Tatyana's Lagrima

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Tatyana's Lagrima

Postby Rick Beauregard » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:43 am

Ok, I suspect many of you will have opinions on this performance, since many of you have played this popular piece sometime during your classical guitar journey.

What do you think of Tayana's interpretation of Lagrima?

Youtube
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Postby MessyTendon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:13 am

I think her playing is fine. But that guitar stinks to the heavens of Nomex...I call it spitting sibilance...Nasty, nasty sound. Give me warmth over brightness.

Adam

Postby Adam » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:46 am

I think it's good. Sounds like you're fishing for criticism. It's a simple beginner piece so over-analyzing some pro's performance seems like a rather redundant exercise.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:00 am

I like it.

It is not, however, a simple beginners piece. It is typically around Grade 5 on examination grades, which makes it firmly intermediate.

Peter

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:04 am

I think that it's a really good version. She brings a lot of urgency and passion to the piece. And she moderates that passion in the final repetition of the main theme, as if it had been expressed and spent somewhat before. And she brings a lot of variety to all of the repeated parts. What's not to like? I've heard other pros play this not as well.

Adam, I suppose there's nothing beautiful and expressive in easier pieces? Ansel Adams' photos are turned into post cards. No art in Adams' photography?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Adam

Postby Adam » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:48 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:Adam, I suppose there's nothing beautiful and expressive in easier pieces? Ansel Adams' photos are turned into post cards. No art in Adams' photography?

Not sure why you would attempt to put such ridiculous words in my mouth. Speak for yourself. But go ahead, analyze away on a routine pro performance of the most-played song in the history of the instrument.

Adam

Postby Adam » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:52 am

petermc61 wrote:I like it.

It is not, however, a simple beginners piece. It is typically around Grade 5 on examination grades, which makes it firmly intermediate.

Peter

I'm not that familiar with exam grades, but it's something I'm starting to look into. I would have thought it more like grade 3. It does move up and down the neck a lot, so it's a challenge from a site reading/fingering perspective if played from a score. But with tabs, any somewhat accomplished player could have it sounding decent in a couple weeks. Once memorized, it flows pretty smoothly. Adelita, I think, it's quite a bit harder, feels more like grade 5 to me. You probably know better than me though.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:21 am

Fine; you find her performance routine. I disagree. I think she avoids making it routine. She shows its character. That's why I like her performance.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Whiteagle

Postby Whiteagle » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:20 am

Adam wrote:
petermc61 wrote:I like it.

Peter

I'm not that familiar with exam grades, but it's something I'm starting to look into. I would have thought it more like grade 3. It does move up and down the neck a lot, so it's a challenge from a site reading/fingering perspective if played from a score. But with tabs, any somewhat accomplished player could have it sounding decent in a couple weeks. Once memorized, it flows pretty smoothly. Adelita, I think, it's quite a bit harder, feels more like grade 5 to me. You probably know better than me though.

In Australia it is listed as a grade 6 piece in the australian music examination board syllabus. Adelita is grade 7. I have seen it played by professionals as an encore.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:01 am

Adam wrote:I'm not that familiar with exam grades, but it's something I'm starting to look into. I would have thought it more like grade 3. It does move up and down the neck a lot, so it's a challenge from a site reading/fingering perspective if played from a score. But with tabs, any somewhat accomplished player could have it sounding decent in a couple weeks.

Good example of why grading of pieces is very difficult - perceptions of difficulty vary and it takes a very great deal of perspective, and experience of many learners progressing through various parts of repertoire. Peter is right though, this is neither a beginner's piece nor grade 3 on any major syllabus. The hard bit is the various barrés, from my students' point of view (and everybody does this one at the relevant time) - the beginning is deceptively easy, as so often! Btw citing tablature in a grade context is problematic - of course, a learner could use it to help locate fingerboard positions, but one who has to use that resource to help probably isn't actually that grade.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

igycrctl

Postby igycrctl » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:27 am

Can we please stop talking about her ability to play and start talking about her physical appearance?

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:56 am

I happen to love playing Lagrima. I don't happen to like her rendition because it doesn't sound like how I play it. :D

Seriously though, her choice of hand position is questionable. Playing so near the bridge for such a delicate piece of music gives a very hard percussive sound which isn't fitting in the slightest.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:33 am

markodarko wrote:Seriously though, her choice of hand position is questionable. Playing so near the bridge for such a delicate piece of music gives a very hard percussive sound which isn't fitting in the slightest.

Hi Mark, heard Bream play this? It makes her choice of tone colour sound positively sumptuous! :D

Peter

David_Norton

Postby David_Norton » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:49 am

Oh dear. Where to even begin? "If you can't say anything nice...."

I really dislike this one. But this is an unfair statement: had I not known who was playing, I may have enjoyed it. But I don't like any of her videos, in particular those with her coquettish head-bobbing and coyly-cutsy shy smiling. Ugh.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:55 am

David_Norton wrote:Oh dear. Where to even begin? "If you can't say anything nice...."

I really dislike this one. But this is an unfair statement: had I not known who was playing, I may have enjoyed it. But I don't like any of her videos, in particular those with her coquettish head-bobbing and coyly-cutsy shy smiling. Ugh.

Gee, you're a tough critic David. Maybe you'd like her cake baking videos more.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”