V-L Prelude No 1: 2 fingers slidy up and down bit

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
JohnB

V-L Prelude No 1: 2 fingers slidy up and down bit

Post by JohnB » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:20 pm

In Villa-Lobos Prelude No 1 there are 6 bars in the outer sections, following the third "climax" where the bass, played on the D string, moves down from D to B while two fingers of the left hand (usually 3 and 4) slide up and down on the G and E strings.

When I play these bars the bass notes (which carry the melody) end up with a great deal of slow motion, unintentional, pseudo "vibrato" as the 3 and 4 fingers move up and down the G and E strings.

How do others play this passage to minimise the effect?
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Julian Ward

Re: V-L Prelude No 1: 2 fingers slidy up and down bit

Post by Julian Ward » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Do you mean your finger one is doing unintentional vibrato and you don't want it to?

JohnB

Re: V-L Prelude No 1: 2 fingers slidy up and down bit

Post by JohnB » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:05 pm

Yes, the movement of 3 and 4 up and down a semitone inadvertantly causes the finger fretting the bass note to create a slow pseudo "vibrato". It is very evident if I play the passage with my left hand but only sound the bass note.

I guess that this effect is usually disguised by the treble notes, which most people emphasise somewhat, diverting the attention.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”