"Tips" for guitarists

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Dmitry Nilov

Re: "Tips" for guitarists

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Youtube

While providing better freedom of the fingering's choice for the right hand, this exercise will help to make your playing passages technique universal, your tactile contact while moving from one string to another closer, as well as to attain the timber evenness and the mobility of different fingers' pairs.

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Exercises/Left Hand/Independence of fingers/Part 1

Youtube

Improvement of the independence of the left hand's fingers is the main stage in the establishing of the performing technique. The aim is the development of the activity's freedom of each left hand's finger, the dynamic and precision of its movements. This clip demonstrates only one example of the most effective exercises

All the best,
DN

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Exercises/Left Hand/Independence of fingers/Part 2

Youtube

Descending and ascending legato

Improvement of the independence of the left hand's fingers is the main stage in the establishing of the performing technique. The aim is the development of the activity's freedom of each left hand's finger, the dynamic and precision of its movements.
The right's hand activity is also a very important aspect. We use all combinations of the fingers' pairs in this exercise, paying attention to the timber and dynamic evenness. The fingers' position against strings should not change.

All the best,
DN

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Dmitry, these are great exercises. It will take me a long time to work through them. Is there another place on-line where you have all of these grouped? I worry that I'll lose this thread after a while. You should write a book a la Pumping Nylon!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:32 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:Dmitry, these are great exercises. It will take me a long time to work through them. Is there another place on-line where you have all of these grouped? I worry that I'll lose this thread after a while. You should write a book a la Pumping Nylon!
Dear Jeffrey, thank you for your compliment! These clip are on my YouTube Channel grouped to the separate play list.
I'll be very glad if they are useful for you! And your questions and ideas are welcome :P

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:36 am

Fingernail shape, length, profile, polishing and care for guitarists.
Please, consult with your teacher before using glue made of cyanoacrylate!

Youtube

:D
DN

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:56 am

Youtube

Today a term "modern technique of sound" frequently appears and is perceived by the overwhelming majority of pedagogues as the most promising. Dmitry Nilov doesn't regard the performing technique of F. Tarrega, M. Llobet, A. Barrios, E. Pujol, A. Segovia, I. Presti and A. Lagoya, J. Williams, Romero family, C. Parkening and other prominent artists of the XX-XXI centuries as the past of the guitar art. In his opinion it is a classical or basic one, musicians can and should use it as a point of support in their performing quest and it would be wrong to neglect it.
For Dmitry it's a model which he follows, relevance and prospects of which he substantiates briefly in this clip, at the same time not disclaiming the right of musicians to look for new techniques to discover all possibilities of the instrument.

To be continued in the Part 2.

All the best,
DN

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:58 am

Youtube

Always yours,
DN

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Natural harmonics vibrato is a simple, but a very lucky find for classical guitarists. Using this technique you can add several amazing accents-"salts" that will decorate a performed piece and will arouse public's interest.

Youtube

All the best,
DN

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:20 pm

I took the Etude №1 by Emilio Pujol as a base for the first part of this exercise. It's a very good example because of the opportunity to play with the "p" not only on neighboring spun strings, but also next but one, improving the tactile contact and developing the movability of the thumb.
Then I pay attention to the extensor. I consider this moment to be crucial for the developing of the classical guitar performing technique. Classical guitar players don't use such technical actions in the majority of cases (in virtue of the repertoire) whereby confining their technical capacities.
In the clip only the direction vector of the work is shown, but it's the theme by itself that is worth looking at more closely. Beyond all doubts it is subject not only to the thumb.

Youtube

:D

DN

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Dmitry, Thanks for making these excellent videos, I'm really enjoying the right hand technique videos. I wonder if you would consider making a video that talks about your opinions on how the right hand fingers and finger joints move for rest stroke and free stroke? In other words, how much the main knuckle joint contributes to the stroke vs the middle joint, or do you advocate collapsing the tip joint at all...these kinds of details. It would be nice to see something like this with close-ups of the right hand. Thanks very much!
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:36 pm

guit-box wrote:Dmitry, Thanks for making these excellent videos, I'm really enjoying the right hand technique videos. I wonder if you would consider making a video that talks about your opinions on how the right hand fingers and finger joints move for rest stroke and free stroke? In other words, how much the main knuckle joint contributes to the stroke vs the middle joint, or do you advocate collapsing the tip joint at all...these kinds of details. It would be nice to see something like this with close-ups of the right hand. Thanks very much!
What an interesting question, thank you! I used to prioritize the music over such themes. But if my students have a question like that we try to find a solution one on one. I'll think about your suggestion and how to make a video about it in general

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:14 pm

guit-box wrote:Dmitry, Thanks for making these excellent videos, I'm really enjoying the right hand technique videos. I wonder if you would consider making a video that talks about your opinions on how the right hand fingers and finger joints move for rest stroke and free stroke? In other words, how much the main knuckle joint contributes to the stroke vs the middle joint, or do you advocate collapsing the tip joint at all...these kinds of details. It would be nice to see something like this with close-ups of the right hand. Thanks very much!
I thought a little bit more about your question. In this video there are enough views of the right hand, rest stroke and free stroke. May be here you can find anything interesting for you.

Youtube

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:07 pm

I've watched all your videos and I think your playing is amazing. It's not so much a video I was looking for but your specific thoughts on the topic. I can see from all the excellent closeup videos you've posted what I think is going on. (in terms of how the finger joints move) I was more curious how you thought about the topic of finger joint movements.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

ctepsick

Post by ctepsick » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:06 pm

Thank you for posting these! They are really beautiful and informative. Thank you for sharing!

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”