What did Manuel Barrueco not like about Aaron Shearer's lessons?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
twistedblues

What did Manuel Barrueco not like about Aaron Shearer's lessons?

Post by twistedblues » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:40 pm

Manuel mentions in interviews that he refused to do a couple specific techniques or whatever any other way than his own but no one mentions the specifics. Anyone know?

Gary Macleod

Re: What did Manuel Barrueco not like about Aaron Shearer's lessons?

Post by Gary Macleod » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:23 pm

From what I remember I think barrueco was more into apoyando and Shearer wasn't.

Michael Lazar
Luthier

Post by Michael Lazar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:35 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:From what I remember I think barrueco was more into apoyando and Shearer wasn't.
I think it might have been the other way around.

I'm not sure about Barrueco but most professionals disagreed with Shearers relaxed fingertip joint approach as part of the right hand technique. Shearer himself later later said that he would not have advocated it if he were able to go back in time. Personally I found the approach very helpful in overcoming a tendency to "claw" the strings and to eventually gain better control over my tone production and reduce tension.

Shearer was also criticized for advocating apoyando almost exclusively as a mechanism for bringing out melody lines and he later recanted on that as well.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:19 pm

Michael Lazar wrote:

Shearer was also criticized for advocating apoyando almost exclusively as a mechanism for bringing out melody lines and he later recanted on that as well.
The old fashioned approach

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:02 pm

There is an Youtube interview where Barrueco sais (with other words) that he thought Shearer's students had weak sound and he didn't want to become like that. I am not sure if nowadays he still think this from Shearer's students, he said that in the context when he was a student. There are a few interviews with him at youtube, I don't remmeber in which one I heard that from him.
It is interesting, because the only concert I watched him live, around 5 years ago, I found his sound weak... But I felt he was just playing in a "secure" zone, maybe he was tired or not in a good day. In his older recordings and videos he seems to play with more energy.

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:46 am

Here’s a recent article on the “Classical Guitar” website, in which Barrueco discusses his time with Shearer. It touches on some of the questions posed on this thread.

http://classicalguitarmagazine.com/manu ... r-teacher/

And here’s a story Shearer told. Near the end of Barrueco’s student tenure at Peabody, his father met Shearer. As he approached Shearer, he smiled and said: “Mr. Shearer, I know what you’ve been through!” Shearer laughed and replied: “Mr. Barrueco, I know what you mean!”

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”