Method Books – Charles Duncan or Frederick Noad which would you choose if you had to learn from one of these methods?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
spanishguitarmusic

Method Books – Charles Duncan or Frederick Noad which would you choose if you had to learn from one of these methods?

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:21 am

Hello Fellow Forum Members. :)

I am a beginner level classical guitarist, but I know how to read notes at a beginning level. I don’t have access to a teacher and as a result only want to learn myself. Currently, I only have book 3 of Charles Duncan’s A Modern Approach to Classical Guitar. I bought this book years ago in a music store, but they only had book 3 and not book 1 or 2 so I bought book 3, because it was on sale for a very good price. I haven’t started going through the book yet as its too difficult for my level. I’ve been hearing so many good things about Frederick Noad’s Solo Guitar Playing books 1 and 2. I would like to purchase a method book to start learning from level one. I am wondering, should I go ahead and buy Charles Duncan’s book 1 and 2, since I already have his book 3 or should I just switch method and go with Frederick Noad’s Solo Guitar Playing books 1 and after book 2?

What is everyone’s opinion here on the forum, about Frederick Noad’s method books as opposed to Charles Duncan’s method? Is one method better than the other or are they pretty much similar for a beginner classical guitarist? If you were to teach yourself from a method book and these were the only two methods to learn from, without the aid of a teacher, which method would you choose to learn from, Frederick Noad’s or Charles Duncan’s? I only list this two methods, because I already have Duncan’s book 3 and I’ve heard great things from Frederick Noad’s method. :merci:

Any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated and helpful! :bye:

jpryan

Re: Method Books – Charles Duncan or Frederick Noad which would you choose if you had to learn from one of these methods

Post by jpryan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:20 am

I can recommend Fred Noad's books because I've used them and taught from them. I haven't used the Duncan method books so can't say anything for or against them. I can tell you all methods are certainly not equal.
--John

spanishguitarmusic

Re: Method Books – Charles Duncan or Frederick Noad which would you choose if you had to learn from one of these methods

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:50 pm

jpryan wrote:I can recommend Fred Noad's books because I've used them and taught from them. I haven't used the Duncan method books so can't say anything for or against them. I can tell you all methods are certainly not equal.
:merci: for your message! I was also thinking that Frederick Noad's books would be good for me. I've only heard great things about this method. Thanks. :bye:

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:27 pm

I've used the Noad Book with good effect also. Don't over look the Sagreras method that you can download free from this site. It gets pretty good reviews too.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:39 pm

I have liked Noad's book, but haven't tried Duncan so I can't say anything about that. Noad progresses in a reasonable pace and the excercises are musical enough to not get "bored to death". Perhaps the rather high amount of duo excercises would be better done if you had an access to a teacher or at least a guitar-playing friend. I have understood (by reading this forum) that the preferred left-hand fingering is not necessarily anymore same that they use in methods that are several decades old. (There are discussions here about the current "fourth finger approach" etc.)

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:14 am

BugDog wrote:I've used the Noad Book with good effect also. Don't over look the Sagreras method that you can download free from this site. It gets pretty good reviews too.
:merci: for your message! That's another vote for the Noad Books. I was also thinking about the Sagreras method that's available for free on this site. I looked at it too, but I just can't seem to decide if I should just go with this free Sagreras method or pay for the Noad methods? Thanks again! :) :bye:

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:22 am

Luuttuaja wrote:I have liked Noad's book, but haven't tried Duncan so I can't say anything about that. Noad progresses in a reasonable pace and the excercises are musical enough to not get "bored to death". Perhaps the rather high amount of duo excercises would be better done if you had an access to a teacher or at least a guitar-playing friend. I have understood (by reading this forum) that the preferred left-hand fingering is not necessarily anymore same that they use in methods that are several decades old. (There are discussions here about the current "fourth finger approach" etc.)
:merci: for your response! This is three votes for the Noad method. Thanks also for explaining the progress the Noad method makes. :) :bye:

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:26 am

I guess Noad has some more guidance text in his book than Sagreras, regarding technical issues, interpretation, some "historical facts" etc. I like the way Noad explains things, not only putting progressive excercises one after another.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:54 am

Luuttuaja wrote:I guess Noad has some more guidance text in his book than Sagreras, regarding technical issues, interpretation, some "historical facts" etc. I like the way Noad explains things, not only putting progressive excercises one after another.
:merci: again for the added suggestions on the Noad method books! I know there is the free Sagreras method available for free here and also I know of a classical guitarist that is offering a free method volume 1 on his website. I am just thinking if I should go with free methods or pay money for them. Although, you have been very helpful in explaining how Noad methods are better than the Sagreras method. Thanks again. :)

Here is the website of this classical guitar that is offering his free method volume 1. There is also a lot of sheet music available on this website. Take a look and see if you like the website. You probably already know this website! :)

http://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/sh ... al-guitar/

leafhound

Post by leafhound » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:02 am

all three methods are very good, however there's a people/purists that dont like the fingering in the Noad books.

Sagreras is a very traditional method held in high praise, it is graded but it can get a little monotonous/drill like, also with this method it is a good idea to add in your own supplements from right here at delcamp D01, 02, 03......

robert e

Post by robert e » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:24 am

Whichever you choose, if you're self-teaching, I imagine the book+CD version of either would be preferable. For the adult self-learner who needs to understand the theory behind the technique, I would suggest, in addition to a method book, something like Charles Duncan's Art of Classical Guitar, which is not an instruction book but a very detailed discussion of the whys and hows of technique.

From my brief encounter with A Modern Approach, I'd say Duncan seems to go out of his way to be friendly, nonintimidating and uncomplicated, which I guess is what you'd want from a first book, but I hear the same about Noad's book as well. I presume you've already looked at this older thread about Noad's method? viewtopic.php?t=25357

Hubert Kappel's Bible of Classical Guitar Technique seems like a very thorough, detailed treatise aimed at serious adults, combining technique and theory, thus possibly suitable for adult self-teaching, but its tone is all business, which won't appeal to all.

Have you considered the interactive course offered on this site?

astro64

Post by astro64 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:01 am

If you want to get a good tone, I think you will not easily learn that on your own from method books. Look at good instructional videos, there is much information on Youtube. Or buy Tennant's "pumping nylon DVD", not just the book.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Noad. I self-taught with it, and teach out of it. His method seems to get a lot of derision these days and I don't know why... it's extremely progressive, has tons of examples that are musical enough that you can play them without slitting your wrists, and simply the best sight reading study I have seen anywhere. It also has enough solo pieces in it to qualify as an anthology, and Noad was VERY good at picking music that is really enjoyable to play and hear yet level appropriate.

As a teacher I don't use it stand-alone; I supplement with other stuff. But if that other stuff wan't available it's good enough to serve as a stand-alone; in fact this is the only thing I had when I was learning. No other books, no other printed music, nothing. This book all by itself carried me to an intermediate level. For a single product tht will take you from beginner to intermediate nothing else, in my opinion, even comes close. And with the 4th edition going for less than $15 on Amazon it is also the best deal going... the music alone would be worth that.

Contrary to what someone above said, don't get the CD. If I'd had the CD I would never have learned to sight-read.

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:48 pm

I own and have used both author's volumes. Each one have some benefits over the other. The Noad volume is published under one single book. The Duncan Three volumes takes a better paced instructional approach. I believe that for a "never-before played guitar student" the Duncan volumes are a better choice. Why? It does not "rushes" thru a lesson to the next step. the "slow is fast" approach to teaching -
For players already familiar with the guitar and sight-reading I would say that the Noad volume will bring quicker results.
It is really a personal choice that should be based on the student background about guitar playing.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Joe de V wrote:I own and have used both author's volumes. Each one have some benefits over the other. The Noad volume is published under one single book. The Duncan Three volumes takes a better paced instructional approach. I believe that for a "never-before played guitar student" the Duncan volumes are a better choice. Why? It does not "rushes" thru a lesson to the next step. the "slow is fast" approach to teaching -
For players already familiar with the guitar and sight-reading I would say that the Noad volume will bring quicker results.
It is really a personal choice that should be based on the student background about guitar playing.
Noad's book doesn't feel rushed to me at all; there are copious examples for every concept illustrated. Where do you feel that it is rushed? I had zero sight reading experience when I studied from it.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”