Should I strictly use indicated fingering?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Non Tabius

Re: Should I strictly use indicated fingering?

Post by Non Tabius » Sat May 28, 2016 10:15 am

I think as one grows with the instrument you find positions that work for your particular hand or finger size on the Left Hand and also the Right Hand whatever the case may be example Bar 11 Sor Op 31(16) playing the implied Bb maj 7 # 5(my interpretation) on the last chord of the bar in the X position, instead of the suggested IV .An open E in turn allowing for the drastic shift.Then again a piece like Barrios La Catedral,Prelude saudade can only work with the open strings on positions as recommended in the score in order to have that specific effect intended by the composer.But as already stated a piece or Etude might indicate specific fingerings to address specific Technic challenges.

baryon97

Post by baryon97 » Sat May 28, 2016 7:55 pm

Right-hand fingerings can be really difficult! I think it's worth persevering though, for many reasons. If you're finding a suggested fingering difficult, question it, maybe try to substitute your own, but don't just pluck 'at random'.
Raimundo 155 and a large, vicious dog guarding it.

derekmcdm

Post by derekmcdm » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:06 pm

It's okay to use different RH fingering as long as it's musically valid and not just 'easier'. But whatever you decide on it's essential to mark it on the score otherwise it's impossible to pick up from a particular phrase or note with the correct fingering when practising.

pima1234

Post by pima1234 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:36 pm

Get the RCM Guitar Series books. Except for a handful of errors (over what, 9 volumes?), the finger recommendations are excellent. I still go back to the very first book and work my way through. In fact, it's been essential in trying to claw my way back after a car accident.

Once you know what you're doing, not every guitarist plays everything the same way. For instance, I'm a lefty who plays rightly. My right hand will never equal John Williams's. And, my left hand gets more regular use, meaning I have to be efficient and practical.

In practicing the Bach BWV 1000, for instance, I'm just going to write in my own fingerings, and make a few changes based on other versions, so as to fit my ability. I also do not use all of Antigoni Goni's fingerings throughout Duarte's "The Birds".
Last edited by pima1234 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

pima1234

Post by pima1234 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:36 pm

And yes, there are some pieces that are really only playable one way.
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

IvoBosman

Post by IvoBosman » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:53 am

Btw, the Saitenwegen books are excellent resources. Right and left hand fingering and sometimes damping information is given, which makes it a very good songbook for beginners.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”