Musicianship

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Pkelcourse

Musicianship

Post by Pkelcourse » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:41 pm

Can someone recommmend a guitar oriented musicianship book? I'm currently just explaining elements as they arise from student repertoire. Thank you

MarcusStrand

Re: Musicianship

Post by MarcusStrand » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:27 pm

What do you mean by musicianship?

Robin

Post by Robin » Sun May 07, 2017 4:39 am

Dear Pkelcourse,

I don't believe that musicianship is instrument specific. Musicianship goes beyond a short list of technical skills, dynamics or use of tone color. It rises from the performer's inner understanding of the music and is applied through his/her technical capacity using selected articulation, dynamics, tone color, etc.
I've always thought of musicianship in terms of the application of stylistic and interpretive skill but this article below cites uses singing--and more specifically, the ability to hear the music you play (or sing) before you play it. It may seem a bit off topic in regards to your request but after thinking about it, I think the author is spot on. Our ability to sing the music we play and eventually hear it in our head, forms the basis of our musicianship. It allows the music to be created within us, in our head and heart, before it gets to our fingers.

https://medium.com/@michaelkaulkin/what ... b40031476a

It's something to think about....

Robin
So much music, so little time.

Oboist

Post by Oboist » Sun May 07, 2017 5:07 pm

This is an interesting article, and it makes me wonder what the author's primary instrument is. I do think musicianship can be instrument specific; after all, the ability to sing or hear the music is very different from having the skills to produce the desired outcome. I'd also be interested to know if there is a recommended book specifically addressing guitar musicianship.

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Sun May 07, 2017 6:22 pm

Perhaps "musicality" is a better term. Try "what to listen for in music" by Aaron Copland.

Robin

Post by Robin » Mon May 15, 2017 3:28 am

Martha Master's book, Reaching the Next Level is a guitar-specific book that addresses musicianship.

Robin
So much music, so little time.

Rick Yzaguirre

Post by Rick Yzaguirre » Thu May 18, 2017 8:03 am

Isn't musicianship something shared by most musicians ... In the same way sportsmanship is something shared by most athletes? I figure its a common thread that has more to do with the love and respect for music, as well as understanding of theory like solfege, rhythm, and sight reading etc.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”