Ball End Strings?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
twistedblues

Ball End Strings?

Post by twistedblues » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:27 pm

Is it preferred to tie the strings on? As opposed to using the ball end classical strings? Any difference?

souldier

Re: Ball End Strings?

Post by souldier » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:57 pm

In theory there wouldn't be a difference, but I can't think of one good string that uses ball ends. Good strings are made the traditional way. Personally I don't like the look of ball ends
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

jpryan

Post by jpryan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Other than aesthetics there's no difference but, as souldier said, good luck finding good classical guitar strings that are made with ball ends.
--John

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:41 pm

I use them on my silent guitar for convenience and the design which favours ball ends, but otherwise see above :-)

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:02 pm

souldier wrote:In theory there wouldn't be a difference, but I can't think of one good string that uses ball ends. Good strings are made the traditional way. Personally I don't like the look of ball ends
The only half-decent ball end string for CG is Sevilla, and they are not exactly inexpensive, 20 USDs a set.

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:15 pm

ditto on balls at the end = lower end strings. functionally, the ball end = bridge bones? for treble strings the ball acts like a bone. for bass string the steel wheel acts like a bone except probably digs into the bridge. not sure how many folks want steel wheels digging into their bridge. chuck the balls and go with the bone if you do not want to tie.
My_DM2804s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks guys! Makes sense

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”