Six String Chords

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
twistedblues

Six String Chords

Post by twistedblues » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:47 am

What are some typical right hand fingerings when playing a six string E Minor chord?

guitareleven

Re: Six String Chords

Post by guitareleven » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:31 am

(reply to a misconstrual of the original question removed) Okay, if you are asking about right hand fingerings of a six string e minor chord, one question I have is, how would the answer be contingent upon the chord being an e minor? If it's a six string chord, then the question simply goes to the sounding of six strings, no matter what chord it is, doesn't it?

Anyway, what would affect the answer would be the written texture, or the texture you want to produce, in any instance. If written (pr improvised) as a simultaneity on one note stem then probably a single upward stroke with the thumb, or the index finger, or a rasgeado with multiple fingers would do. If a rolled chord is indicated or desired, then most likely would be an upward roll using the thumb successively on the sixth, fifth and fourth strings, and I-M-A on the upper strings. It is enabling to the thumb rest-stroke aspect and the thumb-finger transition to play from a high wrist position with the wrist kept still.

In various arpeggiated textures, one may begin with the basic thumb-on-bass, I-M-A on 3rd-2nd-1st string allocations, but there are so many possible arpegggiated textures that just about any consecutive re-ordering of string-finger assignment may arise. In other words, the question is too general to admit of a meaningful response. Do you have some specific instances you are wondering about?

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:50 pm

Specifically, strings played in this order

6E then 5A then 4D then 3G then 2B then 1E then 2B then 3G then 4D then 5A then 6E

guitareleven

Post by guitareleven » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:49 pm

Quickly executed, this is a flourish frequently featured in flamenco, but could be found anywhere. A typical right hand fingering would be to roll the chord upwards using P-P-P-I-M-A (as described in the post above at "If a rolled chord is desired...", played from the high wrist position suggested) then, upon attaining to the 1st string, the wrist is lowered and the A finger, instead of being played with free stroke as is appurtenant to its function in the arpeggiation of the I-M-A fingers in an upwards only roll, is dragged in succession across the strings downward by a motion in which the entire hand is drawn upwards. So, P-P-P-I-M-A-A-A-A-A-A. When the rocking motion of the change in wrist attitude is absorbed, this can be executed quite smoothly, and becomes an autonomous gesture, very "natural", so to speak. It even works to connect a series of them by re-commencing with the thumb when the 6th string is attained to at the end of the gesture.

Some people might prefer to replace the typical upward roll fingering with a dragging of the thumb all the way up to the 2nd strings, and then using the index finger in a drag from the 1st string down, but I find this a less intuitive, and more likely to introduce a slight but audible hitch in the proceedings at the more severe and abrubt change in right hand attitude in transitioning from the upwards thumb drag to downwards index drag configurations.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:14 pm

I use my little finger for stuff like this.

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:22 am

Thumb twice? On E and A strings?

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”