Tatyana's Lagrima

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Paul Janssen

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Post by Paul Janssen » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:50 pm

Personally, I prefer Per Olov Kindgren's version:

Youtube

Having said that, I do like some of Tatyana's performances. I especially like her version of Un Dia de Noviembre.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:38 am

Adam wrote:I honestly don't like the entire premise of this thread. If you wanted to talk about Lagrima interpretation, why not create a thread about that. But creating a thread just to critique one of Tatyana's performance videos seems disrespectful to me. I happen to like her (and her videos) a lot, and I think she is above this.

Related to grading, if Lagrima is grade 6 or 7, then the grades are probably easier than I assumed they are. I've only been playing about 2 months after almost 4 years off, and I can already play Lagrima pretty cleanly (I did use tabs to refresh my memory on fingerings). Just started looking at ABRSM, was thinking about which one I should start with. I was thinking about 3 just to get my feet wet, but I may just jump up to 5. Maybe I'll create a separate thread about that.
Adam, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I was not fishing for negative critique, just asking for opinions from people I respect. And many provided interesting perspectives.

Personally, I liked it. I was wondering though if purists may find it a bit over-interpreted, or rubato'd. And as far as her expressiveness, I get tired of watching pained or bored expression-less performances. After all, it's a performance. So perform. Although this sort of thing can be overdone (e.g. Bruce Springsteen) she is a delight to watch.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:51 am

Mea culpa Rick. You seem like a good dude. Just don't like to see such a nice and earnest young lady get criticized I guess.

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:53 am

petermc61 wrote:
Adam wrote: The OP was obviously trolling for criticism of Tatyana, and you took the bait.
I think Rick, the OP, could reasonably take offence at that. I have never seen him come close to that behaviour on this site. It would probably be better not to ascribe motives to people's posts.

If any of the moderators think people are trolling they will act.
Thank you peterMc61. I'm a student like many of you. I've played this piece for 30 years and heard it played by dozens. We listen and we learn and even copy from others. My question was merely to generate some discussion from other students and some teachers. Critique, maybe, constructive critique. She doesn't need our praise.

As for being in the running for lamest posts suggested by someone, you haven't read many posts. Lighten up man.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:55 am

Adam wrote:Mea culpa Rick. You seem like a good dude. Just don't like to see such a nice and earnest young lady get criticized I guess.
:okok:
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:01 am

I've never personally had a liking for the ever so popular Lagrima. Tatyana's interpretation however I really like for its expressiveness and makes me actually enjoy listening to this song all the way through.

One thing I've learned to appreciate about CG and music in general, is how each player projects a bit of their own personality into how they play a piece. Even if you feel you have a deep understanding of the piece and how the original composer intended for it to sound, your unique way of playing it will always come through. When I hear the old CG masters play the same song, I discover that they all played it differently, and that gives me impression that I don't need to be afraid to take some interpretive liberties when I play a piece.

I think we need not get into bashing different interpretations, but rather learn to appreciate how we are all able to contribute something different and unique to a composition. I may not prefer how a person interprets a piece, but I can certainly learn to enjoy having a glimpse of that person's world through how they play it. How terrible it would be if we were asked to paint a sunset and all ended up painting the exact same thing. I think individuality is one of the things that makes this world quite beautiful.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:47 am

souldier wrote: I think we need not get into bashing different interpretations, but rather learn to appreciate how we are all able to contribute something different and unique to a composition. I may not prefer how a person interprets a piece, but I can certainly learn to enjoy having a glimpse of that person's world through how they play it. How terrible it would be if we were asked to paint a sunset and all ended up painting the exact same thing. I think individuality is one of the things that makes this world quite beautiful.
Yes to that.

mike.janel

Post by mike.janel » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:20 am

I really liked her performance.
It showed me that even a simple piece can be enhanced and become more interesting.
It also caused me to rethink about how to improve my existing repertoire instead of chancing a new piece each time.
Michael
-----------------------------------------------
2013 Amalio Burguet 3M (Cedar)
1989 Yamaha CG 110 (Spruce)

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:21 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:I think that she's charming and honest enough to get away with what might otherwise be schmaltzy settings and near gimmicks. Not in this video but in some others.
Completely agree. She is a gifted guitarist and I admire her playing but profoundly dislike all these "romantic settings" of her clips which have no other purpose than underlining her spectacular appearence. Just marketing. Why can't she just take the guitar and play her piece and that's it.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:24 am

mike.janel wrote:It also caused me to rethink about how to improve my existing repertoire instead of chancing a new piece each time.
I think this is a really good insight. It has inspired me to revisit some old pieces and see how I might breathe some new life into them by focusing on the dynamics.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Taylor 25

Post by Taylor 25 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:26 pm

Initially, I did not fully appreciate Tatyana's interpretation of this piece, because I too felt that it was "over interpreted." But after listening to it carefully a few more times, I have changed since my mind. I think with a title like "Lagrima" (which means tear or tear drop), this song is best played in a way that evokes emotion. And in that sense, I think that Tatyana does a great job of bringing that quality out.

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:32 pm

souldier wrote:
mike.janel wrote:It also caused me to rethink about how to improve my existing repertoire instead of chancing a new piece each time.
I think this is a really good insight. It has inspired me to revisit some old pieces and see how I might breathe some new life into them by focusing on the dynamics.
Exactly the spirit and intent of this post. Not sure why some people went so dark with it. By the way if you haven't seen her trick quartet video of Libertango check it out.

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

omlove

Post by omlove » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:15 pm

Wow, that's a nicely done video! 4 Tatyana(s)

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:37 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:I think that she's charming and honest enough to get away with what might otherwise be schmaltzy settings and near gimmicks. Not in this video but in some others.
Completely agree. She is a gifted guitarist and I admire her playing but profoundly dislike all these "romantic settings" of her clips which have no other purpose than underlining her spectacular appearence. Just marketing. Why can't she just take the guitar and play her piece and that's it.
You should have seen Liona Boyd's settings back when. I think on one of her album covers she was riding nude on a horse.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:44 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
souldier wrote:
Exactly the spirit and intent of this post. Not sure why some people went so dark with it. By the way if you haven't seen her trick quartet video of Libertango check it out.

Youtube
Has anyone noticed that all four of these players bear an amazing resemblance to each other?

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”