Tatyana's Lagrima

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
User avatar
Sharon Vizcaino
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:40 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:57 pm

David_Norton wrote:Oh dear. Where to even begin? "If you can't say anything nice...."

I really dislike this one. But this is an unfair statement: had I not known who was playing, I may have enjoyed it. But I don't like any of her videos, in particular those with her coquettish head-bobbing and coyly-cutsy shy smiling. Ugh.
I don't know, I personally admire her ability to somehow smile non-stop for minutes. I don't think I smile that much in a week. But then no one has ever called me the life and soul of every party.

In terms of the music, I'm ok with it. A little too dramatic for my liking. I don't particularly like this piece to begin with, but if I had to listen to it, I'd prefer something not as, I don't know, adorned? From a quick YouTube search, I enjoyed Bream much better.
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

User avatar
Larry McDonald
Teacher
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:33 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Wi USA

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Post by Larry McDonald » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:00 am

Did you ever go to a classical guitar concert and hear this comment in the lobby afterwards?

"He was a pretty good technician, but he played with too much emotion."

Me neither.

Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar Instructor
Royal Conservatory Advanced Theory Instructor

Ramon Amira
Teacher
Posts: 2903
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:44 am
Location: New York City

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:07 pm

Larry McDonald wrote:Did you ever go to a classical guitar concert and hear this comment in the lobby afterwards?

"He was a pretty good technician, but he played with too much emotion."

Me neither.

Lare
:D

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

User avatar
jdart3000
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:48 pm
Location: North Florida, USA

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Post by jdart3000 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:42 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
souldier wrote:
mike.janel wrote:It also caused me to rethink about how to improve my existing repertoire instead of chancing a new piece each time.
I think this is a really good insight. It has inspired me to revisit some old pieces and see how I might breathe some new life into them by focusing on the dynamics.
Exactly the spirit and intent of this post. Not sure why some people went so dark with it. By the way if you haven't seen her trick quartet video of Libertango check it out.

Youtube
I would think that it is quite a technical trick to synchronize with yourself (where to look at the other player, timing, etc). I think Tatyana clearly understands how to make herself stand out from the crowd and uses her physical appearance to help it along. She's a very able and expressive player, but also knows how to "market' her skills & attributes to push it to the next level. We "ordinary-looking" guys can't match her there. I know . . . I've tried flipping my hair and it just doesn't work! :lol: 8) :D
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

2012 German Vazquez Rubio Estudio - Spruce
1979 Sakurai Kohno No. 10 - Cedar
2006 Alhambra 4P - Spruce

Adam
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:51 pm

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Post by Adam » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:23 pm

That Libertango quartet is awesome.

User avatar
mike.janel
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:55 pm
Location: Israel

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Post by mike.janel » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:49 pm

I actually prefere not to look at her playing and smiling and bobbing her head. It just distracts me.
If I just listen, I hear wonderfull, technically polished, yet expressive playing.
Marketing is fine. If you have got it, use it.
On that side, she looks like a facinating woman.
Michael
-----------------------------------------------
2013 Amalio Burguet 3M (Cedar)
1989 Yamaha CG 110 (Spruce)

User avatar
AndreiKrylov
Posts: 1696
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico, Portugal, Spain

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:34 pm

David_Norton wrote:Oh dear. Where to even begin? "If you can't say anything nice...."

I really dislike this one. But this is an unfair statement: had I not known who was playing, I may have enjoyed it. But I don't like any of her videos, in particular those with her coquettish head-bobbing and coyly-cutsy shy smiling. Ugh.
listening it is OK, every player could do another interpretation of this piece, and it is her's,
but to watch this video? ...sorry I can't... :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 987
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Yes, Tatyana is very beautiful. I wonder if she feels that she has to be twice as good a player to be taken seriously? It seems that some people think she is riding on her looks. I don't think so. I think that she is one of the best, as far as her playing goes.

The fact that she is beautiful...well, would you rather have her be unattractive? It wouldn't make any difference to me. I'd still listen to her. To me she is just the whole package. She has star appeal, with her good looks and her chops. What's wrong with that?

I wish I could be as good a player as Tatyana. Her Capricho Arabe just melts me. She doesn't play it too fast...she gives it a little room to breathe. A very sensual interpretation. And I love her Lagrima.

Mr Kite

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Post by Mr Kite » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:53 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:listening it is OK, every player could do another interpretation of this piece, and it is her's,
but to watch this video? ...sorry I can't... :)
Couldn't agree more.
Laudiesdad69 wrote:Yes, Tatyana is very beautiful. I wonder if she feels that she has to be twice as good a player to be taken seriously? It seems that some people think she is riding on her looks. I don't think so. I think that she is one of the best, as far as her playing goes.

The fact that she is beautiful...well, would you rather have her be unattractive? It wouldn't make any difference to me. I'd still listen to her. To me she is just the whole package. She has star appeal, with her good looks and her chops. What's wrong with that?

I wish I could be as good a player as Tatyana. Her Capricho Arabe just melts me. She doesn't play it too fast...she gives it a little room to breathe. A very sensual interpretation. And I love her Lagrima.
Forgive me, but what is between the lines here seems to be at war with your actual words. I bet you'd never have said that Julian Bream melts you or described his interpretation as sensual!

Not that'd I'd be getting out my gavel. I have a hard time separating my view that say Zhang Ziyi is a very talented actress from my desire to but for some reason, just speaking for myself, the same thing doesn't happen with musicians.

Anyway, for better or worse I think CG is just too hard, and CG performances are too far removed from shows, for anyone to ride on their looks much.

User avatar
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:23 am
Location: Blaine, WA

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:33 pm

Taking the innuendo and Tatyana's obvious beauty out of the equation, I love how Tatyana feels the music. She is a picture of serenity and grace. Makes playing look effortless without making it too maudlin at least in my view. Raphael's Smits playing the Chaconne eyes closed like in a dream state is another performance I love. Something to emulate I think. Segovia wasn't easy on the eyes but at least he looked in control. I'm sorry but watching Bream gives me a heart attack. His pained expressions are too Springsteen for my tastes. I know this isn't about the "music" but IS about performance. It matters IMHO.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 14 guests