Arm supports for RSI?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
twistedblues

Arm supports for RSI?

Post by twistedblues » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Can someone recommend some solutions to problems such as tennis elbow and carpal tunnel and so on?

And what is this guy wearing in this video?

https://vimeo.com/125600156

guit-box

Re: Arm supports for RSI?

Post by guit-box » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Looks like a classical guitar arm sleeve. You can get then at strings by mail, but it's basically the same as a compression sleeve that you can buy at the drug store. For RSI you'd want something that keeps the arm from digging in, this doesn't do that. There's one called Luva with a rigid insert, or you can just buy something like a small shin pad at a sporting store and put that inbetween the sleeve and your arm

I have tennis elbow and the best thing that seems to help is a heating pad--electric and/or microwave kind. Also, ibuprofen at the highest doses. Talk to your doc or drugs.com to see about that, I think you can take as much as double the OTC dose if tolerated.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:49 pm

Thank you!

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Any other recommendations for this type of product? Anyone else using arm bands?

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Just my advice on the subject. I think supports just do a little help, which is good and nice, but don't rely on them. Problem should be treated through better body knowledge, body care and good guitar technique, working with a good guitar teacher and a physiotherapist. Be careful with some accessories that force some positioning or simply release unnecessary pain, since they will encourage you to keep doing things wrong or to do them even worse. Feeling pain is actually a good advice from the body, don't simply release pain from external medicine or device, try to solve internal body root cause.
With that said, I actually like the arm sleeve with the piece of plastic below it, when using traditional posture. Besides comfort from guitar edge, I think it makes arm sliping easier for active hand positioning and also seems to get more sound from some guitars (preventing direct arm-flesh contact will let guitar vibrate more).
There is a band you can put on the forearm over muscles to release their tension, or an accessory you put over wrist to keep it "right". I don't recommend such things. You might use them eventually, trying to feel what happens and trying to learn from the feeling and checking your body. But don't use them systematically, don't let them build uncontrolled and unconscious reflexes.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”