Ana Vidovic's tremolo

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
twistedblues

Ana Vidovic's tremolo

Postby twistedblues » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:25 pm

The old thread is locked/archived

Anyone know what fingers Ana Vidovic uses to play this?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-tVxcecF5m0

It looks like pmim? Or is it mi? Is she doing the tremolo strings with P? Or just the mi?

guitarrista

Re: Ana Vidovic's tremolo

Postby guitarrista » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:44 pm

It's pmim.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Mr Kite

Postby Mr Kite » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:55 pm

As far as I know, twistedblues, when people say pami or pmim or whatever it doesn't mean that all those digits are always used on the same string. I'm sure guitarrista is right but I think it's just the mim on the tremolo strings.

Mr Kite

Postby Mr Kite » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:55 pm

But why would you want to copy her anyway?

mike.janel

Postby mike.janel » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:39 pm

It is a good exercise, along with piai, pama etc.
But as a main technique this is not the best idea, unless there is some physical limitation.

Mike.
Michael
-----------------------------------------------
2013 Amalio Burguet 3M (Cedar)
1989 Yamaha CG 110 (Spruce)
1982 Yamaha G 255S (Spruce)

Julian Ward

Postby Julian Ward » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:44 pm

Yes he means she does a two fingured tremolo. I have tried it and it's quite effective and I can get the speed needed but I found it to be noisy for whatever reason, very powerful but I made too much nail sound. If you are going to do it the correct pattern is p-m-i-m-p-i-m-i etc to correctly balance the hand, otherwise it will want to gallop because you are effectively repeating a finger consecutively.

souldier

Postby souldier » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:59 pm

My guess is Vidovic uses a different tremolo pattern to add character to Requerdos rather than it sounding overly uniform and robotic. I'm not sure if that is her intention, but I do like her rendition compared to some others I've heard for this reason.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

astro64

Postby astro64 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:52 pm

Vidovic always plays pmim on tremolo, she has mentioned this in masterclasses and interviews. No alternation with pimi, as far as I know.

guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:16 am

souldier wrote:My guess is Vidovic uses a different tremolo pattern to add character to Requerdos rather than it sounding overly uniform and robotic. I'm not sure if that is her intention, but I do like her rendition compared to some others I've heard for this reason.

I am pretty sure she is doing it out of necessity - as she has said that she did not like how her "a" stroke sounded as part of the pami tremolo. So she switched to pmim.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Salvador

Postby Salvador » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:31 am

I like her Recuerdos, she is one of the best. For learning tremolo. For me, it's good to use the usual pami fingerings first. When you are already familiar, you can now experiment. I always use pami because you can play it fast, unlike the other fingerings it's hard to play it fast. It's also a good exercise for the 'a' finger.

There are some exercises that i use to minimize the horse sound in tremolo. It works for me but i don't know for others. So that's why always use pami.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”