Private Lessons in Chicago?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
tdever

Private Lessons in Chicago?

Post by tdever » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:08 pm

Hello,

After several years of occasional playing, I recently started seriously taking up guitar again. I've been self taught for about 12 years now, and I'd like to pursue private lessons in the Chicago area. The Old Town School of Folk Music seems to be the biggest player in the city, but it doesn't look like they have a major focus on classical/flamenco guitar. Can anyone recommend a good private lesson teacher in Chicago?

Depending on your criteria, I would say I am an intermediate - advanced player, but I recognize that I need some serious improvement and focus in several areas:

Sheet Music - I can read it well, but unfortunately it has not been a major part of my guitar studies. I find it difficult to motivate myself to get "back to the basics" to learn to sight read guitar sheet music on my own.

Theory - My knowledge of music theory is functional, but I'd like to learn more about chords, scales, modes etc.

Sloppy Picados - I can only assume years of self-teaching has given me some bad habits. I'd really like to tighten up my technique.

I would also prefer someone who is proficient in both the classical and flamenco styles. Some jazz experience is a plus. Ideally, this would also cost zero dollars, but I am willing to spend some money :D

Thanks in advance!
-Tim

nightflight

Re: Private Lessons in Chicago?

Post by nightflight » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:33 am

I would recommend that you check with local colleges/universities and see who is teaching classical guitar for their music programs. Or, you could try contacting the Chicago Classical Guitar Society, Chicago School of Music, or try doing a google search. I'm sorry I don't know of specific teachers to recommend, but the above should get you started.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”