Drawbacks to using Piano Bench for practice chair?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
twistedblues

Drawbacks to using Piano Bench for practice chair?

Postby twistedblues » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:04 pm

Are there any drawbacks to using a piano bench fir a practice chair? S it bad for the back to use a chair with no back?

And

What do you use?

souldier

Re: Drawbacks to using Piano Bench for practice chair?

Postby souldier » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:13 pm

No real problems with this and I've seen guitarists do this for performance. Classical guitar posture does not involve leaning and resting on a back support. I think you'd really benefit from watching some videos or reading books on standard classical guitar posture then find what is most comfortable for you. Having a teacher would of course be the most ideal.

The main consideration with a chair really is the height. The height of the chair whether you are using a foot stool or guitar support will affect the height of the guitar. You want to find a chair that will put the guitar in a position that is not too low or high. When I sit, I like my left thigh to be parallel with the ground (since I use a guitar support). This allows the guitar to be at a good height and it prevents the guitar from sliding forward down my thigh.

A guitar with some padding also helps for long practice sessions.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

BellyDoc

Postby BellyDoc » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:43 pm

I was in a constant battle with my daughter over the bench for our piano. I loved it for playing guitar. I ended up buying a bench of my own and even modifying it slightly so it would go lower.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

twistedblues

Postby twistedblues » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Good for performance. What about using one for hours of practice?

bear

Postby bear » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:50 pm

how's your back?
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Any recommendations for an adjustable height, sturdy, piano bench? I love the idea both because of the adjustable height and because of the padding.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Cincy2

Postby Cincy2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:23 pm

I have a piano bench that is adjustable and was fairly priced (Made in China). The problem I discovered was that when I switched from foot stool to ErgoPlay, I need to have a lower seat to keep my left thigh level with the floor. Can't do that with this brand bench. Try before you buy is the lesson.

Cincy
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

bear

Postby bear » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:41 pm

guitarrista wrote:Any recommendations for an adjustable height, sturdy, piano bench? I love the idea both because of the adjustable height and because of the padding.

I use a gel cushion from a wheelchair on a straight back kitchen chair. Cheaper than a bench and easy to transport.

BellyDoc

Postby BellyDoc » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:11 am

I'll try to keep this short - which is not my strong suit! I apologize for threadjacking, in advance.

I considered chairs with backs. I didn't find one that I liked. Many that are padded have overly soft centers and a frame around the edge. Sitting forward isn't comfortable. Some slope to keep you in the seat. Others are too hard or the wrong height.

I was interested in the "Nota Music Posture Chair", online, but I never found an example to try out locally. It looks like a good design but it has a metal frame and would have been more difficult to modify than wood, if necessary.

When we got our piano, I really liked the bench. Here's a picture:

The padding is dense and my bones don't contact the wood, unlike my previous cheapo folding keyboard bench.

Our piano bench goes low enough for my legs to sit level. I need it all the way down. Unfortunately, my daughter needs it up at the height pictured for playing piano. I need it in my office for practicing guitar. My daughter needs it in the living room for practicing piano.

War ensued. I lost.

I hunted around to find something similar and found "Adjustable Pillow Top Genuine Leather Artist Piano Bench in Walnut Satin" on Amazon. This is the kind I bought.

Here it is in my office:

It meets my needs for a supportive dense pad that spares my bones from pressure. However, it sat higher than I thought ideal. The legs are attached with hex key bolts. I removed them, unscrewed the cheap little feet and trimmed about 3/4" off the wood from the ends on my table saw. Then I added felt pads:

I'm enjoying the result. I really do need a nice level thigh for using my guitar support and this meets that need. Between the effective padding and the guitar support, I can go as long as I want to and I'm not limited by my back. Now, I just have to deal with shoulders and elbows!
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

robin loops

Postby robin loops » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:58 am

If its padded like the ones on the previous posts, nothing. You really can't lean back in a chair while in classical position so the back just gets in the way (if your chair has one). I like drum thrones because of the rounded seat, but it is important that it can be locked down so as not to spin freely.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:03 am

bear wrote:
guitarrista wrote:Any recommendations for an adjustable height, sturdy, piano bench? I love the idea both because of the adjustable height and because of the padding.

I use a gel cushion from a wheelchair on a straight back kitchen chair. Cheaper than a bench and easy to transport.

Yeah. I tried all sorts of cushions - gel and not - (though not one from a wheelchair - will go examine one in a store to see if it is different).. my ass still sinks through eventually, as the padding compresses, and I feel like my bones hit the hard part of the chair through the padding :-) so I am hunting for something that does not have a hard base.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

robin loops

Postby robin loops » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:33 am

Memory foam for wheelchairs or driving works really good and lasts a long time, but has to be the firm type. The soft ones wear out really fast.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

BellyDoc

Postby BellyDoc » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:35 am

I agree with you about bones hitting the hard base through the foam. That's a problem. However, I don't recommend avoiding the "hard base" as you describe. That's stability. The alternate is a chair with solid edges and a suspended center which doesn't do well with edge-sitting, and for me it feels like I have to exert some thigh tension to hold still. I tried various "side chairs" at furniture stores that have no arms. They all felt best when sitting against the back, incompatible with playing my guitar.

Ironically a denser, more compressed foam pad layer is my solution. That's what the piano artist bench has. If you can't sink in till the point where the bones hit the boards, then you get even pressure. You don't need to sink in far to be happy.

I even tried re-upholstering a seat using 2 layers of foam, one super dense and one modest density. It's still not the right answer. The piano bench has diamond tufting which pre compresses the foam, effectively increasing it's density. I'm all about DIY projects but I couldn't beat the commercially made piano artist bench.

Armin Hanika 56PF

bear

Postby bear » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 am

guitarrista wrote:
bear wrote:

Yeah. I tried all sorts of cushions - gel and not - (though not one from a wheelchair - will go examine one in a store to see if it is different).. my ass still sinks through eventually, as the padding compresses, and I feel like my bones hit the hard part of the chair through the padding :-) so I am hunting for something that does not have a hard base.

The one I have is about 2 inches thick.

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:41 pm

All piano chairs I've tried seemed to high to me, even in its the lowest position. Knees become lower than sit and guitar accessory need to be higher, but right leg becomes too low and guitar position is not in the place I like. Maybe it is a bit higher because pianists rest their feet on the pedals? But if you can customize it to a range in between your ergonomics it might be nice.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”