Teaching female students - sitting position

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Sharon Vizcaino

Re: Teaching female students - sitting position

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:57 pm

I apologize, you're right. It may have been more along the lines of uncomfortable. Still, that has little to do with my suggestion, which is simply asking the girls for their input. I was never appreciative of people deciding things for me without asking, and I doubt most teenagers are, either.
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:42 am

To get back to the original subject, the conclusions that I draw from this discussion are:
1. Do not compromise on the posture for holding the guitar. Girls and women should be taught the accepted best practices for holding the guitar, and not some compromised position for the sake of modesty.
2. There are very many superb performing classical guitarists who are women. When performing, they wear either slacks or long wide skirts. I concluded this by doing a quick survey on YouTube.
3. There is enough leeway (either by wearing long skirts, or by wearing slacks under the skirt) to teach girls in cultures where girls and women do not appear in public in slacks.
I am ignoring the issue of short skirts, because it is not relevant to my situation.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Sharon Vizcaino

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:31 am

Oh, another thing, when I was a kid the school uniform had some ridiculous skirt-short hybrid things, looked like a skirt, but with shorts underneath. Don't know if they have a name. Are those a possibility? Might be more comfortable than trying to wear leggings underneath, but I'm not actually sure because I never wear either skirts or leggings.
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:36 am

Sharon Vizcaino wrote:Oh, another thing, when I was a kid the school uniform had some ridiculous skirt-short hybrid things, looked like a skirt, but with shorts underneath. Don't know if they have a name. Are those a possibility? Might be more comfortable than trying to wear leggings underneath, but I'm not actually sure because I never wear either skirts or leggings.
Are you thinking of culottes?

Independant schools in UK are often sticklers for correct uniform even down to the point it has to be bought from a certain shop. That was why I suggested in an earlier post chaning into trousers just for the lesson and view it in the same way as changing into PE kit. That would be more likely to get through the uniform rules with the head and not set a precedent for other none playing students to take liberties with the uniform.

I hope the OP comes back to let us know the final outcome.

bear

Post by bear » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:45 am

muirtan wrote:
Sharon Vizcaino wrote:Oh, another thing, when I was a kid the school uniform had some ridiculous skirt-short hybrid things, looked like a skirt, but with shorts underneath. Don't know if they have a name. Are those a possibility? Might be more comfortable than trying to wear leggings underneath, but I'm not actually sure because I never wear either skirts or leggings.
Are you thinking of culottes?

Independant schools in UK are often sticklers for correct uniform even down to the point it has to be bought from a certain shop. That was why I suggested in an earlier post chaning into trousers just for the lesson and view it in the same way as changing into PE kit. That would be more likely to get through the uniform rules with the head and not set a precedent for other none playing students to take liberties with the uniform.

I hope the OP comes back to let us know the final outcome.
I remember something called "scorts". I think it's a shame that we even have to have a discussion like this. We as a society are still creating obstacles of inequality. When I was a boy I was taught to avert my eyes (honestly , I was a little inconsistent, but never obvious). The other day I saw a 4 year old flip off his mother.

There was a song, "I'm Glad I'm Old". It's not the one from "Gigi" and I don't remember the lyric but the title says it all.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

kienle51

Post by kienle51 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:41 am

Hahaha I accidentally visited this thread and find it so amusing.
I notice some professional female guitarist wear black long skirt in their performances, looks noble & elegant.
2011 - Yamaha CG122MC
2016 - Cordoba C9 SP/MH

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”