What determines ami or mi?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
twistedblues

What determines ami or mi?

Post by twistedblues » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:32 pm

What are some guidelines on when to use specific finger combinations?

Would you typically use ami when there are a lot of consecutive 16th notes regardless of the tempo?

And mi for 8th notes?

2handband

Re: What determines ami or mi?

Post by 2handband » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:45 pm

You do. Everyone does it differently.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:37 am

You do not say, but it is implied that you are referring to a single-string sequence of notes (else the quick answer is that if you are playing three different strings as in an arpeggio, use a-m-i). If so, the usual practice is to alternate two fingers - i-m most likely. Single-string i-m alternation is not much trouble up to say 600 strokes/minute, i.e. doing 4 notes per click at 150 clicks/min, i.e. 16th notes at 150bpm, assuming the beats correspond to quarter notes.

It is up to you if you want to try learning a-m-i alternation as well. I find it is a very different beast than learning quick i-m alternation. This is because the usual-for-me hand position setup (a bit angled towards the i finger) for i-m does not work well when you add the "a" finger which is shorter than the "m" finger but is on the "longer" side of it. So I find it is a different technique to master altogether.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:14 am

it's up to you. I use mi or im in playing scales. Sometimes mi with a in changing strings. For tremolo i use ami because i am comfortable with that and i believe it's commonly used.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”