intermediate right hand technique exercises

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Adam

intermediate right hand technique exercises

Post by Adam » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:29 pm

Aside from just playing music, which is itself an exercise, can you recommend some good intermediate level right hand technique exercises?

I have a pretty good foundation, but I feel like my right hand technique could stand to improve, and I'd like to target it with exercises designed for this purpose.

Guido

Re: intermediate right hand technique exercises

Post by Guido » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:09 pm

Perhaps the Carcassi Opus 60 etudes will help..? Might be more enjoyable than just exercises and they are definitely helpful in developing your right hand technique.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:25 pm

Thanks, I will take a look.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Please buy Hubert Käppel's book on technique! Think the English version is called "The Bible of classical guitar technique" :-)
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:58 am

I think you improve more when you change and do exercises you haven't done before. They create new perspectives and help finding new better ways.
I like Iznaola's Kitharologus for the RH, with exercises of arpegios up and down all 6 strings, also openning and closing hand. Maybe its also time to start rasgueos and develop back muscles to balance the hand.
I also like Carlevaro's RH exercises (book 2), with the formulas including more than one thumb stroke within the pattern, in varied rhythms and varied combinations with ima fingers. Helps enhancing thumb independence.
I recommended those because they are different from regular famous Giuliani style exercises that keep ima only in treble strings or do not demand too much from thumb.
Another nice one is playing each few notes with different RH angle, or in a different position (near bridge, middle region or near arm) for different colors. Keep moving hand all the time. Nice for developing positioning security as well as developing sound variation. Also do the same with varied dynamics.

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:41 am

Kjetil Heggelund wrote:Please buy Hubert Käppel's book on technique! Think the English version is called "The Bible of classical guitar technique" :-)
Follow Kjetil's advice. I just bought Hubert Käppel's book. It is the first time since I started playing 50 years ago that I found guidance for reviewing and evaluating all aspects of my technique. The English is terrible (if you can read German, I would recommend the original), but the content is priceless. Sometimes you are left scratching your head as to what the translator meant. But never before have I had such detailed guidance in improving my technique. Ask me in a year how much difference it makes. At first glace, it seems it will make a huge improvement in my abilities.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

curcuma

Post by curcuma » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:36 am

Indeed, Carlevaro is very useful. My teacher let me do it at the start of each lesson. It helped me controlling my
rh fingers, hitting the right bass string and keeping a constant tempo. The slide chord goes up to position 11 and then back down again.I still use it
when working on a new picking pattern. Good luck!

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:18 pm

Later on Carlevaro regretted the use of the diminished chord for the RH. It may generate unnecessary tension in LH and deviate focus from RH. He recommended only holding bass line cromatically instead. I learnt that from a teacher who was his student. I think he wrote this note in his guitar school book.

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:52 am

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Kjetil Heggelund wrote:Please buy Hubert Käppel's book on technique! Think the English version is called "The Bible of classical guitar technique" :-)
Follow Kjetil's advice. I just bought Hubert Käppel's book. It is the first time since I started playing 50 years ago that I found guidance for reviewing and evaluating all aspects of my technique. The English is terrible (if you can read German, I would recommend the original), but the content is priceless. Sometimes you are left scratching your head as to what the translator meant. But never before have I had such detailed guidance in improving my technique. Ask me in a year how much difference it makes. At first glace, it seems it will make a huge improvement in my abilities.
The cheapest I can find the book is $36 at SBM. Even so, I am intrigued and might just pull the trigger.

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:57 am

Luis_Br wrote:I think you improve more when you change and do exercises you haven't done before. They create new perspectives and help finding new better ways.
I like Iznaola's Kitharologus for the RH, with exercises of arpegios up and down all 6 strings, also openning and closing hand. Maybe its also time to start rasgueos and develop back muscles to balance the hand.
I also like Carlevaro's RH exercises (book 2), with the formulas including more than one thumb stroke within the pattern, in varied rhythms and varied combinations with ima fingers. Helps enhancing thumb independence.
I recommended those because they are different from regular famous Giuliani style exercises that keep ima only in treble strings or do not demand too much from thumb.
Another nice one is playing each few notes with different RH angle, or in a different position (near bridge, middle region or near arm) for different colors. Keep moving hand all the time. Nice for developing positioning security as well as developing sound variation. Also do the same with varied dynamics.
It's like you're reading my mind Luis.

I often just play the same things that I already know because it's comfortable. I know that I need to push my boundaries. I also tend to not move around to different positions/angles with the right hand. You are right, I need to do this more, not just for expressive purposes but also to stretch my technique.

I think I definitely need a more focused regiment. I'll take a look at Kitharologus as well.

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:58 pm

Adam wrote:
Follow Kjetil's advice.…
The cheapest I can find the book is $36 at SBM. Even so, I am intrigued and might just pull the trigger.
I had to pay more (because I needed shipped to Israel), but it came very quickly (from SBM). The book has already more than paid for itself, and I have not yet finished the chapter on the left hand (meaning I have worked through 30 pages out of 240).
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:24 pm

Adam wrote:
Yisrael van Handel wrote: Follow Kjetil's advice.…
I had to pay more (because I needed shipped to Israel), but it came very quickly (from SBM). The book has already more than paid for itself, and I have not yet finished the chapter on the left hand (meaning I have worked through 30 pages out of 240).
It's actually backordered. Might be OOP.

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:02 pm

Adam wrote:
Adam wrote:
… Might be OOP.
Already? It just appeared.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:07 pm

It's not OOP, was just backordered. I just got my copy from SBM. It's a beast of a book. Thanks for the recommendation. I can already tell it's going to take years to work through.

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:04 pm

Adam wrote:… I just got my copy from SBM. It's a beast of a book. Thanks for the recommendation. I can already tell it's going to take years to work through.
I have had dramatic results within two months. Read the Introduction, Chapter I and Chapter III. Only then start on Chapter II. If you figure out how to get your finger into tack-hammer shape, let me know.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”