Rest stroke vs. Free stroke

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
lynnrhorst

Rest stroke vs. Free stroke

Postby lynnrhorst » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:27 am

I am new CG player and I'm curious how long shold I play using a rest stroke before I start playing with a free stroke. I'm wondering this because in the Simon Powis introductory info he says he teaches a free stroke immediately because he finds that bad habits develop using the rest stroke.

lagartija

Re: Rest stroke vs. Free stroke

Postby lagartija » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:56 am

Hello lynnrhorst, Welcome to Delcamp!
I think opinions among teachers differ on whether it is best to start with free stroke or rest stroke. My first teacher started me with rest stroke. I don't think it has done any lasting damage or instilled any bad habits (according to my second teacher). By the time I started with my second teacher, I was able to use either stroke easily. My first pieces and etudes used rest stroke, but some of my early repertoire pieces were by Sanz and for those I used free stroke. By the end of my first year I was comfortable using either and both as needed in a piece.
I'm sure the teachers on the forum will give you their opinions and why they have them. ;-)
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Andrew Fryer

Postby Andrew Fryer » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:09 am

With all instruments one needs to develop good tone production, and the rest stroke is the best way to learn that on the guitar.
But since the free stroke is harder, it needs separate practice. I'm lazy - I rely on the rest stroke and I don't play fast pieces!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Adrian Allan

Postby Adrian Allan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:12 am

It is fine to start to play simple melody lines with a rest stroke and also scales.

However, it is worth noting that in terms of modern playing technique, rest stroke is hardly ever used, and does not need to ever be used.

vesa

Postby vesa » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:24 am

Hi lynnrhorst!
Good results have been reached by starting both ways. It depends on what works for the teacher. The goal is the same but the means to get there differ.
Powis commentary is narrow-minded nonsense, it only tells that starting apoyando does not work(in his methodic) for him and nothing else.
If you can play melodies on 1.,2., and 3. strings with ease and maybe together with basses it is time to move on and start to play free stroke too.
Vesa Kuokkanen

David Rubio ws. E. B. Jones 1979
Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:36 am

This thread could go on for a while. My one advice: don't start learning guitar by playing artificial harmonics from the outset i.e. in place of free or rest stroke.
Historicalguitars.

vesa

Postby vesa » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:43 am

Michael.N. wrote: My one advice: don't start learning guitar by playing artificial harmonics from the outset i.e. in place of free or rest stroke.

Don't start with Bartok pizzicati either,
even it often sounds so in the beginning(as they came out quite naturally). :D
Vesa Kuokkanen

David Rubio ws. E. B. Jones 1979
Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Bill B

Postby Bill B » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:28 am

I start the student with rest stroke. Then 5 minutes later we do free stroke.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:34 am

That sounds like a good plan.
Historicalguitars.

BugDog

Postby BugDog » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Yeah, I agree. You ought to learn both. I find them to be complimentary. Don't practice one and then the other, practice them together. That's how you use them when playing.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

mmapag

Postby mmapag » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:18 pm

A complete skill set involves both. So why not learn both from the begining. I am not in agreement with those who say all you need is freestroke. Rest stroke is vary useful to bring melody forward and create tone color in ways that freestroke just cannot.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

Bobbio84

Postby Bobbio84 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:28 am

Adrian Allan wrote:However, it is worth noting that in terms of modern playing technique, rest stroke is hardly ever used, and does not need to ever be used.

I don't really think about it anymore, but I just went over my current répertoire in my head and found that I use rest stroke very seldom. Even the times I do use it, I could probably get away with free stroke.

Having said that, I remember practicing countless exercises when I was first introduced to rest strokes. (My playing technique was fully free stroke for years). Thinking how much I use it now, was it a waste of time, all those exercises? I'm happy with my rest stroke, but it just seems like I over-practiced it.
Alhambra 3C (nylon)
Yamaha SLG200N (nylon-electric)
Washburn D42SCE (steel)
Fender Piha'eu (ukulele)

celestemcc

Postby celestemcc » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:09 pm

Why IS contemporary playing all rest-stroke? I spent plenty of years cultivating both, and still do. It's another color in the tonal palette; the question is, why NOT use rest stroke?

Is it like the ability to roll a kayak? You may never need to do it, because there are other techniques to use when paddling dangerous waters... but if you can do it, it's an especially useful skill. Rest stroke is rolling the kayak... but one helluva lot easier to learn. :wink:
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Adrian Allan

Postby Adrian Allan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:17 pm

celestemcc wrote:Why IS contemporary playing all rest-stroke? I spent plenty of years cultivating both, and still do. It's another color in the tonal palette; the question is, why NOT use rest stroke?

Is it like the ability to roll a kayak? You may never need to do it, because there are other techniques to use when paddling dangerous waters... but if you can do it, it's an especially useful skill. Rest stroke is rolling the kayak... but one helluva lot easier to learn. :wink:

I think you mean, why is all contemporary playing free stroke?

1. Because all of the guitar repertoire can be played without a single rest stroke
2. Rest stroke is stylistically wrong in anything before the Romantic period
3. In the hands of a less experienced player, it can stand out too much above the free strokes, which is the default way of playing the guitar
4. Arguably the man with the most perfect technique on the planet hardly ever uses it - John Williams

Four good reasons.

Gary Macleod

Postby Gary Macleod » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:37 pm

I think you should play both, Rodrigo Aranjuez cries out for it as does lots of Spanish repertoire, I did this video on rest stroke for aranjuez scales etc.

https://youtu.be/NTB0PBlzxB0

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”