Tatyana's Lagrima

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Rasqeo

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Postby Rasqeo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:26 pm

markodarko wrote:
Rasqeo wrote:This has to be in the running for most pointless thread ever...

I don't see why discussing a player's interpretation is pointless. The opposite I'd say is true. Much to learn from others' playing - whether it's played well or not, wouldn't you say?

It's not so much the discussion of interpretation, more the manner in which it's being conducted by some.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:16 pm

David_Norton wrote:... But I don't like any of her videos, in particular those with her coquettish head-bobbing and coyly-cutsy shy smiling. Ugh.

As some one else pointed out, marketing is the name of the game. Think of Stephen Grapelli - without a constant grin would he ever have become famous?

For what it is worth this is so far my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlrj7mNKuYE - very sad too. (This is shortly before he died of lung cancer.)

Adam

Postby Adam » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:19 pm

Any harsh criticism of the video should be accompanied by a video by the critic as well as an explanation of why their interpretation is better. Otherwise, it rings hollow.

acmost9

Postby acmost9 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:09 pm

I'm not a believer in that, I think you can criticize something without being able to do whatever it might be better yourself.

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:38 pm

Rasqeo wrote:It's not so much the discussion of interpretation, more the manner in which it's being conducted by some.

Oh, are you referring to the comments by some re: her physical appearance? I just tune out of those kind of comments.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Rasqeo

Postby Rasqeo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:44 pm

acmost9 wrote:I'm not a believer in that, I think you can criticize something without being able to do whatever it might be better yourself.

Yes but anyone can criticise anonymously on an internet forum. It doesn't count for very much.

Kenbobpdx

Postby Kenbobpdx » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:54 pm

Adam wrote:Any harsh criticism of the video should be accompanied by a video by the critic as well as an explanation of why their interpretation is better. Otherwise, it rings hollow.

I may have offered one of the harsher critiques of the video in question. While I could record myself and post it I am not a professional player. Even though I have played for many years I am not at her caliber and I readily admit that. It is a bit absurd that one demonstrate some equivalent professional level of ability before critiquing a piece played by a seasoned pro. Some of us are more proficient on other instruments than the guitar or have many years of other musical study under our belts that inform our opinions. Some simply have opinions based on gut level reactions.

Tatyana Ryzhkova is a highly regarded performer with serious chops. That is why I was harsher about the performance. I generally like her playing and would readily go see her in concert. That I have issues with this performance is simply that. And I tried to state why I found it off putting. The OP asked for opinions on the performance. Some of us have done that. And that is absolutely OK to do without somehow proving oneself before posting an opinion.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

Lawler

Postby Lawler » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:56 pm

I think if Tarrega was alive he'd watch this vid over and over. Then he'd write a new piece titled, "Tatyana".

I love Lagrima. I always enjoy hearing it played when it's done with sensitivity. And it's done with sensitivity here.

Adam

Postby Adam » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:00 pm

Lawler wrote:I think if Tarrega was alive he'd watch this vid over and over. Then he'd write a new piece titled, "Tatyana".

I love Lagrima. I always enjoy hearing it played when it's done with sensitivity. And it's done with sensitivity here.

This. Thank you.

Adam

Postby Adam » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:08 pm

Kenbobpdx wrote:I may have offered one of the harsher critiques of the video in question. While I could record myself and post it I am not a professional player. Even though I have played for many years I am not at her caliber and I readily admit that. It is a bit absurd that one demonstrate some equivalent professional level of ability before critiquing a piece played by a seasoned pro. Some of us are more proficient on other instruments than the guitar or have many years of other musical study under our belts that inform our opinions. Some simply have opinions based on gut level reactions.

Tatyana Ryzhkova is a highly regarded performer with serious chops. That is why I was harsher about the performance. I generally like her playing and would readily go see her in concert. That I have issues with this performance is simply that. And I tried to state why I found it off putting. The OP asked for opinions on the performance. Some of us have done that. And that is absolutely OK to do without somehow proving oneself before posting an opinion.

The OP was obviously trolling for criticism of Tatyana, and you took the bait.

PS. I think Picasso's painting The Blue Room is bad. Way too much blue. And why is the woman all hunched over? Yuck. Although I'm not as good a painter as Picasso, I have done some painting, and I'm pretty darn good with paper mache. So my opinion is totally valid and very convincing.

astro64

Postby astro64 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:21 pm

Some people like her interpretation, some people don't. Why do you have a problem with that? Sounds more like you are the one who took the bait.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:34 pm

Tatyana's trying to make a living with her guitar. I don't begrudge her. She's not my favorite guitarist by any means but she is accomplished and can play very well indeed in many different styles. I think that she's charming and honest enough to get away with what might otherwise be schmaltzy settings and near gimmicks. Not in this video but in some others.
Last edited by Jeffrey Armbruster on Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:38 pm

With regards to interpretation, I don't understand why people on here can't just accept that some people's opinions may differ from one's own and offer perspectives about the performance instead of feeling the need to defend the artist on some personal level. No one learns anything from that.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:20 pm

Adam wrote:The OP was obviously trolling for criticism of Tatyana, and you took the bait.

I think Rick, the OP, could reasonably take offence at that. I have never seen him come close to that behaviour on this site. It would probably be better not to ascribe motives to people's posts.

If any of the moderators think people are trolling they will act.

ChristianK

Postby ChristianK » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:35 pm

After all these criticical comments i guess I must have really bad taste because I loved it, my favorite interpretation of Lagrima to date.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”