New pieces past 10-15 years?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
DTut

New pieces past 10-15 years?

Post by DTut » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Have there been any pieces in the last say, 10-15 years that really stand out as important, well liked works? I've been out of the scene and not familiar with newer modern works. I'm looking for new recorded cg music to listen to, not play(!)

Thanks--Dave

djajasoekarta

Re: New pieces past 10-15 years?

Post by djajasoekarta » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:13 pm

There's countless of new music being produced every time so perhaps a detailed list would be a bit statistical :)

For me, perhaps the Roberto Sierra's Sonata (recorded very well by Marcin Dylla on Youtube) stands out. Sierra is one of leading American composer with a very high achievement.

I think the 'fate' of a piece to be considered important is quite complex besides being largely subjective. The number of performance and reputation of the performers also seems to have some role in determining it. No matter how good a piece is, if the performance is very rare and not entering the general repertoire it would be hardly considered important.

Cheers,
Last edited by djajasoekarta on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The woolen cloth of his suit made me question the value of Chinese silks. His fountain pen made me ashamed of my writing brushes and Chinese writing paper' - Puyi

'I don't write music to be difficult, only to be more like itself' - Harrison Birtwistle

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:22 pm

That can be answered a couple of ways.

Yes, there are LOTS of new works, some of which are very well-considered musical constructions. Angelo Gilardino's various Sonatas come to mind. Marek Pasieczny is another significant composer of heavy gauge modern CG works. For myself, I prefer the lighter fare of modern composers such as Jean-Marie Raymond, Maria Linnemann, Per-Olav Kindgren, Giorgio Signorile, Yves Carlin, and so forth. None of these make any claims toward being Serious Important Music, but it is enjoyable to me and to many others even though these works won't likely hold up through the coming decades.

But to the best of my awareness, NONE of these modern works, large or small, have (yet) become Core Repertoire Standards. Usually these pieces are in the repertoires of the composer or the work's dedicatee, or of a few "fans", and are not often taken up by others.

That said, the CDs and YT videos of many of these and other recently written pieces are readily available.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:39 pm

This was premiered in 2013:
http://vietcuongmusic.com/obsession

The excellent guitarist who commissioned and premiered this piece, Krystin O’Mara, also did the first recording of Ian Krouse’s “Trois Tableaux d’Andersen.” This is a fine three movement work that was composed some 30 years ago, but has inexplicably languished unplayed and unrecorded. You can find O’Mara’s evocative performance on Youtube.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:54 pm

I know it's around 30 years old but Carlo Domeniconi's Koyunbaba would seem to fit your bill. Perhaps 10-15 years is too short a period of time for a piece to become important and well liked?

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:01 am

Andrew York has written some nice pieces. Whether they will hold up to the test of time....who knows. But there are many conservatory students who are playing them.
I'm not sure when he wrote "Tapestry", but that one I think might become a permanent part of the CG rep.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:34 am

I am not sure what kind of music you like, and I can't think of individual pieces off-hand, but I very much recommend these more recent CDs, all released in 2013 (they are well-liked to me!).

"Out of Africa - and Around the World" performed by Denis Azabagic. Some of the pieces predate your 10-15 years, but I am not
sure that you'll hear them elsewhere.

"21st Century Spanish Guitar Music" performed by Adam Levin. All written within your time frame!

"Stepping Stones" performed by John Williams. Again, a few older pieces, but some much newer ones, too.
Last edited by Lovemyguitar on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:10 pm

I wondered if John Williams (the composer, not the famous guitarist) wrote anything for guitar. I found this:
Rounds" (2012), for solo guitar - Composed for Spanish guitarist Pablo Sáinz Villegas and premiered in June 2012 at the Parkening International Guitar Competition in Malibu.[10]
I will have to find a recording and see what it is like!
__/^^^^^o>

bear

Post by bear » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:32 pm

lagartija wrote:Andrew York has written some nice pieces. Whether they will hold up to the test of time....who knows. But there are many conservatory students who are playing them.
I'm not sure when he wrote "Tapestry", but that one I think might become a permanent part of the CG rep.
I looked for Tapestry under a list of his compositions and couldn't find it. Unfortunately, the only Tapestry, I know is Carol Kings'. Is there a performance of the piece that I could listen too?
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:31 pm

bear wrote:
lagartija wrote:Andrew York has written some nice pieces. Whether they will hold up to the test of time....who knows. But there are many conservatory students who are playing them.
I looked for Tapestry under a list of his compositions and couldn't find it. Unfortunately, the only Tapestry, I know is Carol Kings'. Is there a performance of the piece that I could listen too?
:oops:
That's because I remembered the name incorrectly! It is "Woven Harmony". It is based on some tapestries woven by a friend of his and that is what I remembered. :roll:
__/^^^^^o>

bear

Post by bear » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:52 pm

lagartija wrote:
bear wrote:
:oops:
That's because I remembered the name incorrectly! It is "Woven Harmony". It is based on some tapestries woven by a friend of his and that is what I remembered. :roll:
Thank You. I don't remember how many things I've forgotten.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:44 pm

Roland Dyen's "Libra Sonatine", albeit 30 years ago. Especially the 3rd movement, "Fuoco".
Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar Instructor
Royal Conservatory Advanced Theory Instructor

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:32 pm

I think Magnus Lindberg's "Mano a mano" from 2004 should be more famous! Timo Korhonen recorded it and Marcin Dylla has it on youtube.
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:02 pm

'This Morning in Omagh the Sun Rose Again' and 'Incantations' from British composer William Lovelady.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

DTut

Post by DTut » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:47 pm

So far Marek Pasieczny has woken me up. Thanks for all the suggestions. I now have plenty of newer CG music to enjoy.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”