Commonly used Rhythmic Patterns

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
twistedblues

Commonly used Rhythmic Patterns

Post by twistedblues » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 pm

Is there a list of commonly used rhythmic patterns used in various classical music?

2handband

Re: Commonly used Rhythmic Patterns

Post by 2handband » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:24 am

Not so much. It's too broad a category, with far too many different styles and periods to work through. It might help if you narrowed it down by style or era, but even then it's a huge topic.

Let me offer a suggestion. Forget about patterns, and just master rhythm. You don't even need your guitar to work on it. If I'm standing in line at the grocery store I'll probably be tapping out a beat with my foot while I play rhythmic patterns on my thighs with the index fingers of both hands (if you're serious about music you'll find ways to practice no matter where you are or what you are doing). Start simple... work on just tapping a beat with your foot and doing straight 8ths with one hand. Then break up the 8ths; leave out a couple of the upbeats and congratulations... you're playing a pattern! Then try leaving out down beats. And so on. Once you can do a lot of things with one hand while keeping a pulse with your foot try adding another hand. Be creative.

The ultimate goal is to have rhythm so internalized that the technique involved with playing any rhythmic pattern or motif that's thrown your way is trivial... then you can stop thinking in terms of patterns and just play.

Edited to add: turn down no opportunity to learn to play drums. This will get you on the fast track. I have a drumkit in my rehearsal room. It's mostly there for actual drummers to use when they are at my house, but I try to spend five minutes or so a day playing various drumming patterns on it. I get more out of that than any other single thing I do to keep my timing tight.

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:51 pm

Thank you

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:06 pm

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Here is a partial list of Rhythms used in Flamenco music

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”