Method Books – Charles Duncan or Frederick Noad which would you choose if you had to learn from one of these methods?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
tormodg

Re: Method Books – Charles Duncan or Frederick Noad which would you choose if you had to learn from one of these methods

Post by tormodg » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:21 am

I have used Noad's book since forever (around 1990), they are great - I still play several pieces from the books.

Duncan's method is excellent, but more philosophical. I enjoyed it a lot when I was a student 25 years ago - it took me down a different, deeper path to understanding how to play and enjoy classical guitar.

I think Duncan's books are best enjoyed when you reach a higher level and have more experience.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

robert e

Re: Method Books – Charles Duncan or Frederick Noad which would you choose if you had to learn from one of these methods

Post by robert e » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:18 pm

tormodg wrote:I have used Noad's book since forever (around 1990), they are great - I still play several pieces from the books.

Duncan's method is excellent, but more philosophical. I enjoyed it a lot when I was a student 25 years ago - it took me down a different, deeper path to understanding how to play and enjoy classical guitar.

I think Duncan's books are best enjoyed when you reach a higher level and have more experience.
You're probably thinking of Duncan's older "Art of Classical Guitar", which is indeed more analytical and philosophical, and which I recommended above as a supplement to a method for those adults interested in going deeper into the theory behind the technique. It was a popular college level textbook, according to Duncan.

But the OP is asking about the more recent "A Modern Approach", which is a method book for the complete beginner to get up and playing quickly. And suitable, I think, for kids as well as adults.

Let me also note that Duncan's "A Modern Approach" is available in a single compilation volume, which is, like the Sagreras books, available in spiral or comb binding. For me the binding would be one point in favor for these books--maybe a minor point, considering many books can be rebound, but it might help break a tie.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:28 pm

What do people think of Shearer?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:46 am

ashworth wrote:I've been using both the Sagreras and the Noad (and also the Carcassi) by turns. If I had to recommend one, I'd say the Sagreras. A couple of things about the Noad method, excellent though it is—I do find that it progresses pretty fast in terms of difficulty, which has led me to some frustration at times. Also the repertoire is heavily weighted toward Renaissance music, (at least as far as I've gotten, which is the latter part of book 1). That is great if that's your liking, but it isn't my particular interest.

The Sagreras contains some really nice pieces that are written specifically for the guitar and what I find to be a more suitable rate of progress with the difficulty level. But again, the Noad is certainly an excellent method in many respects; there is much more helpful text and explanation than in the Sagreras, for one thing.
:merci: so much for your comment and in suggesting the Sagreras method and for explaining the difference in the Noad method! I will definitely keep this in mind. :)

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:51 am

robert e wrote:You're probably thinking of Duncan's older "Art of Classical Guitar" [...] But the OP is asking about the more recent "A Modern Approach", which is a method book for the complete beginner to get up and playing quickly. And suitable, I think, for kids as well as adults.
Ah...you're right of course! Thank you for pointing that out. :)
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”