finger exerciser

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
rg.2714

finger exerciser

Postby rg.2714 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:17 pm

Since I been working at a store overnight for a few months I'm trying to find ways to "practice" at work. So I bought these little guy (attachment) to use while I'm at work. But I was reading some threads in here and people were advising against using the device (seemed like they were talking about using it on the right hand) It'd already too late to return it. So I was considering using on my left hand fingers to gain a little more strength and help me have a much clearer sound when pressing the strings. What do you guys think? Good idea bad idea? The device is adjustable and can go from 4lbs to 7 lbs. I'm not going all the way to 7lbs. obviously guitar will be my main source of finger exercise. This is just a little extra help for when I'm at work away from my guitar at .

(Was unable to attached file due to size limit :( Lol)

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Re: finger exerciser

Postby Ramon Amira » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:54 pm

I seem to recall a story about a famous concert pianist who decided to strengthen his fingers by attaching little weights to them, and exercising them with the weights on. He ended up not being able to play any more, as the story goes.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

johnd

Postby johnd » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:13 pm

It does not take much force to press down on the strings. I would think it would be more beneficial to do finger stretching exercises when you are sitting on your butt watching TV or whatever.

Briant

Postby Briant » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:19 am

Robert Schumann was supposed to have badly injured his hands through using a finger exerciser.

mdub2000

Postby mdub2000 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:09 am

man i wish there was some decent research on this...i remember in the 80's all the different finger exercisers that were coming out for metal guitarists lol

Cincy2

Postby Cincy2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:35 pm

The hardest part of playing guitar for me is learning to stop pressing too hard. Go to youtube and search for guitar prodigies. Little munchkin kids 5 or 6 years old playing full size guitars with amazing dexterity! After you watch a few of those ask yourself if you really need more finger strength or just better technique. I threw my finger buster away years and years ago after such an epiphany.

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

robin loops

Postby robin loops » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:50 pm

You could do finger dexterity and independence exercises (without an instrument). I also like to use down time to read through music.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:12 pm

I recommend you learn to practice mentally. Close your eyes, relax and visualize the music or finger exercises as if you were playing them. You can start visualizing only one hand at time, or only the music. With everyday practice you start getting used to it and then you will see it is almost as effective as actually playing. The majority of the greatest players do this. I know several busy concert players that practice their concert mentally while in the airplane etc.

Anastas

Postby Anastas » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:28 am

Luis_Br wrote:I recommend you learn to practice mentally. Close your eyes, relax and visualize the music or finger exercises as if you were playing them. You can start visualizing only one hand at time, or only the music. With everyday practice you start getting used to it and then you will see it is almost as effective as actually playing. The majority of the greatest players do this. I know several busy concert players that practice their concert mentally while in the airplane etc.

Fully agree with Luis_Br. With relation to that I would also recommend to read the chapter for memorizing music in part two of the Aaron Shearer's method.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”