Musicianship

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Pkelcourse

Musicianship

Post by Pkelcourse » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:41 pm

Can someone recommmend a guitar oriented musicianship book? I'm currently just explaining elements as they arise from student repertoire. Thank you

MarcusStrand

Re: Musicianship

Post by MarcusStrand » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:27 pm

What do you mean by musicianship?

Robin

Post by Robin » Sun May 07, 2017 4:39 am

Dear Pkelcourse,

I don't believe that musicianship is instrument specific. Musicianship goes beyond a short list of technical skills, dynamics or use of tone color. It rises from the performer's inner understanding of the music and is applied through his/her technical capacity using selected articulation, dynamics, tone color, etc.
I've always thought of musicianship in terms of the application of stylistic and interpretive skill but this article below cites uses singing--and more specifically, the ability to hear the music you play (or sing) before you play it. It may seem a bit off topic in regards to your request but after thinking about it, I think the author is spot on. Our ability to sing the music we play and eventually hear it in our head, forms the basis of our musicianship. It allows the music to be created within us, in our head and heart, before it gets to our fingers.

https://medium.com/@michaelkaulkin/what ... b40031476a

It's something to think about....

Robin
So much music, so little time.

Oboist

Post by Oboist » Sun May 07, 2017 5:07 pm

This is an interesting article, and it makes me wonder what the author's primary instrument is. I do think musicianship can be instrument specific; after all, the ability to sing or hear the music is very different from having the skills to produce the desired outcome. I'd also be interested to know if there is a recommended book specifically addressing guitar musicianship.

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Sun May 07, 2017 6:22 pm

Perhaps "musicality" is a better term. Try "what to listen for in music" by Aaron Copland.

Robin

Post by Robin » Mon May 15, 2017 3:28 am

Martha Master's book, Reaching the Next Level is a guitar-specific book that addresses musicianship.

Robin
So much music, so little time.

Rick Yzaguirre

Post by Rick Yzaguirre » Thu May 18, 2017 8:03 am

Isn't musicianship something shared by most musicians ... In the same way sportsmanship is something shared by most athletes? I figure its a common thread that has more to do with the love and respect for music, as well as understanding of theory like solfege, rhythm, and sight reading etc.

ddray

Post by ddray » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:25 pm

guitareleven

Post by guitareleven » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:01 pm

As indicated by suggestions above, there are guitar-specific volumes that are recommendable, but I think it is also critical to address this in its general, rather than instrument-specific sense. Just like music theory, one of the best things you can do is study the fundamentals that simply pertain basically and purely to music- for instance, try Hindemith's {i} Elementary Training for Musicans[/i], along with any texts you may have in basic harmony and counterpoint, and create your own guitar-specific applications. It's very nice and convenient to have had some author work out such for you, but that only provides another person's perspective, who may be well informed, but you will own it more when you do some of that yourself.

Guitar Slim Jr.

Post by Guitar Slim Jr. » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:01 pm

kloeten wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 6:22 pm
Perhaps "musicality" is a better term. Try "what to listen for in music" by Aaron Copland.
Exactly the right term, I think.

"Musicianship", at least as the term is used in music schools, refers to concrete skills such as sight reading, sight singing, ear training and harmony knowledge. It's basically how well you're trained as a formal musician.

I suppose you could call musicality a subset of musicianship, but I think that's an arguable proposition. Regardless, it's a much more subjective area. For today's classical musician, learning something about historical styles and historical performance practices is very important, and might be a good place to start exploring how to approach and teach musicality and interpretation in general. I'm no scholar in this area, but I know some here who are. Any suggested reading on HIP? Not oriented toward guitar or lute techniques, but more about phrasings, articulations, tempos, timbres, that sort of thing...

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:38 am

Yes, P . . . it's called the Book of Life. Listen to great players in all genres . . . a book will not give you what you want . . . if you want to know about "musicianship," you must listen to great players. Playing again, Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:11 am

Musicianship has nothing to do with the guitar. It has to do with your holistic understanding and interpretation of the music. The only book that I recall every seeing that deals with musicianship for guitarists is METODOLOGÌA DE ESTUDIO PARA LA EJECUCIÒN E INTERPRETACIÒN DE LA GUITARRA CLÀSICA by MARIO ALBERTO AMAYA SUÀREZ. It is available at several places on the internet. It is not strictly about musicianship, but it is the only book that I have seen that discusses how to approach correct phrasing and interpretation specifically for guitarists.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:38 am
Yes, P . . . it's called the Book of Life. Listen to great players in all genres . . . a book will not give you what you want . . . if you want to know about "musicianship," you must listen to great players. Playing again, Rognvald

O.K.,
Only a fool would contradict his previous statement so you won't catch me doing that, however, there is a book I have studied in the past that is the best: "Casals and the art of interpretation," University of California Press, 1977. If you're going to read anything, this book is a gem and is provided with excellent musical examples. However, the above statement takes precedence over any book. By the way, I was listening this morning to Roland Dyens playing: "Tango in Skai," "A Night in Tunisia," by Dizzy Gillespie, and "My Funny Valentine."---now there's a lesson in musicianship. Playing again . . .Rognvald
Here's the link to MFV https://youtu.be/f2TVjB87dyY
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”