One last quicky.

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Bluey

Re: One last quicky.

Post by Bluey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:27 pm

Do you guys practice and play a lot of free strokes with your thumb or do you tend to look to rest the thumb on a string even if it's not the string directly below?

It throws me off playing free strokes with my thumb as I lose my bearings a bit if I'm not constantly resting it on a string in a rest stroke technique. But these few bars in my sight reading book have me playing bass notes in a sequence going up and down where it's difficult to play my normal rest stroke. I play rest and free with my fingers it's just it hasn't came up before, as in this above example.

Ta,

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:05 pm

The thumb is sometimes required to play free strokes . After, it may be used to damp a previously played bass note or one that would ring sympathetically.
In my opinion, for what that's worth, it is just as mobile and agile as the fingers and is not kept fixed in place with weighted placement on a string. It might be touching a string very lightly to assist hand stability, but that job is sometimes fulfilled by one of the fingers and the thumb can hover above the strings, free to move agilely to the next bass note to be played. If your thumb is resting heavily on a string, you may have your hand balance too biased toward the thumb.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

chien buggle

Post by chien buggle » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:54 pm

You have to be able to play both rest stroke and free stroke with your thumb. Free stroke thumb is much more commonly needed but is very slightly more difficult for most students to get the hang of. A good teacher would show you exactly how to do this before you start to read notes on the bass strings.

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks, guys. It's took a few nights but I'm there now.

chien buggle

Post by chien buggle » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:06 pm

good on ye bluey:)

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:48 pm

Crotchet rests have now been addressed and I can play Sor's Andante Op. 60 No 14 to a fairly nice standard. I've always ignored rests because they seemed bothersome and difficult to play but no, that's not the case, I just needed practice. Onwards and up.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”