Tatyana's Lagrima

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Steve O

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Post by Steve O » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:09 pm

What I found interesting about Tatyana's Libertango quartet is that only one of the players uses a foot stool...

Her version of Lagrima isn't my favourite, but I also find different things to like about every version. For example, I listened to Per Olov Kindgren's version, above. I vacillate between wanting to play the second part dramatic, like Per does and which is fun to play, or gentle and introspective, which I think better fits the "tears" theme of the song. Both are good. I liked Tatyana's little trill during the descending scale. I listened to Bream's version. It wasn't my favourite, but I did like how he was so rigid with the timing of that descending scale, whereas most of the other versions play with time in that sequence... All sound good, and my personal preference to which sounds best changes every time I listen to a different version, perhaps according to my mood that day. (Or perhaps I'm just wishy-washy without enough education and experience to hold a well-formed opinion :D )

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 pm

I really like Per's version. Not quite as over-milked as Tatyana's. Interesting g they both use a harmonic high E on the B section, at least the first time. I have done this too sometimes. Nice touch. I'm also not a fan of so much chord splitting in section A. Once in a while is nice. I like how Per phrases the descending scale melody part in the first section and pauses before the last part of that phrase.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:09 pm

Steve O wrote:Her version of Lagrima isn't my favourite, but I also find different things to like about every version. For example, I listened to Per Olov Kindgren's version, above. I vacillate between wanting to play the second part dramatic, like Per does and which is fun to play, or gentle and introspective, which I think better fits the "tears" theme of the song. Both are good. I liked Tatyana's little trill during the descending scale.
Steve, I too like the strong contrast between the first and second movements which I feel both Per Olov and Tatyana do well. I think it brings out more of the emotion that Tarrega was aiming to convey in this piece. I did like the little "trill" that Tatyana throws in during the descending scale (in fact this is how I play it myself oddly enough).
Rick Beauregard wrote:I really like Per's version. Not quite as over-milked as Tatyana's. Interesting g they both use a harmonic high E on the B section, at least the first time. I have done this too sometimes. Nice touch. I'm also not a fan of so much chord splitting in section A. Once in a while is nice. I like how Per phrases the descending scale melody part in the first section and pauses before the last part of that phrase.
Rick I agree with your comments too. I think Per Olov adds just enough rubato without over-milking it as you say. I also like his tone. I agree with you regarding not splitting the chords too much in the first movement. This can become a bit of a distraction. I get what Tatyana was trying to do by adding something extra to the repeat in the first movement, but for me it was just a little too much.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:15 pm

I liked Ms. Ryzhkova's playing of Lagrima. I play the middle part with a bit of passion and intensity, too -- sort of representative of the anguish that led to the tears in the first place.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:02 am

Ramon Amira wrote:
zupfgeiger wrote:
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:I think that she's charming and honest enough to get away with what might otherwise be schmaltzy settings and near gimmicks. Not in this video but in some others.
Completely agree. She is a gifted guitarist and I admire her playing but profoundly dislike all these "romantic settings" of her clips which have no other purpose than underlining her spectacular appearence. Just marketing. Why can't she just take the guitar and play her piece and that's it.
You should have seen Liona Boyd's settings back when. I think on one of her album covers she was riding nude on a horse.

Ramon
Yes, but it was a successful strategy. As far as I recall from her CV she ended up as concubine of the former Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:36 pm

Since Tatyana's videos are, well . . . videos, not audios, I see nothing wrong with enhancing the music with a setting, provided it is tasteful and does not intrude on or distract from the music.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:Since Tatyana's videos are, well . . . videos, not audios, I see nothing wrong with enhancing the music with a setting, provided it is tasteful and does not intrude on or distract from the music.

Ramon
Good point. I think her videos are presented well and in a professional manner. She clearly has some assistance in that regard. The overall impression given to me is that she takes it seriously and wants to put a good quality product out in front of people. Nothing wrong with that.

andi33x

Post by andi33x » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:35 pm

Adam wrote: I think her videos are presented well and in a professional manner. She clearly has some assistance in that regard. The overall impression given to me is that she takes it seriously and wants to put a good quality product out in front of people. Nothing wrong with that.
I agree with that. I have CDs from Tatyana and the audio alone -without seeing this beautiful woman playing- are also a gem. I remember a holiday trip where I had the CD running over and over again while taking walks on the beach. Her ability to create good music is really immense!

But on the other side I am afraid, the clicks on yt count mainly on her prettiness :(
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:01 pm

andi33x wrote: But on the other side I am afraid, the clicks on yt count mainly on her prettiness :(
I think saying "mainly" is putting it too strongly, but it certainly doesn't hurt her popularity.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:06 pm

I can't believe that a thread about a simple piece has lasted so long.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Mike Gover

Post by Mike Gover » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:08 am

Setting aside the visual aspect.
Since you asked -
> significant liberties with the rhythm - very Romantic interpretation- consistent with the composer and period it was written
> a lot of what my teacher would call "pah-dunking" -an annoying delay between bass and melody notes written as simultaneous on the score. I can handle a little of this but to my ear she really overdoes it.

Just my observations- your results may vary......

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:34 am

Pah-dunking! That's the term for it. I agree completely
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Two (somewhat) related comments about Mizz Ryzhkova:

(1) I just found a video titled "A. Vlassenkov The Stream, performed by Tatyana Ryzhkova". Variations on a Belorussian folk song. I have no previous knowledge of this composition, and no baseline to compare it against. From what I see and hear, it's a fine piece, she does a very commendable job with it.

(2) Last night, SoloDuo performed here in Salt Lake City. As usual, I was working the ticket desk. An older man, who is a well-established season ticket holder, came up and asked "do you take requests for artists for coming performances??" I said we are always open to suggestions. "There's a Russian or Polish gal on YouTube, Tata Ricehoff or something like that. I'd sure love to be able to see her in person. Imagine, a girl with the name of Tata!" And he said this with a creepy leering look to his face.

Nuff said.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:29 am

Thank goodness she's not blond.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:13 pm

Imagine, a girl with the name of Tata!" And he said this with a creepy leering look to his face.
:-|
Oy! :roll:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”