced them.

doug

Post by doug » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:54 pm

I didn't start as an absolute beginner either. I started because I am self-taught, and I realized I was making mistakes. I started the site just like I was an absolute beginner, and I'm working my way through the material. It has helped me, and I would recommend it to any beginner who doesn't have a teacher.

Seraphim

Post by Seraphim » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:10 pm

That makes a lot of sense, the gist I get so far is that the lessons and materials themselves are top notch and just need to be utilized. So far I've been treating learning guitar as a physical more than a musical activity, and that approach may help with self learning (or may not) since I will (hopefully) continue to be conscious of the importance of physically mastering various technical aspects of playing guitar and not be overwhelmed with the desire to play fun and interesting music. Another question is, has anybody looked thoroughly at the materials he has for learning how to read music? This is something I'm very inexperienced with. I know that there are a lot of resources online for this, and so will probably supplement or use some of them before subscribing to Simon's website, because reading music has always seemed like a fearsome enterprise to me, despite being assured that it is not.

doug

Post by doug » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Yes. There is instruction on sight reading.
The courses are arranged in "blocks." The first one is "Fundamentals." It's just that....how to hold the guitar, etc. The next "block" is called "Level 1....Beginner."
It has the following subdivisions: "Level 1 certificate course," "Notation and Sight Reading," "Technique and musicianship," "Theory and Analysis," and "Repertoire...solo and duo." Each one of these sections have numerous subdivisions under them. There's enough material in Level 1, to last you quite a while!!! ....and accompanying sheet music, etc, is free to members.
I like the site.

FHC

Post by FHC » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:17 pm

Also taking advantage of posting videos and playing during a live seminar will provide one with feedback along the journey--feedback from Simon and many others.

poc600

Post by poc600 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:52 am

I've just joined this site as a total beginner but it seems to me you are still able to follow the Delcamp level courses without having to put your full name in but you just can't submit recordings etc. I am correct in thinking this ?

aba

Post by aba » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:01 am

Yes, you can. But getting feedback is a very important aspect of learning. I have joined Powis CGC for one year and I learned a lot in that year from the feedback.

fraim

Post by fraim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:13 am

i'm on yr 2 of membership & having run into him at a cg concert in nyc i can both vouch for his site & his person. if you join i'm sure you will learn & enjoy your time there. i've been back to cg for 6yrs, have a private teacher & always learn tons from his site. join & have fun!

Steve Langham

Re: Simon Powis Classical Guitar Corner?

Post by Steve Langham » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:05 am

Would it be possible for a member to screenshot/list the lessons/repertoire studies currently on the site for the level 3 and level 4 material if it isn't too much trouble? I'd like to see how much there is here before I think about joining.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”