Two quick queries, please. (sight-reading).

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Bluey

Two quick queries, please. (sight-reading).

Post by Bluey » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:32 pm

I've began learning to read music and just have a couple of queries below if I may.

2016-08-12 00.19.16.jpg
Am I to play the 4th string with my thumb in this example above or am I to use 'i' and 'm' due to the alternating sequences.

2016-08-12 00.23.58.jpg
Crochet rest on the ringing 'C' I presume from the bar before? Do I just lift my left first finger on the 2nd string-1st fret (which is already there from playing the C) to mute the sound or should I use the palm of my right hand?

Any help appreciated as always.

Ta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chien buggle

Re: Two quick queries, please. (sight-reading).

Post by chien buggle » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:34 am

In the first example considering its all on the 4th string I would use p only, but no harm in playing I'm.

In the second example you could mute the C in many ways, left hand is easiest but maybe right hand thumb could also work. Definitely don't use your palm to do it as that would mess up your right hand position. Hope that helps

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:36 am

Thanks.

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:37 am

In 1 - at this stage it's not important; it's teaching you the position of the notes on the neck and the Stave and there are times when you will play those notes with your thumb and others when they'll be the higher harmonies and you'll be playing them with your fingers.

In 2 - use your right hand fingers, or lift your left hand finger to mute the sound; at this point either method is fine. On stage, at speed, however, you do whatever it takes to play that rest so being able to use either hand will be beneficial.

Bobbio84

Post by Bobbio84 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:37 am

1) Whatever you would like. Try both and use what you're most comfortable with. Myself, I would use im, hit I'm not you.

2) For this one I would lift the finger, because the next note is not on the same string therefore there is no need to place a RH finger. But again, either one would be fine as long as the end result gives a clear picture.
Alhambra 3C (nylon)
Yamaha SLG200N (nylon-electric)
Washburn D42SCE (steel)
Fender Piha'eu (ukulele)

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:33 am

Thanks, all.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”