Beginner to Classical Guitar - Where to Start with Sheet Music on Forum?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
spanishguitarmusic

Beginner to Classical Guitar - Where to Start with Sheet Music on Forum?

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:11 am

This forum is so great with so much sheet music available. As a beginner to classical guitar, I was wondering where a beginner should start? Should a beginner start with Mr. Delcamp's Level of pieces or with something else? I don’t really want to run out and purchase method books or other sheet music, when there is so much music available on this forum. I want to start learning easy exercises and pieces and slowly progress from there, but I want to use the material available right here on the forums. I can already see a lot of pieces that I would like to learn from the available sheet music available on the forum, but they are difficult for a newbie. Any suggestions and help on where to start learning the pieces on this forum would be greatly appreciated! :merci:

Lovemyguitar

Re: Beginner to Classical Guitar - Where to Start with Sheet Music on Forum?

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:24 am

A beginner should start with a teacher. A method book is essential if you don't have a teacher. Sheet music is irrelevant if you don't know how to play/read music, and don't have someone/something to guide you. When you are ready for sheet music, why not start at Level 1?

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:52 pm

D01

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:57 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:A beginner should start with a teacher. A method book is essential if you don't have a teacher. Sheet music is irrelevant if you don't know how to play/read music, and don't have someone/something to guide you. When you are ready for sheet music, why not start at Level 1?
:merci: for your comment! I will definitely get method book and start at Level 1.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:58 pm

Adam wrote:D01
:merci: for you comment! I will start at D01.

eadiaz

Post by eadiaz » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:26 pm

I would agree that getting a teacher is critical for a beginner. The teacher can provide guidance about posture, technique, etc. that is hard to get from a book or sheet music. As far as sources of sheet music, D01 is a nice, varied compilation of beginner music. I also like Sagreras Primeras Lecciones, which has very musical, short progressive pieces. Both are on this site.

However, getting a good teacher is critical for beginner and can't be stressed enough.
-------------
"I love the guitar for its harmony; it is my constant companion in all my travels." -- N. Paganini

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:14 am

spanishguitarmusic wrote:This forum is so great with so much sheet music available. As a beginner to classical guitar, I was wondering where a beginner should start? Should a beginner start with Mr. Delcamp's Level of pieces or with something else? I don’t really want to run out and purchase method books or other sheet music, when there is so much music available on this forum. I want to start learning easy exercises and pieces and slowly progress from there, but I want to use the material available right here on the forums. I can already see a lot of pieces that I would like to learn from the available sheet music available on the forum, but they are difficult for a newbie. Any suggestions and help on where to start learning the pieces on this forum would be greatly appreciated! :merci:
Look at the top of the first page when you open the forum an in fine print it says "free sheet music", etc.
Follow that to "methods" ond open that heading. Go to the very bottom of the page and you will find

http://www.delcamp.net/pdf/pascual_roch ... lume_1.pdf

.... Well I tried to cut and paste and ended up giving the link... a few minutes ago I tried to give a link and had to cut and paste...

Any way, there is much more in that section but I like Tárrega's musicality and I like the way Roch describes things.

Take a look.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:14 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:
spanishguitarmusic wrote:This forum is so great with so much sheet music available. As a beginner to classical guitar, I was wondering where a beginner should start? Should a beginner start with Mr. Delcamp's Level of pieces or with something else? I don’t really want to run out and purchase method books or other sheet music, when there is so much music available on this forum. I want to start learning easy exercises and pieces and slowly progress from there, but I want to use the material available right here on the forums. I can already see a lot of pieces that I would like to learn from the available sheet music available on the forum, but they are difficult for a newbie. Any suggestions and help on where to start learning the pieces on this forum would be greatly appreciated! :merci:
Look at the top of the first page when you open the forum an in fine print it says "free sheet music", etc.
Follow that to "methods" ond open that heading. Go to the very bottom of the page and you will find

http://www.delcamp.net/pdf/pascual_roch ... lume_1.pdf

.... Well I tried to cut and paste and ended up giving the link... a few minutes ago I tried to give a link and had to cut and paste...

Any way, there is much more in that section but I like Tárrega's musicality and I like the way Roch describes things.

Take a look.
:merci: I looked at the Roch method pdf and they look really good. Thanks!

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:53 am

When i first started i have teacher, he taught me first to read notation and sight reading for 1 or 2 months. I think the book is by Sagregas. He also use Frederick Noad books 1 and 2. He also let me sight read popular songs. So that aside from sight reading i am also learning how to play with emotions.

When it comes to playing popular pieces like Leyenda, Capricho Arabe, Recuerdos, from Villa-Lobos, Barrios. You need a teacher. So if you don't have a teacher. There are beginner piece, from Miguel Llobet, Sor, Carcassi etc.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:33 am

Salvador wrote:When i first started i have teacher, he taught me first to read notation and sight reading for 1 or 2 months. I think the book is by Sagregas. He also use Frederick Noad books 1 and 2. He also let me sight read popular songs. So that aside from sight reading i am also learning how to play with emotions.

When it comes to playing popular pieces like Leyenda, Capricho Arabe, Recuerdos, from Villa-Lobos, Barrios. You need a teacher. So if you don't have a teacher. There are beginner piece, from Miguel Llobet, Sor, Carcassi etc.
:merci: for the information and advice!

abq767

Post by abq767 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:31 pm

Question from a semi-beginner...are the NOAD books worthwhile?

Thanks

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:12 pm

I have found Noad's "Solo guitar playing vol. 1" quite easy to understand. The book doesn't progress too fast and you get to play some real music early enough. He explains the technique well.

Thomas Drummond
Student of the online lessons
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada; In a room somewhere, with his guitar.

Post by Thomas Drummond » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:29 am

just start with D01.
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Epiphone les paul std gold top 2015
Yamaha FX370C
And my first guitar.. the one that started it all:
Fender bullet-strat 2007 - modified fully into MIM strat in 2014.

minorkey

Post by minorkey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:47 pm

@Luuttauja -- I can only speak to vol 1 of Noad's book, but I think it's a very good beginners method book. I find the explanations to be good -- relatively short, clear, and useful. I like the practice pieces--sound very nice. I don't have the CD, but in this age of YouTube, it's fairly easy to find videos of the main pieces (e.g. "Spanish Study) so I can see and hear how they're supposed to be played. It's my main "textbook," supplemented by easy repertoire.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:28 am

Start here. viewforum.php?f=41

Participate in the online lessons and you get encouragement and critique from your fellow students, graded repertoire and exercises for technique from beginner to 12th year. The monthly lessons put you on a program to keep you moving forward. You can progress at your own pace. By all means get a live teacher, if you can. But this is a nice alternative between that and self guided from a book, and is kind of the mission of this forum I believe.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”