Best books to learn to read music

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
cgscott

Best books to learn to read music

Post by cgscott » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi all, so I want to start learning to read music, I have zero previous experience doing so and I was just wondering what books are recommended for a complete beginner?

Thankyou

Scott

tormodg

Re: Best books to learn to read music

Post by tormodg » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Get a teacher!

Otherwise, a lot of beginner guitar books have sections on reading notes. A quick search on Amazon suggested "Music reading for guitar". Check it out and see if any other books look interesting.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

2handband

Post by 2handband » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:33 pm

I learned out of Noad's Solo Guitar Playing. Almost any modern day beginner's level classical guitar method will have beginner's level sight reading examples.

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:59 pm

One excellent book for beginners with step by step explanations and illustrations including a CD is one published in 2010 by writer, teacher, and musician Rod Fogg This 2010 edition was published by Metro Books of New York by arrangement with Outline Press.
If you want to Learn Music this book is my preference over others that limit their teaching to the treble clef used by guitar players.
It teaches about musical notation and the basic principles of music theory in a very simple way to understand it -
Very accurate explanation for rhythm, scales, pitch to keys, intervals,chords and all the signs and symbols that may be found in a musical piece.
The published Title is ... "how to read music" .It will make an often-usable addition to any music library.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:17 pm

If you want to combine reading music with playing the guitar I would suggest getting Aaron Shearer's Guitar Technique book 1(red and black cover) It's basic enough that you can learn the notes easily and start playing those notes on the guitar. When you get that under you belt you can move on.
Hauser III 2014!

GJW

Post by GJW » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:31 pm

2handband wrote:I learned out of Noad's Solo Guitar Playing.
Me too... :)
Yamaha CG120, Takamine EC132SC, Perl Gold lute style classical
2 x Westone electrics
2 x Fender F series 6 string (steel), Fender F series 12 string
Yamaha Bass
2 x Sitar (from India/Pakistan)
Kokle (from Latvia), Geierleyer (from Germany) and a Ukulele

2handband

Post by 2handband » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:10 pm

GJW wrote:
2handband wrote:I learned out of Noad's Solo Guitar Playing.
Me too... :)
Actually the whole REASON I jumped into SGP at first was to learn sight-reading... I bought the book without really understanding what it contained, almost returned it, and then said oh what the hell I might as well use it to learn to sight read. I didn't set out to learn CG; it just kinda happened.

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:35 pm

There's a simple book called Position Studies for Guitar by Roger Filiberto. Single line melodies, designed around the keys that make the most sense in a given position. For even more basics, the Shearer recommendation is a good one.

Once you have that down, I find taking a sheet out of a Fake Book and playing the melody an octave higher than written gives a very good reinforcement.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:35 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:There's a simple book called Position Studies for Guitar by Roger Filiberto. Single line melodies, designed around the keys that make the most sense in a given position. For even more basics, the Shearer recommendation is a good one.

Once you have that down, I find taking a sheet out of a Fake Book and playing the melody an octave higher than written gives a very good reinforcement.
Hello Steve: I am familiar with that volume and another one published by Mel Bay "Twenty Studies in Fixed Positions for Classical Guitar"
Their are good volumes but the problem is that it does not teaches How to Read Music. It assumes that the student already can sight read the musical staff. Yo need to start with the basics and the Shearer volume is very good at that.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:17 am

You can also look at the Charles Duncan method books for classical guitar. I currently have book number 3 and I like it very much. I want to get books 1 and 2 as well. :merci:

Anastas

Post by Anastas » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:27 pm

It's a good idea also to read and play as much music as you can. Every book for beginner is welcome. I believe for improving your reading skills it is better to read/play pieces under your technical level.
So, play as much easy pieces as you can/ The Iceland Guitar School is very useful source for free materials for CG.

Victor Seal

Post by Victor Seal » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:14 am

I would suggest finding a good instructor that will guide you through the Mel Bay books.

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:06 am

The best for me is, Las Primeras Lecciones de Guitarra by Julio Sagreras. It's in this Forum actually. You can download it for free. It's very easy to use. It's also the book my teacher use to his students many years ago.

Aucaman

Post by Aucaman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:24 am

Salvador wrote:The best for me is, Las Primeras Lecciones de Guitarra by Julio Sagreras. It's in this Forum actually. You can download it for free. It's very easy to use. It's also the book my teacher use to his students many years ago.
That's also the one my teacher used to get me started. Before Sagreras, a music score looked like gibberish to me.
Don't forget this is readily available right here! :D

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:10 am

Aucaman wrote:
Salvador wrote:The best for me is, Las Primeras Lecciones de Guitarra by Julio Sagreras. It's in this Forum actually. You can download it for free. It's very easy to use. It's also the book my teacher use to his students many years ago.
That's also the one my teacher used to get me started. Before Sagreras, a music score looked like gibberish to me.
Don't forget this is readily available right here! :D
Yes, it brings me lots of memories lol. It's nice to think that we are from different countries but we used the same books.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”